Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sizing question - Rose Bikes

• 10-04-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to pull the trigger on this bike shortly:

http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-cdx-3100-di2/aid:756153

I plan to swap the wheels for Mavic Krysium disc, but other than that I won't be making any changes. In another thread it has been pointed out that they will increase their prices by 8% at the end of the month due to Euro weakness versus dollar.

I have never spent anything approaching this amount on a bike before, so I am anxious to get the sizing right. Unfortunately since I am buying online
    I will not be able to test ride it.

I am 5'8" (173cm). My current road bike is a 54cm frame. I need to choose between 53cm and 55cm for the bike.

I imagine 53cm is the safer bet? Mainly I want a size that will maximise comfort, i intend to go on 100km or so spins on it, but at a reasonably relaxed pace, which is basically what I do at the moment. I am always solo, I can't really commit to a fixed time for group spins so I just head off when i have a window between kids matches etc. at the weekends.

So 53 or 55 cm would you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

If you're happy with the fit on your current bike and would like to replicate, it might be a good idea to look up the stack and reach numbers for your current frame then compare to those on the Rose website, see which between the 53 and 55 is closest.

An alternative would be to go for something like the Retul bike fit, there's a place in Ballyboughal, Dublin that do it. They can replicate the geometry of the bike you're considering to make sure you get the right frame size, stem length and spacers you need. You'll also have the correct saddle height and setback that are easy to then apply when you get the bike, every measurement is relative to the BB. When you're spending that kind of money on a bike, especially online, I think a fit is a good investment for the peace of mind. There was a voucher for €50 off when you signed up with Cycling Ireland at the start of the year, not sure if that's still running.

Nice bike by the way, best of luck with whatever size you go for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi. I'm 6ft and got a 57 inch frame last year.

If you email them your measurements I imagine they will give you some advice. Do you have an existing bike that you find comfortable? It might be worth sending them the measurements for this too, top tube length, stem etc. I am new to this so maybe others can suggest the relevant measurements so you can customise for these things and get the best fit possible.

Lovely looking bike by the way, good luck with it!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

same here, 6'1, 57 inch bike, all i had to do was email them and it was an option between the 57 and 59, talked it through with rose and we figured out the 57 was the one to go for, email them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have the same bike on order. According to the Rose website the frame size is dependent on your inseam length, not your height. I'm 5' 10" but based on my inseam the guide recommended a 53 cm frame. However, the 55 cm frame is more like my existing bike as regards top tube and reach. So I went for 55.

One thing to note. According to the Rose brochure they sent me when I registered, you go down a frame size for racing and up a frame size for comfort. I always thought it was the other way round.

So compare the frame size with your existing bike. And don'e be afraid to e-mail Rose for advice. This is what I did, and they were very helpful, and very quick to respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Thanks for responses.

I am really surprised to realise a bigger frame size is more comfortable and a smaller is more aero.

I imagined you would be a bit more stretched/elongated on a larger frame and so more aero. I guess it is just that your saddle will be higher relative to the frame on a smaller frame so that would make you more aero.

Anyway comfort is what i want so i may well go for 55cm over 53.

As regards my current bike I am fine with it, but he thing is i have no idea whether i would be more comfortable with a different size - it is the only road bike i have spent any time on.

And having said all of the above I am now thinking I may have to defer the upgrade for a few months anyway, even though prices will go up. ah well a few months won't kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭devonp

174cm here went for a 53 (S) in a canyon , although it has the split seat post thingy which means you need 150mm out of the tube
    have short legs long reach so i changed the stem FOC from 100 to 120mm its perfect now
    i would have thought 53 for you
    good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

My winter bike is 54 and I got rose 53, im 174cm. I'm based in Lucan if u like to seat on 53 rose frame u are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Fian wrote: »
    In another thread it has been pointed out that they will increase their prices by 8% at the end of the month due to Euro weakness versus dollar

I was thinking of getting a Rose CGF...where did you hear this? eek.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

kuro_man wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting a Rose CGF...where did you hear this? eek.png

Here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057411134&page=2

in case that link doesn't work it is page 2 & 3 of the "disc brakes on road bike for sportives" thread, which is currently on page 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

I think the feel you get from a bike is more important than your height. We are all different, longer arms, shorter legs and different size torsos as well. my advice is to sit on the bike and see what you think. I'm not an expert so you are better listening to the experts but I just wanted to let you know my opinion.
    Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement

byrybak wrote: »
    My winter bike is 54 and I got rose 53, im 174cm. I'm based in Lucan if u like to seat on 53 rose frame u are welcome.

Is your Rose a CGF or CDX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

kuro_man wrote: »
    Is your Rose a CGF or CDX?

Xeon CSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Fian wrote: »

So 53 or 55 cm would you think?

I was also thinking about a Rose, though they told me the delivery time would be 6-8 weeks, so I'm going to wait till the summer and see what new stuff comes out then, price increase be damned. For the sizing, I'd have a long at your current set up-length of top tube plus stem and see how Rose compares. Personally, I can handle a reasonable race-oriented set-up, so I would probably go for a size 55 with no spacers and 120mm stem-basically kind of a size or half size small. But if I was interested in a more relaxed fit, I'd go with 57. I'd say it probably would be the same choice for you, though I'd also suggest asking Rose-they seem quick to respond and quite helpful.

Great thread, OP - buying unseen feels risky.

I am ~ 5'9" with 31" inseam. I ride a Lapierre Audacio size M "52" (HTT = 547 plus 100mm stem) so I reckon the CGF size 55 would be closest (HTT 540).

But the Rose CGF/CDX seat tube 1 degree is steeper, making the saddle-to-stem reach even shorter, so maybe the 57 (HTT 555) would be better with a 90mm stem?

Advertisement