Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Bread

• 10-04-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Where in Limerick can I get good bread? I recently ate in a place off Denmark Street, called Papa'z, absolutely unreal. Doubt I can replicate the quality of the food, but the bread, surely there is decent bread elsewhere in Limerick. These guys bake on site.

Quigleys and O'Connors are absolutely sh!te, so please do not suggest.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Do you want it as a starter or main course recommendation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Both.

Principally looking for a bread to accompany soups, curries, queemas, pastas, and also some pita breads to make sandwiches.

I cannot eat bread off the shelves anywhere like Dunnes or Tesco, it is very bad.

You cannot expect quality bread from the likes of Tesco or Dunnes, you need to try bakery shops.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    You cannot expect quality bread from the likes of Tesco or Dunnes, you need to try bakery shops.

I think he's looking for tips on which bakery shops to go to...

An File wrote: »
    I think he's looking for tips on which bakery shops to go to...

I gather that, how are we to know what suits the ops pallet or not? Some would like Quigleys bread but its not to the ops taste so the op needs to visit bakeries and sample breads that the op likes.

• Advertisement

Of course.

I do try Superquinn, now Supervalu, in Castletroy. Middle of the road stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

We get our bread from SuperValu and Lidl, also in Dunnes in the Jetland they have a "bread counter" which has some nice breads.

If anyone has ate in Papa'z, that's my palate. They had a lovely garlic bread, and the pittas for the sandwich were top notch. Potentially they might do a job on the side if everyone else likes it, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

myshirt wrote: »
    If anyone has ate in Papa'z, that's my palate. They had a lovely garlic bread, and the pittas for the sandwich were top notch. Potentially they might do a job on the side if everyone else likes it, I don't know.

Is that you Papa?😉

Ask Papas where they get their bread from.

• Advertisement

Man, are you trying to help at all?
    They bake on site, small operation.

And no, it's not me Mr Papa. They just happen to serve brilliant food, I'm a happy customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The OP says they bake on site.

I agree their food is really good in their though. In saying that I have only had the amazing chicken.

Can't think of many places in Limerick that Bake bread. Maybe Ivans might be worth a try when it re-opens.

They bake on site, small operation.
    Jofspring wrote: »
    The OP says they bake on site.

I missed that, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Have you tried making your own OP ?
    That way you can be sure of what you are eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

In my experience (which is quite considerable in this field) there is nowhere in Limerick that sells very good bread, my favourite would be from the Saturday milk market from the Scottish woman close to the coffee shop that used to be ponaire, I like the corn bread from the wild onion also but it's more like a cake.

I would suggest that you make bread from time to time, it can be quite time consuming but can also get very addictive trying to improve on your previous efforts, if you have some time to spare it's well worth it. Added bonus of having access to the bread while it's still warm.

Have you tried making your own OP ?
    That way you can be sure of what you are eating.

I have in the past and I'll get back into it, but it would be great to see a quality bakery in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Wild onion on the Ennis road do quality great. Love their light rye personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The Polish Shops have a great variety of breads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I know you said you don't like O'Connors, but I'm a big fan of their breads, especially their Spelt breads, some of the best around imo

Well, look, they are miles better than your cheap loaf available everywhere, but there's just something missing. Unfair to say they are sh!te I suppose, but it's just frustrating, they are not hitting the spot for me. I am going to go into the Market tomorrow and hopefully I'll be eating a tasty meatball sandwich circa 1 o Clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Well, look, they are miles better than your cheap loaf available everywhere, but there's just something missing. Unfair to say they are sh!te I suppose, but it's just frustrating, they are not hitting the spot for me. I am going to go into the Market tomorrow and hopefully I'll be eating a tasty meatball sandwich circa 1 o Clock.

Have you tried wild onion at all?
    Your missing a trick if you haven't, far better than anything in the market.
    They have different breads on different days so look at their schedule...they are open Wednesday to Sunday...till lunchtime only at the weekends(i think)
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

This crowd aint bad http://www.twomeysbakery.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Any update on this from myshirt? Where did you get your bread and how was the meatball sandwich (bought or made meatballs?)

Advertisement