Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that was a real nasty headkick that Hardy took - the crack off it was something else. She was dominated in that fight though, she looked sloppy and amateur against Williams. Not a mark on Williams either.

That and the main fight were decent but the others weren't great. Especially the first fight, really bad stuff. Didn't watcht he prelims though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Yeah that was a real nasty headkick that Hardy took - the crack off it was something else. She was dominated in that fight though, she looked sloppy and amateur against Williams. Not a mark on Williams either.

That and the main fight were decent but the others weren't great. Especially the first fight, really bad stuff. Didn't watcht he prelims though.
    The prelims were ok actually even though it was mostly fighters with little or no mma record at all. One thing Bellator are terrible at is promotion. I am on 6-7 different mma news sites on almost a daily basis and I had no idea this event was even on until 3 days before. You can't appeal to casuals if you don't even advertise to the hardcore fanbase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Anyone watching cage warriors? Prelims on sport Bible on facebook. Decent enough entertainment so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Anyone watching cage warriors? Prelims on sport Bible on facebook. Decent enough entertainment so far.

Watching the boxing for the evening myself, debating if I want to watch the UFC later or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone on here giving Moore a shot against McKee on Friday night?

McKee 9-0 and highly regarded as a prospect, he has looked good but has yet to really face anyone.

Bellator will obviously be hoping McKee wins to set up the fight with Gallagher, but I think Moore could be a dangerous guy to be putting in against a pretty untested prospect. 10-5, but when you look at his record some of his losses have come against really good fighters. Wilkinson who went 2-2 in the UFC, Weichel who is one of the best and most experienced featherweights around outside of the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Reposting this from the Bamma 32 thread, might get more views!

Is there a full card available for this anywhere?

Serious difference in promotion and production compared to the UFC. Bellator's own website only lists 3 main card fights and 2 prelims, lol.

Bamma card is here but again I'm doubtful that this is the full list?
    http://www.bamma.com/events/bamma-32

RE: Bellator 186, did anyone find that Ducote fight awful? I usually find the commentators on Bellator okay, but Jimmy Smith was being a bit ridiculous for this one, talking it up with generic crap like "These two warriors are leaving it all in the cage" that really did not gel with what was happening on screen....

Good dominant victory for Ryan Bader as well, decent to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hey all. I'm a UFC fan and with hung head I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of bellator. Is it another organisation for mma? Is it shown on Irish TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

sticker wrote: »
    Hey all. I'm a UFC fan and with hung head I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of bellator. Is it another organisation for mma? Is it shown on Irish TV?

Yep it is lots of ex ufc guys fighting there.roy nelson wanderli Silva are two I can think of.probably on bt sports im guessing.

Cheers. Is it worth watching? Tweet with Mcgregor crashing ring sounds like ufc commentary guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cheers. Is it worth watching? Tweet with Mcgregor crashing ring sounds like ufc commentary guys
    That'll be Goldie you heard, he's commentating for them now.
    If they put on more serious fights instead of exhibition fan favourite fights it'd probably be a serious contender to the UFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

They have some good fighters, but the level is not the same as the UFC.

You'll find most of their big names are former UFC fighters (Rory MacDonald, Roy Nelson, Benson Henderson etc.) who swapped over for a better pay day. (Bellator doesn't have that stupid Reebok sponsorship/fighter extortion system) in place.

Bellator is also known for putting on exhibition matches (Kimbo Slice v Dada 5000 for example) which gives it a bit of a circus/pantomime name.

Also check out One FC in Asia. It's shown here on BT Sports or Setanta. Mostly Asian fighters as you would expect but decent enough. They used to allow soccer kicks to downed opponents too, but I believe that's changed.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    They have some good fighters, but the level is not the same as the UFC.

You'll find most of their big names are former UFC fighters (Rory MacDonald, Roy Nelson, Benson Henderson etc.) who swapped over for a better pay day. (Bellator doesn't have that stupid Reebok sponsorship/fighter extortion system) in place.

Bellator is also known for putting on exhibition matches (Kimbo Slice v Dada 5000 for example) which gives it a bit of a circus/pantomime name.

Also check out One FC in Asia. It's shown here on BT Sports or Setanta. Mostly Asian fighters as you would expect but decent enough. They used to allow soccer kicks to downed opponents too, but I believe that's changed.

Many thanks for that. Does SKY broadcast Bellator? I did a quick search but can't seem to find any reference...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I've never seen Bellator on Sky myself. It could be on Spike TV or maybe broadcast at a strange time though, like a tape-delay and it's on a 3/4/5am or even 11am the next morning?

Bellator is very hit and miss. Some good fights (Girtz v Campos 3 a few months back was vicious! Reminded me of Lawler v McDonald) but the overall standard is considerably lower than UFC. But overall definitely worth watching.
    Bellator is also known for putting on exhibition matches (Kimbo Slice v Dada 5000 for example)

Never seen a spectacle like it before (or since) in MMA! By the end the commentator wasn't sure if Dada 5000 had been 'knocked down' by a feeble half punch/shove or just collapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The Jack Swagger has signed with Bellator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

dashoonage wrote: »
    The Jack Swagger has signed with Bellator!

Have just seen that from Sean Sheahan on Twitter. Think he hit the nail on the head by pointing out that Swagger/Hager was an All-American wrestler in college so he's closer to Lesnar than he is CM Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

They should cross promote....punk vs swagger is the fight we all want to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Have just seen that from Sean Sheahan on Twitter. Think he hit the nail on the head by pointing out that Swagger/Hager was an All-American wrestler in college so he's closer to Lesnar than he is CM Punk.

But at the same time, much closer to Bobby Lashley than he is to Lesnar, not that Lashley is that bad himself. There’s just levels to this sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I think Bader has a great chance of winning this, only one with a few cells left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fancy mitrone myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ricero wrote: »
    Fancy mitrone myself

I'd love if Meathead won. Mir was my favourite fighter when I first started watching MMA but I'd be happy if he got KO'd nice an early now.

Just watched Bellator 187 there. Apart from McKee v Moore, pretty terrible event!

Just watched Bellator 187 there. Apart from McKee v Moore, pretty terrible event!

I was impressed with Moore. 6/1 underdog and he had McKee in plenty of trouble in the second round. He certainly did himself no harm with that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

ricero wrote: »
    Fancy mitrone myself

I second this, meathead should have enough.

• Advertisement

I can't see this being completed by the end of 2018 at all. You need all 8 of these mostly 35-40 year olds with a lot of mileage on the body to survive injury for the entire year? No way that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

What kind of money do bellator fighters earn?
    Is it anything close to what ufc guys Get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As I understand it the top guys do pretty well, mainly because Bellator don't have the ridiculously sponsor rules that the UFC does.

Ben Henderson, Rory McDonald etc make good money I'm sure. Not a patch on what the top dogs in the UFC earn but a good bit more than they were earning as top 5 guys in the UFC.

But the bottom end is way lower. Bottom of the ladder generally in the UFC these days is $10k to fight and $10k to win. Plenty of prelim fighters in Bellator etc only pick up a few thousand.

Here's one from September where the bottom paid guy only made $1k.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/09/bellator-183-salaries-payouts-fight-purses-patricky-freire

Did anyone watch Bellator 188? Man that was bad. Four fights, first three over in the first minute of the first round basically - and even even in the sort of explosively impressive way, more just 'well, that was a terrible mismatch'.

Tournament fights are set
    Rampage vs. Sonnen - January 20
    Mitrione vs. Nelson - February 16
    Emelianenko vs. Mir - April
    Bader vs. Lawal - May
    I guess they put Bader vs Lawal together in the first round to eliminate the possibility of them humping each other for 15 minutes in the final!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

cliggg wrote: »
    Bader vs. Lawal - May
    I guess they put Bader vs Lawal together in the first round to eliminate the possibility of them humping each other for 15 minutes in the final!

It might be the cynic in me but:

Rampage vs. Sonnen - January 20 - Make sure one mouthy fighter gets through
    Emelianenko vs. Mir - April - Best fight for Fedor to get through
    Bader vs. Lawal - May - Remove a wrestler from the equation

Easy Rod wrote: »
    It might be the cynic in me but:

Rampage vs. Sonnen - January 20 - Make sure one mouthy fighter gets through
    Emelianenko vs. Mir - April - Best fight for Fedor to get through
    Bader vs. Lawal - May - Remove a wrestler from the equation
    I'd agree plus with Mitrione vs. Nelson it assures at least 1 "stand and bang" fighter gets through as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Bader vs. Lawal - May
    Badar V Nelson final for me,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Badar V Nelson final for me,

Not possible. They'll meet in the semi's if they both win.

My prediction;
    Rampage Beats Sonnen
    Fedor beats Mir
    Nelson beats Meathead
    Bader beats King Mo

Fedor beats Rampage
    Nelson Beats Bader

Nelson beats Fedor by KO to win the title baddest washed up heavyweight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Mellor wrote: »
    Not possible. They'll meet in the semi's if they both win.

My prediction;
    Rampage Beats Sonnen
    Fedor beats Mir
    Nelson beats Meathead
    Bader beats King Mo

Fedor beats Rampage
    Nelson Beats Bader

Nelson beats Fedor by KO to win the title baddest washed up heavyweight

People are seriously underestimating Mitrione.
    I see him winning the whole thing.

He deserves it anyway. He's the uncrowned champ. He's 3-0 in Bellator. 3 KOs, including Fedor in his last fight.

Sure Nelson KO'ed him before but he has improved a lot in 5 years whereas Big Country has deteriorated IMO.

Mitrione v Fedor 2 in the final for me.

Aaron Chalmers being matched up with a pro debutant who is 0-1 as an amateur in his next fight.

****ing hell.

Paully D wrote: »
    Aaron Chalmers being matched up with a pro debutant who is 0-1 as an amateur in his next fight.

****ing hell.

Desperate to get him a winning record.
    Pico is muck. The amount of people buying the BS hype about golden gloves and training his whole life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Pico muck? Way too early to tell.

Pico muck? Way too early to tell.

He's young and he could well become a champion in 5 years. But I'm talking about the way he was hyped as some sort of elite fighter training his whole life. It was way OTT.
    I just found it weird that he got more credit for failing get on the USA wrestling team, than the guy who on the team and subsequently qualified for the olympics.

Also, I now realise that Pauly said Aaron Chalmers, not Pico. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Bamma got a deal for the newcastle show on ITV4 hope its to start of something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

but1er wrote: »
    Bamma got a deal for the newcastle show on ITV4 hope its to start of something.

All down to having Aaron Chalmers on it. All of their marketing will be around him for the card

4 fighters missed weight for tonight's 8 fight Invicta card, that must be a record. The much hyped Mackenzie Dern made weight. I see also Invicta signed 15 new fighters this week including Sarah Kaufman & Pearl Gonzalez

The much hyped Mackenzie Dern made weight.
    About time. She missed her last two at straweight and ADCC.
    She only just scraped it this time too.

Luka Jelcic was fighting tonight, making his Bellator debut. Quite a highly rated guy, he was 10-2 and had won his last 6 by finish.

He
    lost to Brandon Gritz via KO early in the 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

anyone see that insane knee ko? was going to be a switch kick, guy dipped down right into the knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Bamma popped up on my Facebook feed on the Unilad page, on live now.

Rhys mckee had a good win earlier, its in itv4 now. Paddy holohan and David haye as analysts

David haye bigging up your man chalmers is.fighting.... hes 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Guillotine him FFS!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Chalmers the goat

Advertisement