Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can you name one? Not being a smart ass but I can't think of any. I'm wondering is the title temporary until they release more details.

I suppose in hindsight saying prequels are often called '2' is probably wrong, but more so numbered games aren't always chronological

Tenchu 2
    Devil May Cry 3
    Metal Gear Solid 3 (and 5)
    Dead to Rights 2
    Fear Effect 2

Admittedly, I had to google for some of those answers, so fair enough, I retract my comment. Prequels do tend to do without a number and go for a sub-title instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Penn wrote: »
    I suppose in hindsight saying prequels are often called '2' is probably wrong, but more so numbered games aren't always chronological

Tenchu 2
    Devil May Cry 3
    Metal Gear Solid 3 (and 5)
    Dead to Rights 2
    Fear Effect 2

Admittedly, I had to google for some of those answers, so fair enough, I retract my comment.

Back to the future 3, shur they even went back to the wild west....... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm hoping for some Blood Meridian style nastyness.

If only. Even the most radical cinematic post-westerns haven't reached that level of horrifying misery, so would be truly unprecedented for a mainstream video game to capture anything near the level of unrelenting joylessness.

Even if - feasibly - the game is more critical of the treatment of Native Americans or attempts to deconstruct the cowboy myth, I can really not imagine it being anywhere on the level of Blood Meridian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Don't be silly lads, if it was a prequel, it'd be called Red Dead Predemption :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I hope it has nothing to do with John Marston. His story has been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cormac... wrote: »

I'd agree but I think the fact that it is called Red Dead Redemption 2 and not Red Dead Retribution or something is indicitating that it is the same story ark.

Rockstar generally like to create new story lines rather than go back over the same one so my guess is it'll have different characters altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd say it's to do with what a previous poster put spoiler tags on, I doubt it's a prequel but you never know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't think it will be Marston. That isn't Rockstar's thing at all. That said they left so much open in terms of his backstory that they definitely have the opportunity to explore his history with Dutch, Bill and the gang.

EDIT - the other thing making me wonder if they will pick up Marston's story again though is that he is, IMO, by far their best protagonist. They struck gold with the character and the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If only. Even the most radical cinematic post-westerns haven't reached that level of horrifying misery, so would be truly unprecedented for a mainstream video game to capture anything near the level of unrelenting joylessness.

Even if - feasibly - the game is more critical of the treatment of Native Americans or attempts to deconstruct the cowboy myth, I can really not imagine it being anywhere on the level of Blood Meridian.

You said it better than I ever could. Excellent post.

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'd say it's to do with what a previous poster put spoiler tags on, I doubt it's a prequel but you never know....

I don't think so, he wasn't exactly a popular character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't think it will be Marston. That isn't Rockstar's thing at all. That said they left so much open in terms of his backstory that they definitely have the opportunity to explore his history with Dutch, Bill and the gang.

EDIT - the other thing making me wonder if they will pick up Marston's story again though is that he is, IMO, by far their best protagonist. They struck gold with the character and the performance.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/6/19/4406600/small-town-man-John-Marston

The voice actor got pissed off with the whole industry and retired to do a "normal job"

Interesting read that, and the accompanying video - the guy seems to be like John in real life, going back home to provide for the family etc...

As an aside... how much would I need to pony up for a pc that would make gaming with games like this and gta5 a better experience than playing on a ps4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

As an aside... how much would I need to pony up for a pc that would make gaming with games like this and gta5 a better experience than playing on a ps4

€700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Would love for the game to be set during the american civil war. Could bring about some interesting scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Depends, if you're comfortable building your own then you can probably get one for €500 or so. If you want to buy a pre-built one then probably around €700 yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Its hardly going to be historically accurate the west is the west as far as rdr fans are concerned. I wasn't been serious there btw thought the :eek::D would have given that away.

Well, no. Revolver and Redemption were at clearly different time periods. Half the genius of Redemption was that it was say at a time when new technology was changing the Old West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

€700
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Depends, if you're comfortable building your own then you can probably get one for €500 or so. If you want to buy a pre-built one then probably around €700 yeah.

Personally I'm too OCD to ever build my own PC for gaming. I know for a fact that I'd be upgrading parts left right and centre and it would just end up costing me an absolute fortune. I'll happily play this on the PS4

L'prof wrote: »
    Personally I'm too OCD to ever build my own PC for gaming. I know for a fact that I'd be upgrading parts left right and centre and it would just end up costing me an absolute fortune. I'll happily play this on the PS4

You get good at resisting the urge! Beats buying a PS4.5 or Xbox Scorpio every 2 years!

If you start with a good base, it'd only really be the GPU you'd be updating every 2 years(I paid €250 for my R9 290 3 years ago and it still runs all brand new games at over 60FPS on Ultra settings at 1080p).

CPU, motherboards and RAM tend to iterate slower and have almost been stagnant now for a while. An i5 2500k CPU still can play most games at 60 FPS and it came out 5 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ricero wrote: »
    Would love for the game to be set during the american civil war. Could bring about some interesting scenarios

Couldn't agree more. I watched the Free State of Jones at the weekend as was left thinking that there should be more games set in that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lukker- wrote: »
    You get good at resisting the urge! Beats buying a PS4.5 or Xbox Scorpio every 2 years!

If you start with a good base, it'd only really be the GPU you'd be updating every 2 years(I paid €250 for my R9 290 3 years ago and it still runs all brand new games at over 60FPS on Ultra settings at 1080p).

CPU, motherboards and RAM tend to iterate slower and have almost been stagnant now for a while. An i5 2500k CPU still can play most games at 60 FPS and it came out 5 years ago!

I'm gaming at above 60Hz @1080P on a 7 year old processor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm guessing you'll play as his son from where the last game left off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

ShaneU wrote: »

That would be disappointing, plus it's at least 1914 at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ShaneU wrote: »

I doubt it tbh. I'd say it is based on John Marstons life before redemption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Lukker- wrote: »

I went from PS3 to PS4, doubt I'll bother with this 4.5 moneyspinner. Even though I have a 4K tv, I'm happy with the performance I'm currently getting. I'll have the PS4 for much longer than 2 years. I just know I'd end up burning through money if I was a PC gamer

On topic, really looking forward to RDR2. I didn't finish the last one but definitely will this time round

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

I never really played this game, bought it got a few hours into it. Then had to go somewhere came back and my brother was finishing the main story line :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

At least the release isn't 3 years away anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

At least the release isn't 3 years away anyway :pac:

PC version is 3 years away :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cu-STn7WIAAdz9j.jpg

This from SuperDataResearch.com's twitter account might give an insight as to why PC isn't important for Rockstar. GTA Online has taken on a life of it's own on console and they'll be looking for more of the same with RDR2.

Online is definitely the way Rockstar is going. GTA Online is a technological wonder and Rockstar are pouring so much into it in terms of updates. They make a fortune from those who want to pay and yet I'm sure that most of us have never paid a penny since the purchase of the game.

It was the natural evolution of the online versions they brought in in GTA IV and then almost perfected in RDR. RDR's online was fantastic and the Wild West setting fitted the open lobby in a way that GTA doesn't.

That said they know that single player is their bread and butter. I trust Rockstar not to turn their games into Call of Duty or the like. There's a huge market still for the single player games and if any developer can keep both sides happy I trust Rockstar to do it.

• Advertisement

Online is definitely the way Rockstar is going. GTA Online is a technological wonder and Rockstar are pouring so much into it in terms of updates. They make a fortune from those who want to pay and yet I'm sure that most of us have never paid a penny since the purchase of the game.

It was the natural evolution of the online versions they brought in in GTA IV and then almost perfected in RDR. RDR's online was fantastic and the Wild West setting fitted the open lobby in a way that GTA doesn't.

That said they know that single player is their bread and butter. I trust Rockstar not to turn their games into Call of Duty or the like. There's a huge market still for the single player games and if any developer can keep both sides happy I trust Rockstar to do it.

Advertisement