Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Untaxed, expired NCT, uninsured vehicles

• 10-04-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    several vehicles driven daily and parked in my neighborhood falls in one or more of the following categories:
    - tax expired
    - NCT expired
    - insurance expired

Obviously the most common is the first case, nonetheless some vehicles are being driven despite an NCT or even an insurance sticker that are expired. No, they didn't forget to replace them with the new sticker, because after months, or years, you would remember...

A similar situation can be observed on the premises of my kids' school. Too many parents are disrespectful of the law and the traffic regulations.
    Furthermore, it's is shameful for tax-paying citizens, to experience such abuse. The taxes are already paying the child benefits and perhaps the welfare of this outlaws. If they can't pay for a car, there're other options like bicycles, etc..

I'm wondering which is the best authority to report the situation and in case the specific vehicles.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

You could always, ya know, mind your own business?

Edit, clearly a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

JC01 wrote: »

Yes, of course he should mind his own business, not like it affects anyone else when people don't tax or insure their cars.....

Oh wait......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

I'm wondering which is the best authority to report the situation and in case the specific vehicles.

Thanks

The local parish priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Edit, clearly a troll

Seems a stupid comment - but yeah as they have no insurance etc if they scrape your car going past etc they are hardly going to be the sort to own up to it and leave a card.

Try the Garda Confidential Line - 1800 666111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭cletus

Jaysus Joe it's terrible so it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 joe.soap2015

Edit, clearly a troll

Well, it is my own business. Unless you live in another country, it is your own business too.
    Tax dodging affects the whole community, ask yourself what if everybody would not pay?
    It is a less obvious crime, but the victim is you, me, everyone.
    Being passive thinking "it's not my business" won't make the society any better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Tax dodging affects the whole community, ask yourself what if everybody would not pay?

If everybody not paid motortax, it would have to be abandoned, and we all would be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

D'ya not have anything better to do than to be reporting people for having no tax?

Does it really affect you that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I always paid my road tax, always. During the same period I have known so many that got away with it for so, so long, even one girl who had a great scheme going where she would visit 3 different stations on a rolling basis to declare her car off the road as part of being a good citizen. Apparently free tax for 3 years, 3L Range Rover. Certainly free tax for the time I knew her.

Am I an idiot? Should I have tried to get some free tax too? I actually feel like a pleb for always paying my tax.

D'ya not have anything better to do than to be reporting people for having no tax?

Does it really affect you that much?

It is not just about the tax, it's also about expired NCT, which btw could put your insurance coverage in question, and expired insurance.
    Yes, it does affect me to see parents driving their kids to school in such fashion. It is a matter of building a decent community.

Taxes are financing the school system. I do pay taxes. Why others that benefit from taxes should be allowed to save money by not paying? They're enjoying the public services to the same extent as myself, so they should pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Well, it is my own business. Unless you live in another country, it is your own business too.
    It is a less obvious crime, but the victim is you, me, everyone.
    Being passive thinking "it's not my business" won't make the society any better..

No it's none of my business. I pay my tax my insurance and my nct. I sail through checkpoints no problem, it's none of my business what other people do with there cars same as its none of my business when the gards seize said cars. Trust me motor tax isnt the last hiccup on the road to an Irish eutopian society

Oh and one of my cars rarely has a disc in the window. Doesn't mean the cars not insured.

No it's none of my business. I pay my tax my insurance and my nct. I sail through checkpoints no problem, it's none of my business what other people do with there cars same as its none of my business when the gards seize said cars. Trust me motor tax isnt the last hiccup on the road to an Irish eutopian society

Oh and one of my cars rarely has a disc in the window. Doesn't mean the cars not insured.

All right, my aim was not to change your point of view or anything like that.
    I just asked some information, which I didn't get so far, without any intention to start a debate about society.

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well Joe , there are rules and regulations , and they weren't made to be broken ,but some obviously are .

There are authorities in Ireland to ensure compliance , let them do their job .

There are authorities in Ireland to ensure compliance , let them do their job .

But they are not doing it - at least not in some regions.
    In place where I live and in the radius of 20km it's impossible to see a road check. People who drive only locally would never bother with tax or nct or sometimes even insurance.
    If there is no consequences - why bother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CiniO wrote: »
    If everybody not paid motortax, it would have to be abandoned, and we all would be happy.
    But the potholes would go unfixed, the street lights littered and unlit, sewage would run freely, buildings would burn down killing thier occupants ...

You get what you pay for.

And just while we on the subject , I see this message pop up on Facebook / Twitter right now on Leinster Checkpoints page :
    Kildare
    Garda checkpoint at the traffic lights just before lidl entering athy town. Looking at tax, ins, nct and checking drivers licence.

Victor wrote: »
    But the potholes would go unfixed, the street lights littered and unlit, sewage would run freely, buildings would burn down killing thier occupants ...

You get what you pay for.

No it wouldn't.
    If income from motor tax disappeared, they would have to come up with other source for that money, introducing new or rising other taxes.
    Whichever way it would be done, I'd be happy.

And Victor forgot to mention that Irish Water would go bust if no- one paid motor tax ( €439m given to them last year from motor tax )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just jot the numbers and addresses (if you know them) down and give Garda confidential a shout, they will do whatever's appropriate, speaking more from the insurance POV, your call.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

i think they should put a rake of ANPR cameras on the M50, it would either raise a load of revenue from scofflaws or would reduce traffic, if they went elsewhere. Win Win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement