Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Nothing, he got his head caved in with a knee in rd 4 I think it was, I had Arosa 3 or 4-1 up on the cards must watch it again.

But he won, right? Or did I misread the results.
    UFC bound my a$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Mellor wrote: »
    But he won, right? Or did I misread the results.
    UFC bound my a$$
    he won
    Dunno how but he did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

smilerf wrote: »
    he won
    Dunno how but he did

An organisation where the champion's manager is also the CEO, in a country with no governing body...

No idea how he won either to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

An organisation where the champion's manager is also the CEO, in a country with no governing body...

No idea how he won either to be honest.
    Didn't know that
    Shouldn't be allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I dont see bellator on Spike this weekend....is it no on or am i just really struggling with TV guides lately :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bellator was interesting last night;Vassell put on a jj clinic against Carmount, Baby slice lost; I seen better fights on Dame Street than I seen pf the MVP fight; Chandler went through Henderson. Hendersons Bellator career hasnt been great. It was a decent event and worth a watch, Gil Melendez wife was superb with a quick ko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ASOT wrote:
    Bellator was interesting last night;Vassell put on a jj clinic against Carmount, Baby slice lost; I seen better fights on Dame Street than I seen pf the MVP fight; Chandler went through Henderson. Hendersons Bellator career hasnt been great. It was a decent event and worth a watch, Gil Melendez wife was superb with a quick ko.

Some duplex from Chandler. Spectacular

Some duplex from Chandler. Spectacular

Really like chandler; great fighter. Hopefully makes the jump to the ufc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ASOT wrote:
    Really like chandler; great fighter. Hopefully makes the jump to the ufc.

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Alvarez again.

• Advertisement

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Alvarez again.

Or a trilogy with Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Think he just signed a multi fight deal to Bellator, seems pretty happy there. A shame because he's arguably in the top 5/10 lightweights in the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Very obvious GSP is straight into Bellator soon as his contract dispute is sorted will be paid massive money to show and sponsors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Very obvious GSP is straight into Bellator soon as his contract dispute is sorted will be paid massive money to show and sponsors.

Cxqe4X8XUAAQA9c.jpg
    Thanks @chaelsonnen for inviting me to train in the @bellatormma cage! Learned so much new stuff under the supervision of @neilmelanson

Could just be a power play considering he's still in negotiations with the ufc.

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Cxqe4X8XUAAQA9c.jpg

Could just be a power play considering he's still in negotiations with the ufc.

He's not. He's in the middle of confirming with very expensive sports lawyers that his ufc contract is void. He's given the ufc notice of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

He's not. He's in the middle of confirming with very expensive sports lawyers that his ufc contract is void. He's given the ufc notice of the same.

Well from the interviews I've seen he's clearly at odds with the UFC. The recent one he did on the MMA hour while saying his layers/advisors told him he was free from his contract he delivered this news like it was gospel.

I struggle to see how the failure to get GSP an opponent by a deadline means his contract is void even as I typed that it's ludicrous. Oh Robbie can't fight after the recovery from the Woodley fight is taking too long, ok sound see ye lads I'm off to Bellator!

• Advertisement

Anyone see the MVP fight last night? it was 3 rounds of break dancing cant wait to see him exposed sick of the matching bellator are giving him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Anyone see the MVP fight last night? it was 3 rounds of break dancing cant wait to see him exposed sick of the matching bellator are giving him.

Yeah MVP can't blame his opponent there. Completely turned me off MVP.

Yeah MVP can't blame his opponent there. Completely turned me off MVP.

They are treating him like hes a 19 year old prospect, hes nearly 30 and fighting bums starting to think Bellator will never give him a step up in competition because they know Santa Claus aint real to coin a phrase.

They are treating him like hes a 19 year old prospect, hes nearly 30 and fighting bums starting to think Bellator will never give him a step up in competition because they know Santa Claus aint real to coin a phrase.

Gonzalez was on a 5 fight win streak in Bellator before the MVP fight and Santos was a name in their division. They weren't littered with top quality Welterweights before that. Hardly bums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

MVP looks all hype, split decision win over a guy with something like a 20-10 record. Santos was taking him down and causing trouble in R1 too. Rory, Koreshkov, Lima all beat him easily enough I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Let him fight Paul Daley, no excuses there because Daley won't take him down.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Gonzalez was on a 5 fight win streak in Bellator before the MVP fight and Santos was a name in their division. They weren't littered with top quality Welterweights before that. Hardly bums.

Ah come on cyborg is knocking around donkeys years hes about 40 years old with a record with 20 wins 20 losses or something shocking like that far cry from the one who fought Nick Diaz,

That lad last night is 25 and 14 you cant honestly say you even heard of a single person on his record bar Karo Parisyan.

His head would be caved in if they match him against either of them 3, this is actually doing him harm protecting him like this.

Ah come on cyborg is knocking around donkeys years hes about 40 years old with a record with 20 wins 20 losses or something shocking like that far cry from the one who fought Nick Diaz,

That lad last night is 25 and 14 you cant honestly say you even heard of a single person on his record bar Karo Parisyan.

The only other welterweights they could give him are probably Brennan Ward or Saad Awad who just fought each other and were booked at the time. Just because they have mediocre records doesn't make them bad fighters. They should give him Daley/Ward next anyway but you're making it out that Bellator are littered with top class welterweights that they could be giving him.

The only other welterweights they could give him are probably Brennan Ward or Saad Awad who just fought each other and were booked at the time. Just because they have mediocre records doesn't make them bad fighters. They should give him Daley/Ward next anyway but you're making it out that Bellator are littered with top class welterweights that they could be giving him.

They aren't bad fighters in grand scheme. But their records paint a fair picture of them. Mixed bag, with slightly more wins than losses. Career journeyman types.

People are still fawning of MVPs highlight reel verses debutants in the UK. He signed for as a prospect. He's 8-0 since then. The divisions aren't big, so it took careful matchmaking to get to this point.

He should fight Daley, Lima or Koreshkov next.

They aren't bad fighters in grand scheme. But their records paint a fair picture of them. Mixed bag, with slightly more wins than losses. Career journeyman types.

People are still fawning of MVPs highlight reel verses debutants in the UK. He signed for as a prospect. He's 8-0 since then. The divisions aren't big, so it took careful matchmaking to get to this point.

He should fight Daley, Lima or Koreshkov next.

Yeah I agree, but Gonzalez was the best match up to give him before he gets one of the big guns. On a 5 fight win streak and was 25-13 before the fight, not the worst record.

He's not gonna fight Lima for the belt anyway I'd say Rory will. I'd love to see him against Brennan Ward, would be a good fight and a good test to see where he's at. Either him or Paul Daley. MVP against Daley would be a very good headliner for 1 of their 4 UK/Irish shows next year.

Yeah I agree, but Gonzalez was the best match up to give him before he gets one of the big guns.
    Gonzo is a good gate keeper I agree. But MVP is 8-0 in their WW division, he should have been fighting Gonzo 2 or 3 fights ago, progressed much further by now (or lost obv).

Lima got a shot after 3 wins, and his second after 5 wins
    Koreshkov was 5 wins for his shot, and 3 for his second
    Amoussou had 4 wins
    Hieron had 3 wins.
    Rick Hawn has 3 and 4
    Ben Askren had 3 wins.

So it's fairly clear, 3 or 4 wins is the norm for a titleshot. That's due to the tournament format for deciding no.1 contenders.
    MVP making it to 8 fights and barely scratching the top tier is a joke really

Gonzo is a good gate keeper I agree. But MVP is 8-0 in their WW division, he should have been fighting Gonzo 2 or 3 fights ago, progressed much further by now (or lost obv).

Lima got a shot after 3 wins, and his second after 5 wins
    Koreshkov was 5 wins for his shot, and 3 for his second
    Amoussou had 4 wins
    Hieron had 3 wins.
    Rick Hawn has 3 and 4
    Ben Askren had 3 wins.

So it's fairly clear, 3 or 4 wins is the norm for a titleshot. That's due to the tournament format for deciding no.1 contenders.
    MVP making it to 8 fights and barely scratching the top tier is a joke really

He probably should have gotten better match ups but too call his opposition bums isn't right. He'll get someone bigger in his next fight anyway I'm sure.

They are bums in comparison if we're talking about whether or not MVP is elite. They've barely even got winning records.

• Advertisement

That's kind of surprising, I wonder what Bendo was on in the UFC. Also wonder what Rory will be on.

Not panning out well for Bendo, I'm sure that would have been fight of the night if it was the UFC and $50,000 the same as his base pay would have awarded. He also had a sole tiny hard to see sponsor on his shorts hard to see how they pay him close to 15k (his last Reebok money).

No win Bonus for the champion shocking! Paid the same amount as the challenger for probably the biggest win of his career.

That's kind of surprising, I wonder what Bendo was on in the UFC. Also wonder what Rory will be on.

Bendo was like 48/48 on his last contract. As champion he was 100/100 :eek: (Info from fight with Gil... http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/22/4252310/ufc-on-fox-7-salaries-benson-henderson-earns-200000-for-win-over )

I never really understood people who talkedabout fighter going to the Belator or wherever to get better pay. They pay dirt, and always have. They might have a headliner on 200k for a one-off event (Tito, Chael, etc) but if you are in anyway regular it's poor.
    The other end of the scale is much worse.

And sure reebok money is crap for popular main care fighters. But I don't believe anyone is getting buttons on the undercard is getting 20k for a logo nobody will see

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/801182545874296832

I'm not mad for championing fighter pay nobody puts a gun to their head to pursue the career but seen as I watch as much mma cards as possible across different orgs I'd like to think they get compensated fairly for the entertainment they give us all, look at that money absolute peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I'm not mad for championing fighter pay nobody puts a gun to their head to pursue the career but seen as I watch as much mma cards as possible across different orgs I'd like to think they get compensated fairly for the entertainment they give us all, look at that money absolute peanuts.

Please tell me jake roberts nickname is the snake

On the flip side of things would they get even less at a regional promotion?

Please tell me jake roberts nickname is the snake
    http://m.sherdog.com/fighter/Jake-Roberts-155005

Jaysus Sarah D'alelio 1.5k/1.5k :eek::eek::eek: won and made less than Kimbos son in his first pro fight and he lost!!...That woman fought Rousey and holds a win over the current UFC champion!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Jaysus Sarah D'alelio 1.5k/1.5k :eek::eek::eek: won and made less than Kimbos son in his first pro fight and he lost!!...That woman fought Rousey and holds a win over the current UFC champion!!

Bingo!

People banging on about the UFC underpaying fighters are really oblivious to the alternative. UFC get a lot of crap simply because they are the powerhouse. But until the alternative isn't poverty, its the best deal and nothing will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Not panning out well for Bendo, I'm sure that would have been fight of the night if it was the UFC and $50,000 the same as his base pay would have awarded. He also had a sole tiny hard to see sponsor on his shorts hard to see how they pay him close to 15k (his last Reebok money).

No win Bonus for the champion shocking! Paid the same amount as the challenger for probably the biggest win of his career.

the whole free agent/bellator thing is a pipe dream tbh...that even as a guy with bendos name is on that little is pretty damning especially with viacom backing.

To be fair I'd imagine Chandlers sponsorship package is substantial enough. Not sure about mma but in other sports top tier guys on monster are very well looked after.

Bendo is making substantially more with Bellator than the UFC offered him and his contract includes rises for wins, undisclosed steipends from viacom, money for doing TV work for spike for their mma coverage, a **** ton more than 5k for gear sponsorships and more.

Mittrione, Rory, Bendo and Chael have all said that what viacom offered then dwarfed what the UFC were willing to give them and the ability to control what they wear and have banners gave them massively more earning potential.

Bellator pays over all aren't great, but neither are UFC payments in comparison to that they are taking in as a company.

Justin Gaethje reportedly planning to test free agency after his next fight. Would love to see him in the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Justin Gaethje reportedly planning to test free agency after his next fight. Would love to see him in the UFC.

would like to see him tested alright...get in and shred some knees!

• Advertisement

Ralek Gracie is fighting Hisaki Kato at Bellator 170. This wont end well at all for Ralek. Must be fighting to pay off his debts.

ASOT wrote: »
    Ralek Gracie is fighting Hisaki Kato at Bellator 170. This wont end well at all for Ralek. Must be fighting to pay off his debts.

He's beaten Saku, so clearly he can fight. He might surprise people. His Bjj is also top drawer, obviously.

He's beaten Saku, so clearly he can fight. He might surprise people. His Bjj is also top drawer, obviously.

Kato has kod joe schilling twice within the last year and a half though; obviously if he gets it to the ground it could go his way but I just think itll be a massacre on the feet. He hasnt fought in 6 years also which cant be good.

Ralek not win there by armbar about 3 weeks ago on Bellator or was that a different Gracie? Kato is a beast anyways war lord the man great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

ASOT wrote: »

Hey remember, Ralek does not exist to pay his debts!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement