Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Ive watched James fight Ricky again after listening to his interview with Ariel and I just cannot see what he was talking about. He mentions he should of stayed with the leg kicks. I cant see when he was controlling the fight with these.
    The lad keeps saying I got knocked the F*** out then says a rematch I believe would be a different result, then I set myself up for the fall, I wasnt afraid to do it, But then says I am gonna reap revenge on everyone who laughed at my demise.

I feel like he is trying fake humility then his ego comes in and he goes all gung ho again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Granted I think you know Conor personally so you’ll know better than I do, but I seem to remember him being quite open about how skint he was until he made it to the UFC? ‘We don’t have a pot to piss in’ was his famous line on the MMA hour. Driving a banged up old 206 which I think was Dee’s, as he didn’t even have a car.

I just feel like the SBG lads equate success in MMA = being able to shop for runners in Brown Thomas. It’s a terrible mentality to have at the beginning of a sporting career. The guys who make it are the guys who want to achieve things in a sporting sense, and I just don’t see that in any of them. Especially Gallagher. From day 1 he was all about the fancy watches and all that sh*te. Take Darren Till for example – he’s not much older than James and he’s said many times he couldn’t care less about the money side of it (for now anyway) and he wants to achieve things in the sport first and foremost.

Before Conor no one had made it, and it was true that no one had a pot to piss in. But he started spending big also as soon as he started making big.

Personally I would not conduct myself like that, but I am a grown man not a young fella emulating a hero. That said James is paid extremely well for the number of pro fights he has had. Him following Conor's blue print got him that early success and money. If he was quiet and humble he still wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Before Conor no one had made it, and it was true that no one had a pot to piss in. But he started spending big also as soon as he started making big.

Personally I would not conduct myself like that, but I am a grown man not a young fella emulating a hero. That said James is paid extremely well for the number of pro fights he has had. Him following Conor's blue print got him that early success and money. If he was quiet and humble he still wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

That's fair enough but I still think a young 21 year olds career is being defined by how much he's being paid even at this young stage. Which is not the way to be measuring sporting success imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He even does that stupid slowed down talking Conor does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

rob316 wrote: »
    He even does that stupid slowed down talking Conor does.

If you're talking to an American market he needs to slow it down a bit or they won't understand what he's saying.

I think what really distinguished McGregor when he was starting out was that he was knocking people out.

KOs + trash talk is much better than Subs + trash talk

I will say one thing positive about James Gallagher having just watched the Helwani interview - if he does rematch Banderas in December then I'll have a lot of respect for him. I can't see bellator putting them together again, but he'll go up in my estimation if it goes through. Because, Banderas looks a level or two above him to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

dulux99 wrote: »
    I will say one thing positive about James Gallagher having just watched the Helwani interview - if he does rematch Banderas in December then I'll have a lot of respect for him. I can't see bellator putting them together again, but he'll go up in my estimation if it goes through. Because, Banderas looks a level or two above him to me.

Can't see that fight being made as it's a lose-lose situation for Bellator if you think about it.

Gallagher loses 2 in a row = disaster.
    Or Gallagher wins and Bandejas hype of beating Gallagher is pretty much gone.

Can't see that fight being made as it's a lose-lose situation for Bellator if you think about it.

Gallagher loses 2 in a row = disaster.
    Or Gallagher wins and Bandejas hype of beating Gallagher is pretty much gone.

Oh I agree. I said in my post I can't see bellator putting it together but JG said in the interview that negotiations have already begun. But I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Not sure if I've seen someone get side kicked in the face before in mma

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't watch a lot of Ariel Helwani's stuff (10 hour podcasts are just too much for me) but I watched the James Gallagher interview. Is Ariel always that poor? He didn't challenge anything James said, didn't ask any tough questions, he was asking questions and giving James the answer in the same sentence, was way, way, way too complimentary. I'm not saying he should have ripped him to shreds but that was a desperate interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

The difference between our very successful boxers we have in ireland and our over hyped mma fighters personalities are night and day. All our boxers come off as pure gentlemen but all these mma fighters talking about how hard they are and its just funny at this stage to see them get knocked out. Conor backed up his talk thats the difference and to be fair he comes across decent after fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Lovely chap
    “I couldn’t hold it in. I had eight weeks of this guy messaging me crap online, sending me videos of somebody shooting a guy named Ricky. He’s uploading guns and saying, 'I’m going to kill you.' All this corny stuff.”

https://www.flocombat.com/articles/6240181-ricky-bandejas-corny-threats-by-gallagher-enhanced-bellator-204-win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    Granted I think you know Conor personally so you’ll know better than I do, but I seem to remember him being quite open about how skint he was until he made it to the UFC? ‘We don’t have a pot to piss in’ was his famous line on the MMA hour. Driving a banged up old 206 which I think was Dee’s, as he didn’t even have a car.
    That's true, but Conor had very little to show for his first 14 fights. James is half as far into his career, and I'd guess he's made a decent amount. If Conor got paid 30k to lose on cage Warriors in 2010, I'm not sure he'd have the same mentality over those years, just a guess.

I one hand, I do cringe when I see some of the things Gallagher comes out with. Some of it is terrible and feels forced. But I also don't like the abuse he gets on here either. I lot of this stems the fact the media pays him much more attention then his peers. It's kinda ironic to talk about how Conor humility post-fight, while sticking the boot into a fighter who just loss.

There are a few times when I want to see a fighter lose and lose badly. Saying cringey things trying to emulating his hero is not one of them.

Take Darren Till for example – he’s not much older than James and he’s said many times he couldn’t care less about the money side of it (for now anyway) and he wants to achieve things in the sport first and foremost.
    There's a big difference between 21 and 25 imo. At 21 Darren was in Brazil and went 8-0 over 8 months. I wonder what he was like then when the locals are creaming thay they are going to kill gringo.
    Not sure if I've seen someone get side kicked in the face before in mma
    Reminded me of Louis Smolka knocking out Richie Vas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

I think we're all human, and there's a bit of a sadist in all of us, and that James Gallagher beat down was one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in years.
    I knew when he was getting in your man's face saying "yor fooooked" it was on the cards.

Dude is one of the biggest little scrotes I've come across. Every Irish town has little ****es like him. Smoking outside the shops, giving grief to innocent passers by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Asus X540L wrote: »
    I think we're all human, and there's a bit of a sadist in all of us, and that James Gallagher beat down was one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in years.
    I knew when he was getting in your man's face saying "yor fooooked" it was on the cards.

Dude is one of the biggest little scrotes I've come across. Every Irish town has little ****es like him. Smoking outside the shops, giving grief to innocent passers by

I’m assuming you’re a fan so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

I don't watch a lot of Ariel Helwani's stuff (10 hour podcasts are just too much for me) but I watched the James Gallagher interview. Is Ariel always that poor? He didn't challenge anything James said, didn't ask any tough questions, he was asking questions and giving James the answer in the same sentence, was way, way, way too complimentary. I'm not saying he should have ripped him to shreds but that was a desperate interview.
    There was no hope Ariel would say anything remotely challenging making Gallagher uncomfortable and risk upsetting Conor. He wasn't going to jeopardize his access to Conor so you get his usual puff piece softball interview

“If you watch all of my fights, I just raise my hand and don’t celebrate much,” Bandejas said. “I couldn’t hold it in. I had eight weeks of this guy messaging me crap online, sending me videos of somebody shooting a guy named Ricky. He’s uploading guns and saying, 'I’m going to kill you.' All this corny stuff.”
    Quote from Ricky Bandejas. Having watched JG on Helwani, he said that anyone sneering at his loss is just a loser who doesn't have anything going for him....I think it's more that people typically like to see bully boys put in their place to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mellor wrote: »

Reminded me of Louis Smolka knocking out Richie Vas.
    Very similar alright, I guess Cung Le must have done it at some stage too

Edit: Found this one too

Has anyone done the Jim Ross commentary for Gallagher yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had eight weeks of this guy messaging me crap online, sending me videos of somebody shooting a guy named Ricky.

Probably just wasn't up to speed with Trailer Park Boys. The video wasn't that bad.

I see Coker wishing his 'business partner' Danis happy birthday.

https://twitter.com/ScottCoker/status/1032393206200131584

Business partner, LOL, what's that all about? I wonder if he's hoping to poach McGregor because being considered a partner or co-promotor is something Conor is very keen on.

• Advertisement

Business partner, LOL, what's that all about? I wonder if he's hoping to poach McGregor because being considered a partner or co-promotor is something Conor is very keen on.

He's trolling, and it's working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I wonder if he's hoping to poach McGregor because being considered a partner or co-promotor is something Conor is very keen on.

I think Conor is more concerned with money and wealth than just being considered a partner. I doubt he would do that well financially from Bellator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I seen it through a screenshot from Danis, I taught it was a Photoshop haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Pimblett may not be a great fighter but I'm 100% watching every time he fights. That has to be worth something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He looked in top shape at the weigh in. Best I've seen of him so far. He usually looks soft around the middle, caring unnecessary far, but he was solid today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

is this on bt tonight ? looking forward to the main event, should be a fantastic atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

10-8 for Pimblett but his arms surely must be weak now. He had to finish that, and now Bak might have the advantage even though he’s down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Very exciting first round alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How did he not finish it ffs, it was so deep. Both of them looking very slow and sloppy and Pimblett looked hurt a couple of times in the second.

• Advertisement

Good round there, he’s Bak in it (sorry :o).

19-18 Paddy

Great survival from Bak in round one. He definitely took round 2. Pimblets cardio usually drops from this stage on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Had to laugh at the commentators saying that pimblett was taking a break in that round.

Everything from Pimblett is powder-puff at the minute. He's done.

Paddy needs the last round to salvage a draw but there’s little to no chance of that happening. Bak well in control here.

Hang on here. Commentators saying that unless Pimblett won the first 10-8, it's all square going into the fifth.

Are they really trying to suggest he's won a round other than the first?!

Hang on here. Commentators saying that unless Pimblett won the first 10-8, it's all square going into the fifth.

Are they really trying to suggest he's won a round other than the first?!

Maybe Boylan has them in his pocket too.

Clear enough 48-46 for Bak I think.

Hahaha, they're at it again, suggesting he won the second. Embarrassing stuff. Bak could have a couple of 10-8s himself ffs.

• Advertisement

I think that’s the first 48-44 scorecard I’ve ever encountered in MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

After the Erosa decision he got before you can never rule him out when it goes the distance! I just don't think he's that good. He seems to think he could take ranked ufc guys but hard to imagine him lasting long against anyone numbered.

Yeah man stuff the commentator trying to suggest Pimblett may have won the 2nd.

The commentator as well 'my gut feeling tells me Bak won rounds 3,4 and 5'. Gut feeling? It was clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Who’s the miserable looking cow in the cage?

Fair play to the judges. One gave Bak three 10-8s, another one gave him two. Embarrassing stuff from the commentary team.

Pimblett was done after the first. Completely burnt himself out and was visibly gassed. He's a tough bastard though, never stopped trying.

From the moment Bak escaped the RNC he was superior in every facet of the thing.

Graham Boylan looks disgusted here!

• Advertisement

I think Bak is an unranked UFC calibre fighter and Paddy isn’t, to be fair. The first round won’t change my mind.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I think Bak is an unranked UFC calibre fighter and Paddy isn’t, to be fair. The first round won’t change my mind.

Yeah I don't think Bak would bring anything worthwhile to the UFC. Heart maybe but not much more.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    martyos121 wrote: »

Yeah I don't think Bak would bring anything worthwhile to the UFC. Heart maybe but not much more.

Completely agree. Realistically, who of note would he trouble? Pimblett should make what he can from the scene and start preparing for life after fighting because he's simply not good enough to go the UFC and succeed.

Whelo79 wrote: »

He’d fill a spot on the undercard of a Fight Night and be fairly competitive, make some money and come out with a 50/50 record IMO. His grappling isn’t bad in fairness based on what I’ve seen from rounds 2-5.

Paddy is clearly a couple of levels below that again. All he has is a chin and alright BJJ, which looks better than it is given the calibre of opponents he’s fought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

My recording cut off bang on 11, half way through round 2. Bah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement