Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought got carwin retired due to medical issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Yeah that would be insane. Imagine if he fought Aldo and then and fought Khabib afterwards. Would be legendary.

Just on another point, you'd wonder if Gatjhe and Branch fight in these wars to gain the exposure they need from not being in the UFC? Because if they do it's genius. I'm living in Toronto and seriously considering going to the WSOF NYE card to see Gatjhe and Branch live. Two lads that will always give value for money

It would be unreal; id say he would do it if they let him but it would take a tole on the body id say.

The two lads just love to put on a show; there both also getting over 100k a fight so would be taking a paycut to join the ufc, I think branch is on 65/65; Gaethje is on a bit lower i think but still if they were to come accross they would lose a tonne; especially in sponsorships. I cant wait to see what Moraes has managed to get; always liked watching him fight.

What i would give for an even with all the top fighters from each org going at it; itd be unreal. Bibiano would give any 135r trouble so would askren at 170.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rizin open weight tournament with Wandy, Cro Crop and Carwin? Yes please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Lukker- wrote: »
    Rizin open weight tournament with Wandy, Cro Crop and Carwin? Yes please.

I dont like old fighters sticking round longer getting braindamaged but If you match them against each other im kind of ok with a ''legends'' division of the old school fighters.

Paul Daley off the Bellator card tonight hope they shift him to the Dublin card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Gamebred wrote: »
    Paul Daley off the Bellator card tonight hope they shift him to the Dublin card.

Was just reading that. Bad weight cut. Card really fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Main event should still be decent. Looking forward to seeing Davis's wrestling against McGeary's guard.

its on spike tomorrow at 10 anyways...leads into the mexico card nicely.

dashoonage wrote: »
    its on spike tomorrow at 10 anyways...leads into the mexico card nicely.

Its on tonight mate.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Its on tonight mate.

Yes i know that!

But its not on tv until tomorrow night.

my **** broadband means im better off waiting to watch it on spike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGeary Phil Davis about to start, Davis tries to lay on him hes getting triangled.

McGeary Phil Davis about to start, Davis tries to lay on him hes getting triangled.

Ward fight first.

You'd have to fancy McGeary to get it done.

The Tito-Chael segment was embarrassing. Cringe factor 10.

To make matters worse, Tito posted this:

https://twitter.com/titoortiz/status/794723993534296064

Competitive first round, probably have to give it to Davis for the takedown and he rocked McGeary but close round.

Same pattern. McGeary on top early until take down and controlled.

2-0 Davis.

However, Davis already looks knackered. McGeary looks fresh. Have a feeling McGeary will KO him in the 4th.

3-0 Davis. Same pattern. Took him down, laid on him.

Still looks knackered.

Davis dominating him without taking risks,good dominant performance still feel McGeary could pull it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

you two know your stuff,but could liam not do more or would that be detrimental or can he just not cos phil is better

gitzy16v wrote: »
    you two know your stuff,but could liam not do more or would that be detrimental or can he just not cos phil is better

He's tried for a triangle a couple of times but it's hard against a high-level wrestler.

At this stage he has to swing for the fences and hope to connect.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing performance from McGeary so far. Looked sloppy even on the feet from the get go.

im more a boxing fan,so obvioulsy like standup better but the intracicies of mma is fascinating when in the clinch(right phrase?)

Davis absolutely grapple ****ed him,wrestler out grappling a jiu jitsu guy classic case here blanket gameplan,

You can see why Davis is hated he has no intentions of trying to get a finish complete turn off had a head and arm triangle and jumps back to mount.

Davis absolutely grapple ****ed him,wrestler out grappling a jiu jitsu guy classic case here blanket gameplan,

You can see why Davis is hated he has no intentions of trying to get a finish complete turn off had a head and arm triangle and jumps back to mount.

thats where i miss out the difference between jiu jitsu and wrestling,it looked boring to me but also i think ufc is heading for a stand up situation.(not good)
    someone posted a video of a jiu jitsu contest last week,it looked cool proper style twist turn i dont know ive no idea but it looked so much cleaner(obviously no punching)

im more a boxing fan,so obvioulsy like standup better but the intracicies of mma is fascinating when in the clinch(right phrase?)

McGregor will be more your type of fight next week :)

Although a word of warning, what you just saw is a carbon copy of what Eddie Alvarez plans on doing to McGregor - drag him to the floor and lie on top of him for 5 rounds.

The difference (hopefully) is that Conor won't be as vulnerable to the leg kicks that destroyed McGeary tonight. Completely threw him out of rhythm allowing him to be taken down at ease.

thats where i miss out the difference between jiu jitsu and wrestling,it looked boring to me but also i think ufc is heading for a stand up situation.(not good)
    someone posted a video of a jiu jitsu contest last week,it looked cool proper style twist turn i dont know ive no idea but it looked so much cleaner(obviously no punching)

Davis is a college wrestling champion has fought that kind of way all his career has no fans because of it even grappling fans like myself are bored of it but its mixed martial arts people are gonna play to their strengths if they work,

Sport Jiu Jitsu (Eddie Bravo invitational competetion for example) is slick fun Jiu Jitsu a lot of leck locks and stuff like that which is fun to watch the scrambles.

Davis is a college wrestling champion has fought that kind of way all his career has no fans because of it even grappling fans like myself are bored of it but its mixed martial arts people are gonna play to their strengths if they work,

Sport Jiu Jitsu (Eddie Bravo invitational competetion for example) is slick fun Jiu Jitsu a lot of leck locks and stuff like that which is fun to watch the scrambles.

EBI rules are fun. Did you see Eddie is including open-palm strikes in his next venture?

Watching Davis is like watching paint dry but you have to admire his discipline. Can't be easy for the crowd to always boo and still stick to your gameplan, despite knowing it's boring as sh1te.

Yeah love leg locks and those type of submissions,where your caught by skill rather than power...again im no expert...

@wonderfullife...lol im only watching this mma so much because of Mcgregor,had a passing interest but realised a lot of fight go to ground so im trying to expand my knowledge...conor just "fights" people not quite the jiu jitsu video i seen(maybe one of you guys posted it,it was polaris in london i think).
    dont get me wrong i love seeing a knockout but i learn f all from it

Yeah love leg locks and those type of submissions,where your caught by skill rather than power...again im no expert...

@wonderfullife...lol im only watching this mma so much because of Mcgregor,had a passing interest but realised a lot of fight go to ground so im trying to expand my knowledge...conor just "fights" people not quite the jiu jitsu video i seen(maybe one of you guys posted it,it was polaris in london i think).
    dont get me wrong i love seeing a knockout but i learn f all from it

I hear ya! I much prefer striking contests in MMA you can't beat a good scrap lol. But i also love watching straight jiujitsu and the likes of Jacare, Demian Maia, Gunnar Nelson to name a few in the UFC. Ryan Hall is a heel-hook wizard.

If you're interested no matter what age or fitness you are, give it a go in the gym - there's SBG's all over the place now and obviously many, many other MMA gyms in the country. I really should try do the same myself soon lol.

Go to youtube and type in "Keenan Cornelius basics" or visit his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/fritzdagger/videos

He explains the basic concepts really well. It'll help give you a greater appreciation then of what you're actually watching when it hits the deck in an MMA fight.

It's a lot more fun when you have even a rough idea of what submissions they are trying for and what the opponent can try do to escape or counter-attack.

There's probably better tutorial videos online but i like Keenans videos because he uses really simple english to describe what he's doing.

• Advertisement

You fcuker ive bed to go to...im gonna be jiu jitsu champion watching all these lol,well my kids will im too far gone :D:D...ty...

You fcuker ive bed to go to...im gonna be jiu jitsu champion watching all these lol,well my kids will im too far gone :D:D...ty...

You're never too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Eddie Bravo invitational, Polaris, etc are the exception rather than the rule though. Or a specific subset of jiu jitsu - sub only.
    In normal sports jiu jitsu you see a lot more stalling, point fight, boring jiu jitsu and a lot less flashy stuff.

Mellor wrote: »
    Eddie Bravo invitational, Polaris, etc are the exception rather than the rule though. Or a specific subset of jiu jitsu - sub only.
    In normal sports jiu jitsu you see a lot more stalling, point fight, boring jiu jitsu and a lot less flashy stuff.

Agree,with the very odd exception Rafa Mendes in the gi IBJJF rules is very entertaining,do enjoy watching the Miyao brothers too.

casyDHw.jpg

Looking forward to Pimlett fighting live on CageWarriors before the UFC start nexts Saturday

never copped 164 is live now?

• Advertisement

Nope not live anywhere gonna be tape delayed, bellator are fools ive seen the result of the main event now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Also seen the result. I also didnt realise Lahat got cut by the ufc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Are there just the 2 title fights on Cage Warriors or are there others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cage Warriors Unplugged:

John Redmond (7-12) v Leeroy Barnes (15-16)

I like Johnny Jitzu, but Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

And what on earth are Cage Warriors doing hosting the event in the BT Sport studios with a handful of people in attendance?

• Advertisement

The Irony of his name is he's bleeding ****e at grappling.

Hahahaha just as I post it he gets choked out in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Paully D wrote: »
    And what on earth are Cage Warriors doing hosting the event in the BT Sport studios with a handful of people in attendance?

Getting live television exposure for no cost (BT Paid for all advertising/location etc.)

For Cage Warriors it's decent exposure tonight and at no cost other than fighter pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Did nobody tell the lads this isn't a grappling match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jay from the Inbetweeners up next against Juicy J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Pure robbery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

What was he doing in the fourth round. He should have took him out. He let him recover for the whole round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Caught a bit of the Paddy Pimple fight via faceobook live. He looked like he was getting picked apart for the round and a half I seen.
    Did he pull it off in the other rounds?

Nothing, he got his head caved in with a knee in rd 4 I think it was, I had Arosa 3 or 4-1 up on the cards must watch it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nothing, he got his head caved in with a knee in rd 4 I think it was, I had Arosa 3 or 4-1 up on the cards must watch it again.
    eRosa is an unlikable prick but he was robbed

• Advertisement
Advertisement