Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

motorbike isurance first time driver

• 10-04-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Just wondering on average what i would pay on a 250 starting off?
    I know i'd pay about 2k for the bike and a few hundred for helmet gloves etc.
    Just really looking to see how much it costs to start off.
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Got insured for €470 with mce at 22 tpf&t like 650 excess though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

It depends on the insurance grouping of the 250.
    Is it a high risk or not ?
    Sometimes its cheaper to insure an sv 650.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Mine was a hornet 250 btw so cheaper than the likes of the cbr250rr but it has the same detuned engine so is still has a bit of poke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

i was thinking of a Kawasaki Ninja 300 or honda cbr 250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

My first time getting insured was on a Ninja 250 with a provisional licence. For third party it was about €500 and got quotes for 600/650s such as a Bandit, XJ6 and ER6 with restrictions and they were the exact same amount.

You can get a few online quotes with Liberty and compare different bikes with your own details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

How did you find the nija as a first bike? SO going by all the replies here im looking at around 500 quid for insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

moneymad wrote: »
    How did you find the nija as a first bike? SO going by all the replies here im looking at around 500 quid for insurance.

Loved it. So easy to use and learn on. Perfect for getting around Dublin. Economical and a fair bit of power even for experienced riders but it needs to be revved high to get that power, whereas a 600 will have it more readily available. This is actually a good thing for a beginner though.

Bit of a head turner too. People are always admiring it, even experienced bikers who are sometimes surprised when they hear it's a 250.

I had great fun on it on the winding roads around the Wicklow Mountains and while it's not ideal for long journeys, it can hold it's own comfortably on motorways with my longest journey being Galway to Dublin. The bike handled it fine but I was a bit worse for wear due to the cold.

I got rid of it after a year and a half because I knew I wouldn't be able to use it for about a year and didn't want it just sitting there but when the time came to get a bike again, I went for a Ninja 250 again. I probably would have gotten an XJ6n if there was one available for the right price but there were hardly any of them around and I knew I'd have no regrets with a Ninja and there's usually plenty of them so they're good value. Many people tire of the Ninja though due to it only being 250 and want something bigger after a year or two. Not me though. I spent a while using a friends Bandit 650 and based on that experience I didn't feel like I had to have something bigger, I'd be happy either way. I'd probably feel different if I was regularly doing long journeys though.

Advertisement