Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step Down Transformer, trips power, help needed.

Options
  • 10-04-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭

Hello I bought the following :

Goldsource ST-1500 1500 Watt Step Down/Up Voltage Converter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ADQIAF8/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

To power a 900watt Nutri Bullet which was purchased in America. From researching online it seemed that a step down transformer was the only hope I had to get the Nutri Bullet working.

So it arrived today and when I turned on the power on the transformer, the power in the house tripped, and the switch instantly tripped. Image attached of the switch in question that keeps tripping. I tried the 2 settings on the back of the transformer, 220v and 240v and same thing each time.

29e8e11678034b1f342d769024eb33e5.png

The Nutri Bullet is not even plugged into the transformer even at this stage.

Anyone any ideas or help? Or am i looking at an expensive black box and Nutri Bullet sitting there otherwise.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭shmeee

gctest50 wrote: »

The transformer I have plugs into the above, or the Nurti Bullet itself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Did you try resetting the rcd while it was plugged in and switched on op?

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Did you try resetting the rcd while it was plugged in and switched on op?

Resetting the trip switch you mean?

Yes, won't go back up while transformer is plugged into wall socket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

shmeee wrote: »
    Resetting the trip switch you mean?

Yes, won't go back up while transformer is plugged into wall socket.

You have understood me, try it in another house to see if its a faulty unit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A couple of things:

1) This is a transformer that can be used to step the source voltage up or to step the source down. The "jumper switch" has to be int he correct position to step your 230V supply down to the required 110V supply for your "Nutri Bullet". Check this.

2) The unit that has tripped is an RCD. This unit is designed to trip when it detects a leakage of a small current to earth. Transformers by their nature have a certain amount of current flowing to earth even when operating properly. This small (and most likely safe) amount of current is probably the culprit.

3) I can not find a proper data sheet for this device and seeing as though it was bought on eBay it may not be of great quality.

2011 wrote: »
    A couple of things:

1) This is a transformer that can be used to step the source voltage up or to step the source down. The "jumper switch" has to be int he correct position to step your 230V supply down to the required 110V supply for your "Nutri Bullet". Check this.

2) The unit that has tripped is an RCD. This unit is designed to trip when it detects a leakage of a small current to earth. Transformers by their nature have a certain amount of current flowing to earth even when operating properly. This small (and most likely safe) amount of current is probably the culprit.

3) I can not find a proper data sheet for this device and seeing as though it was bought on eBay it may not be of great quality.

The switch at the bag "jumper switch" is what I presume is where there is a pin and you insert it into the correct input voltage. Again there is no 230v option, only 240v, 220v, 200v and 110v.

Ireland runs off 230v isn't it and can vary, but I knew that and because people in Ireland reviewed the product and said it worked here I said I'd go with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I see that it is CE marked, which is a good sign.

You could try it in someone else's house. If it works it may be a case that your RCD is over sensitive. An RCD can be swapped out easily however this work should only be carried out by a qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

If the nutri bullet is designed for 110v is it also designed for 60hz? Would this have a bearing on the device as it contains a motor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Only if it has an induction motor. A universal motor wont be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

What would be the general opinion to disconnect the earth in order to disable this' seemingly, spurious tripping?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Would it be an option to disconnect the earth (ground)?

adrian92 wrote: »
    Would it be an option to disconnect the earth (ground)?

In short no.
    The earth is there for safety reasons.

If the metal enclosure were to become live there would be a risk of electrocution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Same issues faced in industry with machines, psu' etc, so hence 60mA RCD used.
    bottom line is your unit most likely has an earth leak above 30mA.

What result when plugged in with switch on front of transformer off and no load? I will safely assume switch is on primary, so if tripping at this point should be something someone handy could investigate further.

2011 wrote: »
    I see that it is CE marked, which is a good sign.

You could try it in someone else's house. If it works it may be a case that your RCD is over sensitive. An RCD can be swapped out easily however this work should only be carried out by a qualified electrician.

Tried it in a different house, plugged transformer into socket on it's own and boom, main RCD trips. Same specifications on RCD also.

Looks like I've to try return the transformer and have a Nutri Bullet that won't work not either.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Sorry to dig up old thread but I'm curious as to what you did in the end.

I'm in a similar predicament myself, got the Nutribullet Rx for Christmas from America (costing €180). It has a 1700 watt motor and after searching online I see I need transformer that could cost me around €120.
    Is it worth my time getting the transformer when it may not work like your one?

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I need transformer that could cost me around €120.

PC World was selling Nutribullets for around €85 recently, so do the maths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

But then what do I do with the nutribullet rx that's worth €180? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

But then what do I do with the nutribullet rx that's worth €180? :(

give it someone going to Canada, America, etc be a really useful gift :)

Sorry to dig up old thread but I'm curious as to what you did in the end.

I'm in a similar predicament myself, got the Nutribullet Rx for Christmas from America (costing €180). It has a 1700 watt motor and after searching online I see I need transformer that could cost me around €120.
    Is it worth my time getting the transformer when it may not work like your one?

The transformer didn't work anyway, returned it.

And sold the Nutri Bullet on done deal for 70e to someone who said they could get it working, well best of luck if they did as I tried everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement