Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    He was a division 1 wrestler, 2nd at some big comps, and trialled for the Olympic team. Wrestling is tough, and he would have routinely been in way way more compromising positions then.

He was subbed by Silva and Maia, but nothing about them looked soft imo. Haven't seen his early sub losses (Jeremy Horn, Sobral)

His wrestling credentials were never in doubt, he probably had the best double leg in MMA for a while but his sub defense is suspect. 9 of his 14 losses have been via submission. I don't think the fight was fixed but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sonnen went into the fight ready to give his back if Ortiz ever managed to get full mount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lukker- wrote:
    I don't think the fight was fixed but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sonnen went into the fight ready to give his back if Ortiz ever managed to get full mount.

That's just as fixed than a prearranged result in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    His wrestling credentials were never in doubt, he probably had the best double leg in MMA for a while but his sub defense is suspect. 9 of his 14 losses have been via submission. I don't think the fight was fixed but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sonnen went into the fight ready to give his back if Ortiz ever managed to get full mount.
    My point about the wrestling is that he'd feel more neck pressure during wrestling hold than that thing.
    Most of those subs where a long time ago. Only 3 or 4 in the last decade. But let's say he has terrible sub defense, can't escape to save his life. That still requires Tito to actually lock up a submission before Chael is done for. The grip he had for the tap was really loose looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All caught up now... That build up to the choke was.... well, odd to say the least.

Chael could have beaten Tito no problem but just gave up his back like nobody's business.

Very very strange.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I'm not writing off the pressure a 230lb Tito generates. Chael said in the presser it was a choke not a crank when asked.

It's the hands that look really suspect to me. I know you can finish a gable.fist grip instead of a RNC, as in a short choke. I probably do that variation more. But that requires levering off the shoulder blade. Which I'm not sure he had off to the side like that. It looks very one sided to me.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/52861733/tito12.0.0.jpeg

I might give a pass to one of two of those details. But releasing the darce, the lack of defending, putting his head back into the choke, choking from the side, Bellator's track record. It's cumulatively a lot. But we'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

What i find stranger than the choe was chaels 50k disclosed pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've finished rnc's with one hand but not when my arm was across there jaw, that's just uncomfortable, nothing worth tapping over.

Very dodge finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

If they fixed the fight it would make no sense to have chael lose though. Tito is retired now and they were looking to market chael.

Having him lose so easily detracts from his value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gamebred wrote: »

If you watch the whole fight, you'll see he was rubbing his head with the same hand in the same sort of way before this. On it's own it kinda looks like maybe he's tapping. In the context of the whole fight, it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

That's not a tap by Tito. At all.

I've tapped to someone finishing an "RNC" across the jaw a few times. Gunnar Nelson has a mean choke or crank combo from there. It can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Its an ideal to actually get the RNC under the chin on the neck. Anyone half decent will tuck their chin.

My coach was actually discussing this with some guys last week and said to be prepared to crank the face off someone as the pressure alone will likely result in a tap, and not necessarily look for the ideal under the chin (in a fight scenario) .

ASOT wrote: »
    Was this a PPV?
    If they fixed the fight it would make no sense to have chael lose though. Tito is retired now and they were looking to market chael.

Having him lose so easily detracts from his value

His value is his prefight drama. Not his fighting ability. Has always been like that.

There's a suggesting (I can't confirm) that with all Tito's "I'm not even going to look for the sub, I'm just gonna to beat down on him" talk in the build up. The Vegas price for Tito by Sub in Rd 1 rose to 50/1
    Richy06 wrote: »
    I've tapped to someone finishing an "RNC" across the jaw a few times. Gunnar Nelson has a mean choke or crank combo from there. It can be done.

Absolutely, tucking your chin isn't a defence. I've tapped in comp and I've done it to training partners who insisted it's iron clad.

Perfect example here:
    Gunnar Nelson vrs Albery Tumenov

But I wasn't criticising Chaels tap because it wasn't on the chin. It was more Tito's hand position, and the way he was rotated around to the side.

My problem with the choke is chaels hands fighting it, or lack of fighting the choke I should say it was very laboured 2 minutes into a fight aswell, as Hardy says you'd have to questions where Sonnen's heart is now aged 40 off the juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ASOT wrote: »

Chael, Rory and Mitrione all have deals that are a small base pay and then they get multipliers based on gate and views (and they keep their personal sponsors which can be 100K+). Bendo and a few others probably on the same deals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Was this a PPV?

Nope. Free to watch on Spike TV

Was this a PPV?

His value is his prefight drama. Not his fighting ability. Has always been like that.

There's a suggesting (I can't confirm) that with all Tito's "I'm not even going to look for the sub, I'm just gonna to beat down on him" talk in the build up. The Vegas price for Tito by Sub in Rd 1 rose to 50/1

Not a PPV. Bellator have only tried one I think and it didnt go well.

I agree his selling point is the pre-fight drama but it only works if you are winning some fights too. If you are talking crap and getting subbed in the first round every time people will tune out quickly. It also makes bellator match making look a joke (which it is a lot of the time) if he loses and they still throw him their top guys.

I doubt it was a worked fight but I wouldn't rule it out. If it was I wouldn't be surprised if chael just decided to throw the fight. If Bellator had any collusion in it they are absolute idiots and I don't think they are that bad

So Chael is now 'competing' against Tonon on SUG, gets tapped out easily by Tito and takes on one of the top grapplers on the planet weeks later.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/simonhead/status/823918573609451520

Another bum for Gallagher to beat on a 2 streak loss.

