Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Flower bed

Options
  • 10-04-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

So I have itchy fingers at the moment and really want to make a little flower bed at the front of the house. We bought the house last year and its just grass at the moment so what's the best thing to do to plant flowers in it? I was thinking just dig it up, turn over the soil and break it up. Then maybe buy a bag of potting compost to pot the flowers in.

I also have no idea what flowers to buy so any advice would be welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I would get manure or top soil rather than compost as compost will dry out on the top of your soil.
    But yes just dig up the grass and turn the soil.

As regards what to plant you could put in
    Cosmos-dont need any tending and they grow tall and look great. Would only grow the one year though.They won't grow back next year.

Maybe also plant some ornamental grasses or something else that's evergreen. Always check the label to see how big the plant will get though as some get huge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Would i get the manure in a garden centre too??

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

muddle84 wrote: »
    Would i get the manure in a garden centre too??

Definitely. It'll just be in big bags in the section where the compost is.
    Have a read of the different bags because they'll say on them what theyre for

Advertisement