Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straboe School Reunion - Looking for past students

• 10-04-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone,

My father has been talking for years that he would love to have a school reunion for the people who attended Straboe national school. He hasn't seen some of his classmates in over 50 years.

So I'm just taking a chance asking on here if anyone knows of anyone that may have attended the school and if any of them would be interested in having a school reunion.

Feel free to PM me if you have information or want to know more.

Some information about the school:

It was a small country school consisting of only one classroom and the teacher would teach all the different levels (first class, second class etc) in that one classroom.
    The school ran from 1886 to the mid 1960s. My dad attended in the 40s & 50s.
    The school is about three/four miles outside Portlaoise and it is still standing there today.
    I have some pictures if you'd like me to email them to you.

The google maps coordinates of the school is 53°04'25.8"N 7°16'27.3"W.

The main catchment area of the school would have been Shaen, Rathnamanagh, Kyletelisha, Killeen, Eyne and Straboe itself.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Where exactly is the old school located ?. That doesn't seem to be the correct gps code

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluerigel

I copied and pasted it into google maps and it worked fine. Don't copy the full stop I put at the end of the code in the previous post.

53°04'25.8"N 7°16'27.3"W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Yeah that location is spot on.

You can also see the school's location on the old OSI maps here;

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,648645,702817,7,9

Just click into historic 25" at the side.

Very Interesting! Thanks for that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

bluerigel wrote: »
    I copied and pasted it into google maps and it worked fine. Don't copy the full stop I put at the end of the code in the previous post.

53°04'25.8"N 7°16'27.3"W

Yes it worked fine without the full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 whymar

Hello !

Just saw your post on Boards.ie.

I attended Straboe NS ! I joined Boards.ie

there now so that I could send a reply to you.

I have a photo of some pupils which was taken in the 1930s

Hi Whymar,

Pleased to hear from you.

I also have some photos from the 1950s which was the decade I attended.

There is a short film of the school on youtube that we created.

Just search for "straboe" on youtube and it's the video with the photograph on it.

Since I'm a new user here on boards It seems I can't place links here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Macnessa

Hello Bluerigal, I am a past pupil of Straboe school and have heard on the grapevine about the proposed re-union. Has there been any progress on this recently? I would be interested in attending but as I live overseas need time to make arrangements. look forward to update. My attendance goes back to my first day in 1939 and left in 1947, so probably one of the oldest around. Come to think of it ,I know of one person who is about 6 years older than me and is still hale and hearty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whymar

Macnessa wrote: »
    Hello Bluerigal, I am a past pupil of Straboe school and have heard on the grapevine about the proposed re-union. Has there been any progress on this recently? I would be interested in attending but as I live overseas need time to make arrangements. look forward to update. My attendance goes back to my first day in 1939 and left in 1947, so probably one of the oldest around. Come to think of it ,I know of one person who is about 6 years older than me and is still hale and hearty.
    Hi ,The Rock Inn is booked for Sat Feb 6th for the reunion.If you wish to conntact me i can send you my email. Looking forward to meeting you. Marian

Hi macnessa,

Great to hear from you and as Marion said I hope you can make it for the 6th of February.

There is also a Facebook group. Just search for "straboe national school" on Facebook and join to keep up with details of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Macnessa

bluerigel wrote: »
    Hi macnessa,

Great to hear from you and as Marion said I hope you can make it for the 6th of February.

There is also a Facebook group. Just search for "straboe national school" on Facebook and join to keep up with details of the event.

Thank you very much. looking forward to attending

Advertisement