Gonna be funny when they build this streak like they have MVP and then feed him to Straus or another high level fighter and he gets his soul taken on live TV.

Gonna be funny when they build this streak like they have MVP and then feed him to Straus or another high level fighter and he gets his soul taken on live TV.

I genuinely hope MVP has his soul taken immediately, Gallagher is young and impressionable MVP should know better, taking the piss out Rousey was sad considering she would probably beat him and everyone hes ever fought.

I genuinely hope MVP has his soul taken immediately, Gallagher is young and impressionable MVP should know better, taking the piss out Rousey was sad considering she would probably beat him and everyone hes ever fought.

MVP vs Daly to headline a London show, please god let it happen. Daly will kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Oh that would be magical. Daly would take his head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Another bum for Gallagher to beat on a 2 streak loss.

And 1-3 in his last 4 fights.

Embarrassing.

So Chael is now 'competing' against Tonon on SUG, gets tapped out easily by Tito and takes on one of the top grapplers on the planet weeks later.
    Tonon's comments on twitter are brilliant, i hope the fight is as fun as the build up

Bellator have pulled sonnen from the match up, saved him really from more embarrassment.

Bellator have pulled sonnen from the match up, saved him really from more embarrassment.

Dumb decision by them. It in no way hurts their business.
    Sonnen was absolutely going to subbed in under 2 mins, but he'd have nothing to be embarrassed about.

• Advertisement

I as really looking forward to more of this in the run up to the fight...
    Good news or bad news first?

The Bad news is Hector Lombard pulled out of our match at @SUG_Grappling
    The Good news...
    …Hector Lombard will be replaced in @SUG_Grappling with a guy that "almost" beat one of the greatest of all time
    My match in @SUG_Grappling will be with a guy who "almost" held a UFC title
    I'll be competing in @SUG_Grappling against a guy who "almost" had all his dreams realized in the Octagon
    A guy who's about to "almost" get paralyzed in a cage at @SUG_Grappling against the real American Gangster, from dirty Jersey @Garry_Tonon
    The guy who "almost" passed some steroid tests, I'll be submitting none other than Mr. Almost @ChaelSonnen at @SUG_Grappling Jan 29th
    Ok guys I gotta go train, something that Captain Almost clearly knows nothing about. See y'all soon
    For my match against Chael the Noguiera Bros will be in my corner. Little Nog will be feeding me carrots and big Nog will be petting my head
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:
    It's about time, I've been waiting for my steak for like an hour now, hard to find good help these days.
    aPdmod0l.jpg

Just catching up on the Bellator card from Friday night. During the prelims/main broadcast they talked about David Rickels... I always feel that if you're being built up solely on your walkout, you're in trouble from the get go.

Bizarre promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I see Cage Warriors has been announced for March 4th in the point depot. I hope they price their tickets correctly. It would be great to see another packed out event down there.

Tickets are 15e, no fights announced I dont think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

http://www.the42.ie/cage-warriors-dublin-ireland-event-4-march-2017-3212669-Jan2017/

I know who Moore is, costigan is local...other than that ive no idea who the rest are.

I made the point to a mate earlier that bamma has hoovered up most of the irish talent at the moment. It will take a while for CW to establish a decent irish athlete rota.

This will be on BT sports i assume.

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    http://www.the42.ie/cage-warriors-dublin-ireland-event-4-march-2017-3212669-Jan2017/

I know who Moore is, costigan is local...other than that ive no idea who the rest are.

I made the point to a mate earlier that bamma has hoovered up most of the irish talent at the moment. It will take a while for CW to establish a decent irish athlete rota.

McColgan looks a good prospect. Beat a more experienced Queally in his last fight who was touted for a UFC contract

McColgan looks a good prospect. Beat a more experienced Queally in his last fight who was touted for a UFC contract

Ah i just twigged he is the SBG Hunter!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm pretty sure BAMMA don't sign lads up to multi fight contracts though. They are free to fight under different promotions.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure BAMMA don't sign lads up to multi fight contracts though. They are free to fight under different promotions.

I wasnt aware of that thanks! every day is a school day around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

BAMMA don't pay fighters an awful lot. I think the exclusivity deals only work if fighters can make a living from being signed solely to one organisation.

I think Cage Warriors did that in the past and I believe was one of the reasons it became unpopular with fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

4 tickets to Cage Warriors 81 for sale. Great seats in Block B. €10 each if anyone is interested PM me.

Daley is getting wrestle****ed,

Co main MVP v some bum security guard from aldi.

Daley is getting wrestle****ed,

Co main MVP v some bum security guard from aldi.

**** it i was hoping he would step up to a lidl security guard.

A half decent undercard and I'll be heading to that card anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveydon

Wow. I paid through the nose for tickets for UFC London and the main event I'm getting is Corey Anderson v Jimi Manuwa, and the headline for Bellator London is Macdonald vs Daley....

I'd be mighty tempted to head over to this. Tickets would be a fraction the price of UFC London.

Raging, was convinced that Daley vs MVP was happening because of rumours last week.

Rory should win this but Daley might have it in him to KO him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

steveydon wrote: »
    Wow. I paid through the nose for tickets for UFC London and the main event I'm getting is Corey Anderson v Jimi Manuwa, and the headline for Bellator London is Macdonald vs Daley....

Gutted I've paid for the UFC now... Oh well.

Bellator is going to be in Turin in April. Stones throw from Malta so I'll be heading to that I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Great main event. Almost regardless of what the undercard is it's probably going to be a better card than the UFC one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement