Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

My friend Ian Heinisch is fighting this weekend on Dana Whites Contender series. So looking forward to it and hoping he gets a contract from the UFC is he gets a win.

Some of you may remember I got him to make a video shouting out to boardsies a while back.

Great job by your mate. Thought he was a bit reckless with the jumping knee, and I was really willing him to switch for the triangle, but fantastic ground and pound from the top.

Good job getting the contract on a night of very good fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cletus wrote: »
    Great job by your mate. Thought he was a bit reckless with the jumping knee, and I was really willing him to switch for the triangle, but fantastic ground and pound from the top.

https://gfycat.com/RigidUniqueCollie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

They don't. Most of them.have full-time jobs or are on the rock and roll. They're getting paid buttons by bellator too. Only SBG lad at bellator making ok money is Jimmy and even he isn't making much.

Just as a matter of interest what kind of money are these lads making?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

cletus wrote: »

Yeah the knee was a risky move alright! I wonder if the desire to get the job done in style knowing Dana is sitting there with contracts at the ready alter your thinking.

He hasnt been on his personal facebook yet, its the same after every fight, he normally comes on and we can chat a day or two later once the madness has subsided. My cats jumped up in a panic as I was screaming at the tv this morning! What a buzz, I was nearly crying with joy!

The fight is here.

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Ian_Heinisch_vs_Justin_Sumter_Full_Fight_DWTNCS_Season_2_Week_7/10235700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just as a matter of interest what kind of money are these lads making?.

Few grand a fight a few times year. With bellator if you're not on the main card You're probably lucky to break even after a proper training camp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Few grand a fight a few times year. With bellator if you're not on the main card You're probably lucky to break even after a proper training camp.

Yup, should have just googled it.. Thanks :)

I've been out of the MMA scene for a few years now and my curiosity was tweaked last night.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1026513143198097413

now we will see that this MVP is all about...

what a ****ing line up of fights though lads.

I'm guessing that's Neimen Gracie and not Ralek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Daley v MVP has to be in London, right?

I'm guessing that's Neimen Gracie and not Ralek?

Knowing Belator it's possibly Renzo after win last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    Knowing Belator it's possibly Helio

Fixed that for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

probably going to get slated for this but is it just me or do some of the irish guys come across as complete pr**ks compared to alot of other mma fighters, i know they have to be somewhat cocky but the likes of gallagher, ward and a few more seem very unlikable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads Ray Cooper III is on a tear in PFL, absolutely smashed Jake Shields and won again last night in 18 seconds. His style is class basically walk forward and throw short hooks and uppercuts with some power in them.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/17/17702370/pfl-6-results-raymond-cooper-iii-snags-no-1-seed-with-18-second-tko-kayla-harrison-remains-unbeaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ASOT wrote: »
    Lads Ray Cooper III is on a tear in PFL, absolutely smashed Jake Shields and won again last night in 18 seconds. His style is class basically walk forward and throw short hooks and uppercuts with some power in them.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/17/17702370/pfl-6-results-raymond-cooper-iii-snags-no-1-seed-with-18-second-tko-kayla-harrison-remains-unbeaten

Haven't seen the Fields fight but there's nothing particularly impressive in those 18 seconds - just wild swinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Haven't seen the Fields fight but there's nothing particularly impressive in those 18 seconds - just wild swinging.

Watch the Shields fight he dismantled him. Id agree there's nothing amazing but the power of the body shot stood out. He's top seed now going into the play offs; I'm enjoying PFLs format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's the sponsorship they are cleaning up on. Unlike UFC they are free to put as many names in their fight gear as they want.

Gallagher is meant to be on a good contract, 25k a fight I think.

rob316 wrote: »
    It's the sponsorship they are cleaning up on. Unlike UFC they are free to put as many names in their fight gear as they want

I doubt guys on Belator undercards are cleaning up with sponsors on their shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hooefully Gallagher will keep the mouth shut after that. Cant say i feel sorry for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ricero wrote: »
    Hooefully Gallagher will keep the mouth shut after that. Cant say i feel sorry for him

I doubt many will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Haha. I don't give a f*ck, I'm delighted to see him get beat. Hopefully the sweet chin music might knock a bit of sense into him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

upload_2018-8-18_1-46-55-png.422843

Delighted he got beat, very unlikable fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Overall the bets are in backing against SBG fighters. They talk themselves into being favourites ( so there oppoments become good odds)but not really backing it up. Bar conor it's an average gym. Not Knocking them as it's a great achievement and something to be proud off to have so many fighters in top MMA associations but for most it's a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

xtal191 wrote: »

My sentiments exactly hahah. He needs to mature form this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Actually met him once. He taught a jiu jitsu class in SBG Strabane and he couldn't have been nicer. It's a real shame he's taken all the worst aspects of Conor's persona to build his name.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Looooong over due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just made your years salary... Yeah, if you're working for deliveroo and have no bike

I just made your years salary... Yeah, if you're working for deliveroo and have no bike

Did he say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

In his tweet he said something along the lines of, 'For those who are glad, I just made your years salary'

Haha and now he's giving it the "no excuses" lark. Saying that someone who dropped you, then wobbled you, then sparked you clean out hit you with a "lucky shot" sounds like an excuse to me pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

very enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ricky's post fight interview. This man is actually Dave Franco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

James suffers from the same issue as a lot of SBG fighters, which is that they try to copy Conor's striking style without the basic striking foundation which Conor had before even joining SBG.

Without any fundamentals - the basics of distance, footwork, traps etc - you've got these young guys dancing around, switching stances, dropping their hands, acting cocky. It's like building a fancy house on quicksand.

And SBG can't give these guys the foundation they need. They're simply not capable of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

One very important thing these Conor wannabes need to remember. Conor does turn the gimmick off after the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I see Ariel has him in studio tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was glad to see him get knocked out. He's a straight to DVD Conor McGregor in the worst way possible....no-one envies your success, but jesus be your own person, and stop trying to build your career on being the MMA equivalent of Steven Segal.

Hard to listen to him for too long. He is smart you know...

In any other sport the young competitors would be encouraged to keep their feet on the ground and not celebrate too much too soon. In SBG it seems like they win on a few local shows and they rush to buy new Gucci slides and show them off on Instagram ASAP, just like Conor does. The difference is Conor has conquered the sport. Easy for me to say but I reckon SBG need to enlist a top class sports psychologist to work with these lads because they’re going nowhere yet think they’re on top of the world. Gallagher is screaming for a rematch with Bandejas but if he gets that rematch he’s just going to get starched again and then he’a really in the sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Its true a lot of younger fighters are following Conor's blue print.

Why would they not? They train closely with him and Conor is the only fighter from Ireland to make a real living out of MMA and also be arguably the most recognised sports personality in the world.

Its a pretty common thing to do across all walks to life, to follow and try and replicate someone who was successful in that field before you.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Hard to listen to him for too long. He is smart you know...

Lads if I wasn't just back from multiple bans I'd give my opinion of him.

Its true a lot of younger fighters are following the a following Conor's blue print.

Why would they not? They train closely with him and Conor is the only fighter from Ireland to make a real living out of MMA and also be arguably the most recognised sports personality in the world.

Its a pretty common thing to do across all walks to life, to follow and try and replicate someone who was successful in that field before you.

Replicate his work inside the gym of course. Replicate his persona outside the gym…why? Just be yourself. It’s obvious these guys do not make the money that they pretend they do. I don’t want to name names but just last night a SBG lad who lost his last fight in Bamma had a post up about how he loves fine Italian silks. Total nonsense.

McGregor was confident when at his stage, cocky etc. However didn't have a platform like Gallagher has at present. This attitude gets attention however you need to be top 10 guy to get away with it. He isn't yet.

McGregor was top of the IRE/UK/EU circuit and his marketing was limited to that so he was fine saying he was going to be this and that.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    McGregor was confident when at his stage, cocky etc. However didn't have a platform like Gallagher has at present. This attitude gets attention however you need to be top 10 guy to get away with it. He isn't yet.

McGregor was top of the IRE/UK/EU circuit and his marketing was limited to that so he was fine saying he was going to be this and that.
    It was genuine with him though. These lads are just trying a copy and paste job and trying to be exactly like him, and doing a piss poor imitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

He even copies his laugh. Its beyond pathetic. It's like a child playing make believe out on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Its true a lot of younger fighters are following the a following Conor's blue print.

This is the myth that people continue to fall for. McGregor is a success because he's a brilliant fighter who is expertly coached and worked his way up over time. He had what, like 14/15 fights before making it to the UFC?

His brashness and ego was built on and enabled by his success as a fighter, thus allowing him to build a brand, get rich etc.

The rest of these lads, by and large, have nothing to shout about from a competitive standpoint. They're no different from the of thousands of MMA fighters worldwide. Yet they get on as if they're superstars, with no credibility to it whatsoever. Many of them are on the dole ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Conor was always cocky. Even when he was 17 and before he had a single MMA fight.

Many of the "pro" fights on Irish fighters records from the early days of MMA here were not full pro rules fights . With the old C, B ,A class system many experienced Irish fighters never had amateur fights and their pro fights were really under what is now amateur rules.

Alot of what worked for Conor was the mental projection. Dressing and acting like the lifestyle he wants to have . Another way to say it would be "dress for the job you want to have not for the job you have".

The more economically prudent would disagree with that, but it worked for Conor so it is natural others following in his path want to emulate the same steps to success.

Conor was always cocky. Even when he was 17 and before he had a single MMA fight.

Many of the "pro" fights on Irish fighters records from the early days of MMA here were not full pro rules fights . With the old C, B ,A class system many experienced Irish fighters never had amateur fights and their pro fights were really under what is now amateur rules.  

Alot of what worked for Conor was the mental projection. Dressing and acting like the lifestyle he wants to have . Another way to say it would be "dress for the job you want to have not for the job you have".

The more economically prudent would disagree with that, but it worked for Conor so it is natural others following in his path want to emulate the same steps to success.

Granted I think you know Conor personally so you’ll know better than I do, but I seem to remember him being quite open about how skint he was until he made it to the UFC? ‘We don’t have a pot to piss in’ was his famous line on the MMA hour. Driving a banged up old 206 which I think was Dee’s, as he didn’t even have a car.

I just feel like the SBG lads equate success in MMA = being able to shop for runners in Brown Thomas. It’s a terrible mentality to have at the beginning of a sporting career. The guys who make it are the guys who want to achieve things in a sporting sense, and I just don’t see that in any of them. Especially Gallagher. From day 1 he was all about the fancy watches and all that sh*te. Take Darren Till for example – he’s not much older than James and he’s said many times he couldn’t care less about the money side of it (for now anyway) and he wants to achieve things in the sport first and foremost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement