Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is that Saul Rodgers with the afro sitting/standing in the front row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    Is that Saul Rodgers with the afro sitting/standing in the front row?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Grrr missed most of that last round, tv just came back on about 5 seconds before the KO!

Great to have Cage Warriors back and I enjoyed the fights, but is that it?

Over in less than 2 hours and if they had more than a couple of hundred people in the arena I'd be surprised. I thought parts of the production left a lot to be desired too. For example, fighters in the cage within about 10 seconds of their entrance music starting to play which didn't allow much opportunity for the crowd to get pumped (BAMMA have this spot on with fighters stepping up on a podium before making the walk) and the venue felt like a community centre you'd watch the local school's annual nativity play in.

I know it's easy for me to say from my couch, but I was a bit underwhelmed overall. I'm sure it'll get much better as they go on again though, especially with Fight Pass on board. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I really enjoyed it, the fights were good and I even liked the town hall kind of feel to it. There were one or two fighters there that I'll definitely have to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Paully D wrote: »
    Great to have Cage Warriors back and I enjoyed the fights, but is that it?

Over in less than 2 hours and if they had more than a couple of hundred people in the arena I'd be surprised. I thought parts of the production left a lot to be desired too. For example, fighters in the cage within about 10 seconds of their entrance music starting to play which didn't allow much opportunity for the crowd to get pumped (BAMMA have this spot on with fighters stepping up on a podium before making the walk) and the venue felt like a community centre you'd watch the local school's annual nativity play in.

I know it's easy for me to say from my couch, but I was a bit underwhelmed overall. I'm sure it'll get much better as they go on again though, especially with Fight Pass on board. Onwards and upwards.

To be honest, my assessment of it is this: They now have a completely different structure to the promotion. They used to be owned by the Jordanian royal family who were willing to throw money at it and rent big arenas, without even a tv deal for most of the time. Plus they used to do two main cards with 12 fights or so. It was well documented that they were losing money.

Now they're owned by one businessman who knows the business very well but its working with a budget. So he had a short main card in a small arena with a couple of good quality fights and a few mismatches to get some highlight reels. And he has tv deals in place as well as fight pass. It seems like a more modest operation now but I think Boylan is a smart operator and he can build it up to be better than it was before the break but he's being sensible about it.

I thought it was a very good card all the same. Coming back to the Helix in Dublin with a high-profile Irish fighter would be massive.

Incase anyone is reading the threads today thinking "FFS who's this pimblett kid, wish I seen that fight" well don't be too disappointed ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I remember watching this fight and somehow managing to stay awake. It was a mixture of laughing(because I can't stand kos) and frowning at Daley for being so stupid.

Do I care about a rematch now about 5 years later? Nah

CgREYr2WsAIm0tu.jpg:large

Devastator wrote: »
    I remember watching this fight and somehow managing to stay awake. It was a mixture of laughing(because I can't stand kos) and frowning at Daley for being so stupid.

Do I care about a rematch now about 5 years later? Nah

CgREYr2WsAIm0tu.jpg:large

I met Daley at the siam warriors show in cork he's a really nice lad, quality to watch as well. I'll be heading over to bellator show so I hope this gets sorted along with WVP and a fight for McGeary. That fight was so frustrating but it was a scum thing to do by Daley but you could understand his frustration. Would love to see him fight Diaz again, amazing fight that I'll never forget.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    I met Daley at the siam warriors show in cork he's a really nice lad, quality to watch as well. I'll be heading over to bellator show so I hope this gets sorted along with WVP and a fight for McGeary. That fight was so frustrating but it was a scum thing to do by Daley but you could understand his frustration. Would love to see him fight Diaz again, amazing fight that I'll never forget.

Im disappointed he has never got another opportunity in the UFC. Obviously Dana made a big statement that he would never fight in UFC again but when you look back at some of the other antics(PED failures, recreational drug failures, crimes,etc) of fighters and they've been able to fight again or are coming back to fight again this weekend ;) In comparison what Daley done is no comparison really.

Im disappointed he has never got another opportunity in the UFC. Obviously Dana made a big statement that he would never fight in UFC again but when you look back at some of the other antics(PED failures, recreational drug failures, crimes,etc) of fighters and they've been able to fight again or are coming back to fight again this weekend ;) In comparison what Daley done is no comparison really.

He still one of the top WWs in the world and top 5 most exciting to watch, he will get back In when he wins the belt I'd imagine. But I'm not sure how much he'd want to now he'd make more money in bellator with mma and kickboxing for them, also the have looked after him very well.

Kos v Daley set for Bellator London, along with Kimbo v James Thompson when his suspension is up, the event will be in July. Will head over for it anyway hopefully McGeary & MVP get on the card.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/17/11448220/kimbo-slice-vs-james-thompson-2-in-the-works-for-london-event

Kimbo? WTF? 90 day ban for high t/e levels? I've had milk in the fridge longer than that ban!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kimbo? WTF? 90 day ban for high t/e levels? I've had milk in the fridge longer than that ban!

It wasn't just t/e, he also tested positive for nandrolone.
    90 days is bloody retarded, on what planet was he ever going to fight within 90 days.

Lol Texas, fck yeah

Mellor wrote: »
    It wasn't just t/e, he also tested positive for nandrolone.
    90 days is bloody retarded, on what planet was he ever going to fight within 90 days.

Lol Texas, fck yeah

really? missed that lol but again refer back to our discussion few days ago about switching off my attention to cheats when they're caught.

I wonder if UK customs,passport,visa could maybe stop him from entering England or fighting(making money) due to being caught.

really? missed that lol but again refer back to our discussion few days ago about switching off my attention to cheats when they're caught.
    Yeah popped for nandrolone, Shamrock popped for nandrolone and metadone, yup as in the stuff junkies are given to get off heroin.
    I wonder if UK customs,passport,visa could maybe stop him from entering England or fighting(making money) due to being caught.
    I don't think so as he hasn't broken the law, or to be technical was caught breaking it by the police etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Kos v Daley set for Bellator London, along with Kimbo v James Thompson when his suspension is up, the event will be in July. Will head over for it anyway hopefully McGeary & MVP get on the card.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/17/11448220/kimbo-slice-vs-james-thompson-2-in-the-works-for-london-event

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/722039103865430016

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/722038110289272832

Any full ticket price list for Bellator in London released yet please lads?

• Advertisement

Things didn't go smooth for Benson last night he got absolutely destroyed by Koreshkov, the size difference looked massive but it was even bigger when he rehydrated.

Bellator are having a laugh with those ticket prices for London. They'll be lucky to half fill the place at those prices. They're actually charging more for some seats than the UFC did a couple of months ago and the top level ticket prices are the same. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Things didn't go smooth for Benson last night he got absolutely destroyed by Koreshkov, the size difference looked massive but it was even bigger when he rehydrated.

Henderson took some nasty hits, I am amazed he survived that flying knee.

Good win for Cyborg Santos too, heel hook after 30 seconds

Henderson took some nasty hits, I am amazed he survived that flying knee.

Good win for Cyborg Santos too, heel hook after 30 seconds

The knee was sick, he's some man even if don't really like him I massivly respect him.

Great win for Santos, like ward so hopefully be comes back strong.MVPs toe hold was class wswell.

Polar opposite of the event with Kimbo etc I really enjoyed the card.

Its been a couple of weeks since a bellator comedy fight is put on, so......
    One time fighter and full time reality tv star Alex Reid is fighting on the bellator London card in July. Reid was probably most well known for being (one of many) married to the Jordan but did tryout on TUF(didnt get through elimination fight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Its been a couple of weeks since a bellator comedy fight is put on, so......
    One time fighter and full time reality tv star Alex Reid is fighting on the bellator London card in July. Reid was probably most well known for being (one of many) married to the Jordan but did tryout on TUF(didnt get through elimination fight).
    Who is he fighting?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who is he fighting?

Ya know what? I didn't even care enough earlier to check. I just seen thats what he's changed his info on his twitter account to. He's a bum. Was only ever good in his own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    Ever see his fight with Tom Watson? There was a very good fighter in there somewhere.

He was an ok kick boxer. Ground was brutal.
    Watson was a stand up fight as far as I can remember. He held his own but lost the decision. It was fully expected that Watson would steamroll him too but that didn't happen

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    He was an ok kick boxer. Ground was brutal.
    Watson was a stand up fight as far as I can remember. He held his own but lost the decision. It was fully expected that Watson would steamroll him too but that didn't happen

I think by the Watson fight any fighter in him was pushed aside by "celebrity". Watson completely controlled him and was able to take him down with ease to see out each round.

I fight some really easy money off that fight. I knew some foolish people who thought because they didn't follow MMA but had heard of Reid it should mean he's a good fighter, even after I pointed out to them the reason they had heard of him was because of who he was married to they still wanted to bet with me :eek::pac:

awful news :(

Bellator fighter Jordan Parsons' career is likely over after being hit by a motor vehicle in Delray Beach, Florida on Sunday morning.
    Parsons, a featherweight affiliated with the Blackzilians, had the bottom half of his right leg amputated after he was apparently the victim of an apparent hit-and-run incident.
    As of Sunday afternoon, he's listed in critical condition at Delray Medical Center.
    Parsons, a Michigan native who had an 11-2 record (2-1 Bellator), was scheduled to fight Adam Piccolotti at Bellator 154 in San Jose on May 14. It is expected the bout will be scrapped and Piccolotti will not have a replacement opponent.
    Bellator released a statement indicating Delray Beach police are seeking info from anyone who may have witnessed the accident.
    "Bellator has been informed of a terrible accident that occurred last night involving featherweight fighter Jordan Parsons, who was struck by a vehicle in a hit-and-run incident," the statement read. "We are still in the process of uncovering details and with his family’s consent, hope to have an update on his medical condition soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with Jordan and his family as he recovers. The hit-and-run occurred on Lindell Blvd. and South Federal Highway in Delray Beach, Florida. Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the Delray Beach Police Department at (561) 243-7800."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/1/11549944/bellators-jordan-parsons-has-part-of-leg-amputated-after-apparent-hit?_ga=1.99260510.1359424689.1422328970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

https://twitter.com/SBNLukeThomas/status/727929685536067584

“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of a dear member of the Bellator family, Jordan Parsons. Jordan was an exceptional athlete and a rising star in the sport. But more importantly, he was an exceptional young man. Jordan was hard-working, dedicated, intelligent, and a pleasure to be around. He represented all the reasons we love this sport. It is a terribly tragic loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and teammates.”- Scott Coker

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dowthebow

Anyone catch One FC over the weekend? That Lee family are a talented bunch!!
    The womens title fight must be a contender for fight of the year.

dowthebow wrote: »
    Anyone catch One FC over the weekend? That Lee family are a talented bunch!!
    The womens title fight must be a contender for fight of the year.

Mei Yamaguchi was paid her win bonus even though she lost.
    Angela Lee was given a $50k Warrior bonus.

Here's the full fight for anyone that missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Mellor wrote: »
    Mei Yamaguchi was paid her win bonus even though she lost.
    Angela Lee was given a $50k Warrior bonus.

Here's the full fight for anyone that missed it

That was fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads/Ladies/People who are only here because of the lucky charms.

Does nayone in the knowif cagewarriors will have an irish card this year?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads/Ladies/People who are only here because of the lucky charms.

Does nayone in the knowif cagewarriors will have an irish card this year?

Could have sworn I seen Grahame Boylan saying there would be on Facebook but this was a while ago, hopefully there is. Having it all on fight pass is great though.

Could be waiting until the regulation gets through...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Venator FC confirmed both Mayhem Miller and Palhares landed in Italy for their separate fights this Saturday. That should be interesting to say the least.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Venator FC confirmed both Mayhem Miller and Palhares landed in Italy for their separate fights this Saturday. That should be interesting to say the least.

Appearing in a brand new episode of "Locked up abroad" next week...... :pac:

For the talk of fighters being better of in Bellator I've just noticed it looks like Phil Davis is on the same contract(30&30) as he was in the UFC even though he didn't have the extra pressure of headlining cards in the UFC. Yeah he's most likely made more money off sponsors than he would with Reebok but I expected with all the talk the contracts would have had an increase aswell. I've not looked into any other fighters that have switched, just noticed when read an article about last weeks bellator, does anyone else know if this is same/similar for the other recent switcharoos?

• Advertisement

Appearing in a brand new episode of "Locked up abroad" next week...... :pac:

For the talk of fighters being better of in Bellator I've just noticed it looks like Phil Davis is on the same contract(30&30) as he was in the UFC even though he didn't have the extra pressure of headlining cards in the UFC. Yeah he's most likely made more money off sponsors than he would with Reebok but I expected with all the talk the contracts would have had an increase aswell. I've not looked into any other fighters that have switched, just noticed when read an article about last weeks bellator, does anyone else know if this is same/similar for the other recent switcharoos?

Seen that myself, I would imagine that will rise if he wins the belt (I doubt he will McGeary is a beast) but mainly the earning potential is massively higher with the sponsors that's what compensates the x/x money. Tried to find info from Bensons first fight but I can't find anything similar bit I'd imagine it would be fairly similar to Davis but possibly more as he was a bigger name.

So Mayhem Miller just weighed in for the venator event against Barnett and he is a measley*ahem* 24lbs overweight :eek::eek::eek:

Venator is sounding like a shady organisation from the tv show Kingdom where fella's come in weighing whatever they want.....and yes I will be doing my best to tune in to watch how it goes.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Venator is sounding like a shady organisation from the tv show Kingdom where fella's come in weighing whatever they want.....and yes I will be doing my best to tune in to watch how it goes.

Me too, its another couple of weeks before the circus comes to town so in the meantime venator :D

I assume BT sports or sky are showing this?

According to Ariel, Barnatt made weight at 185, Venator offered him 30% of Miller's purse and an extra 5k if he accepts the fight. Luke currently thinking it over. This is gas. Was supposed to be for the title an all. Mayhem is currently at heavyweight :pac:

I assume BT sports or sky are showing this?

I doubt it, although I haven't heard anything. I'd say if any channel were showing it, it might be premier sports or spike. Think best bet is online streams though.

Re:Mayhem, people are now excuseing him by saying things like"What did you expect?", "Sure you know what hes like"....thats like excusing Hitler for murdering millions of Jews then saying "Sure its Hitler, ya know what hes like"

(Yes I'm well aware I compared the holocaust to missing weight, its to highlight a ridiculous non excuse before anyone goes into fauxrage mode)

I doubt it, although I haven't heard anything. I'd say if any channel were showing it, it might be premier sports or spike. Think best bet is online streams though.

Re:Mayhem, people are now excuseing him by saying things like"What did you expect?", "Sure you know what hes like"....thats like excusing Hitler for murdering millions of Jews then saying "Sure its Hitler, ya know what hes like"

(Yes I'm well aware I compared the holocaust to missing weight, its to highlight a ridiculous non excuse before anyone goes into fauxrage mode)

In fairness to him he shouldn't be fighting, he has serious mental problems.
    Sad to see his fall, was prob a top 10 WW in the world at one stage, he must be badly stuck for money.

SWITCHAROO! Barnett is now fighting Stefan Croitoru, who is another MW that was supposed to be fighting somebody else on the same card. I think they wanted to keep the title fight on the card. Not sure if they've found a HW for Mayhem

Here's the vid of the weigh in, just bizarre, as if taking off the shorts would help :pac: That little guy with him is apparently his muay thai coach but you just don't know what to believe with Mayhem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement