Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Saipanne wrote: »
    I wonder what era this will cover?

Looks like John Marston to me.

The hats and the guns are a dead give away no? Would suggest Western. :eek::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Id love Europe middle ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

If the leaked map earlier in the year is true, it'll be fooking huge, so there better be cars!

Model T's or at the very least, a god-damn DeLorean :D

And P.S. the character in the middle, could be
    Jack Marston

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I think character switching will happen. One criticism I've heard from the few players I know who tried the game and didn't like it was that they hated all the horseback riding from one side of the map to the other.

now personally I love the horseback riding, I just loved being in the World and even on my third complete play-through I still ride from 'A' to 'B' constantly, but this is likely to be a huge map and jumping between characters gets them around that problem.

Nah character switching was a GTA GPS thing. How would you find that sweet raw hide on your travels or miss someone randomly getting hog tide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lukker- wrote: »
    Not really.

The original only launched on 360 and PS3 which are totally different architectures than PCs.

PS4 and XB1 are x86 and essentially PC lite. Porting games over and back is much more simplified. That's why GTAV for PC was so much better than GTAIV.

But every other Rockstar console game of that era made it PC, aside from Red Dead. That, coupled with the fact that they've deliberately avoided confirming a PC version makes me very dubious.

• Advertisement

But every other Rockstar console game of that era made it PC, aside from Red Dead. That, coupled with the fact that they've deliberately avoided confirming a PC version makes me very dubious.

I'd play it on a true 4k xbox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nah character switching was a GTA GPS thing. How would you find that sweet raw hide on your travels or miss someone randomly getting hog tide.

Yeah, RDR had Fast Travel, so I can't see them going for switching characters as a way to traverse the map.

I'd have no objection to character switching, gameplay-wise I thought it worked well in GTAV (though it became somewhat of a cheat to switch to another character when you're low on health). But I'd rather RDR2 be more about one person's story than GTAV was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Not really.

The original only launched on 360 and PS3 which are totally different architectures than PCs.

PS4 and XB1 are x86 and essentially PC lite. Porting games over and back is much more simplified. That's why GTAV for PC was so much better than GTAIV.

That's because the code base was a total mess. The project very nearly got canned save for the fact that Leslie Benzies stepped in and saved it.

They did the same with GTA V. No mention of a PC version until the next gen consoles come out. This is on purpose and clever marketing really. They want people to do double dip. They know people who own console and PC will likely buy it twice. Like I have friends who bought it 3 times on 360, PS4 and PC.
    It actually hurts them financially to announce PC version now because people might hold out on buying the console version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Considering the prices of consoles now I'd happily buy one second hand to play this and sell it on again it wouldn't be a big deal. Then when it does come on pc I'd play it again.

Great news and a full year to build up hope and expectation wooop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Looks like John Marston to me.

The hats and the guns are a dead give away no? Would suggest Western. :eek::D

the old west had different eras...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_frontier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Actually no RAGE-powered game, developed by the San Diego studio, has come to PC. That includes Table Tennis, Midnight Club: Los Angeles and Red Dead Redemption.

As for RDR2, given the improvements made to the PC side of the engine since Max Payne 3 and GTA V, I'd be quite surprised if this didn't eventually make it to the PC even if it comes via one of the other studios. If you remember, development on the original game was also an absolute ****show with, as Lukker- mentioned above, a code base that was said to be held together with stickytape and dreams so it was never really a surprise it didn't get the port treatment back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Rockstar are famous for double dipping, releasing games first on consoles and then getting people to buy them.

Guess I'll wait for the PC version, if it comes. Not buying a console just for this.

Saipanne wrote: »
    the old west had different eras...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_frontier

Its hardly going to be historically accurate the west is the west as far as rdr fans are concerned. I wasn't been serious there btw thought the :eek::D would have given that away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

No confirmed PC release is disappointing but at least I've an excuse to keep my PS4 a while longer.

Seems pretty likely this will be a prequel to RDR covering Dutch's gang's exploits.

No confirmed PC release is disappointing but at least I've an excuse to keep my PS4 a while longer.

Seems pretty likely this will be a prequel to RDR covering Dutch's gang's exploits.

Yeah a sequel wouldn't really make sense since the RDR was set in 1911, the Wild West didn't really exist much after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well being on console first doesn't bother me as I have a Xbox One but I would have preferred a PC version as it has better graphics. I guess if they release it on PC later on I will probably buy it a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Nobody saw the fine print? In true R* fashion, there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the announcement that says 'Coming to PC, Holiday Season 2018'. Its very hard to spot and only with experience can you actually see the message. R* love to play games with PC players! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yeah a sequel wouldn't really make sense since the RDR was set in 1911, the Wild West didn't really exist much after that.

Plus Marstin died as well so it has to be set before Redemption if he is in it.

Agree with the assumption it will be set before RDR but they have called it RDR2 which I find strange, could be just until the reveal on thursday I guess.

• Advertisement

Agree with the assumption it will be set before RDR but they have called it RDR2 which I find strange.

Prequels are often called '2'. It's also to show it's part of the same storyline as RDR1 and not a separate story like Red Dead Revolver.

Agree with the assumption it will be set before RDR but they have called it RDR2 which I find strange, could be just until the reveal on thursday I guess.

If it is a sequel that'll kind of bug me too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I guess they want too make sure they do a proper job on the PC port and not repeat the mistake they made with the pc version of GTA 4, then again The first red dead didn't come too PC either :/.

I guess they want too make sure they do a proper job on the PC port and not repeat the mistake they made with the pc version of GTA 4, then again The first red dead didn't come too PC either :/.

It's standard unfortunately, they have never launched a game on PC and probably won't announce anything for 6 months. They will probably even deny that they will ever even make one. But I'm confident they will. Red Dead Online will likely feature loads of micro transactions. Losing 5-10m potential market for that is just bad business.

They want that double dip money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Rockstar are famous for double dipping, releasing games first on consoles and then getting people to buy them.

No one is better at parting people from their money than Rockstar are.

I've bought GTA San Andreas five times :o

Beefy78 wrote: »
    No one is better at parting people from their money than Rockstar are.

I've bought GTA San Andreas five times :o

I bought RDR three times because I didn't like it the first two times. Only got about an hour or two in on previous tries, gave up, traded it in. Finally persevered on the third try and it was so so worth it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penn wrote: »
    Prequels are often called '2'. It's also to show it's part of the same storyline as RDR1 and not a separate story like Red Dead Revolver.

Can you name one? Not being a smart ass but I can't think of any. I'm wondering is the title temporary until they release more details.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

the west is the west as far as rdr fans are concerned.

Different eras of 'the west' could have quite significant impacts on the way the game is designed - everything from the technology to the politics would have to be considered depending on when exactly the game was set.

Most significantly though IMO is that Redemption's themes and atmosphere were heavily influenced by it being set in the dying days of the Wild West, which lent a sort of persistent melancholy and transience to proceedings. Indeed, that factors heavily into the narrative from the off. If we presume this is set somewhat earlier, it would follow that a different sort of tone and approach would be on the cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can you name one? Not being a smart ass but I can't think of any. I'm wondering is the title temporary until they release more details.

MGS3/5 and DMC3 are prequels, not quite '2' but '3' is one higher innit :pac:

In film, Infernal Affairs 2 is a prequel, and a really underwhelming one at that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm hoping for some Blood Meridian style nastyness.

Advertisement