Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibiscus not flowering - Advice needed.

Options
  • 10-04-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I bought a few hardy hibiscus plants from aldi and planted them in the garden two years ago. The plants are probably 3-4 years old now. They are only about 2 foot tall at the moment. No leaves yet - just some small buds starting to show.

My problem is that they have never flowered and I'm concerned they may not flower again this year. Is this normal - do they take a few years to mature before they will flower? I've never pruned these shrubs although they never seemed to need it as they're quite small plants at the moment. They have been taken care of since being planted.

I'm wondering I should prune them? Could this be why they have never flowered? I've heard they need pruning but I thought it was mostly to reduce the size of the plant when it gets a bit unruly.

Any advice most welcome - Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

TheApophis wrote: »
    I bought a few hardy hibiscus plants from aldi and planted them in the garden two years ago. The plants are probably 3-4 years old now. They are only about 2 foot tall at the moment. No leaves yet - just some small buds starting to show.

My problem is that they have never flowered and I'm concerned they may not flower again this year. Is this normal - do they take a few years to mature before they will flower? I've never pruned these shrubs although they never seemed to need it as they're quite small plants at the moment. They have been taken care of since being planted.

I'm wondering I should prune them? Could this be why they have never flowered? I've heard they need pruning but I thought it was mostly to reduce the size of the plant when it gets a bit unruly.

Any advice most welcome - Thanks in advance!

They shouldn't need pruning.

If they were in Aldi they would have been small and young as you say so I would not have expected them to flower until this year at the earliest.

They need somewhere sunny, warm and a little sheltered and are one of the last plants in the garden to come in to leaf.

I'd just wait it out if I were you but a high potash feed might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheApophis

I wasn't sure how long they take to mature and was quite close to getting the secateurs out so thank you for your advice. I'll wait it out this year, get some potash and hope for the best.

Advertisement