Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pike fishing in summer.

• 10-04-2015 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Well lads,
    I know you can fish all year round for pike.. iv done as much research as I could find on the Internet but theres not much info I found out about gassed up pike from the hot weather but iv learned how to unhook and handle pike with care since the winter and not to put a fish back until fully recovered wich is common sense I thought but summer pike are supposed to take longer to recover. that they swallow deadbaits alot faster in warm weather but I have alarms and indicators so would this help prevent deep hooking along with an instant strike. I know It would be easier spinning but I like to chill out while fishing so deadbaiting would be preferable.. I've got big into pike fishing and have dropped course fishing for the time being ha. would I be wasting my time and most likely catch loads of jacks? .. so any advice from people who deadbait for pike during the warmer months.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Not something I have noticed, (pike taking bait further / faster) in summer, but never really thought of till now so could well be a factor.

I find if im worried i crush a barb or 2 on a treble, and strike early enough, but still wait for a turn.

I have found however a strong snips is a very handy tool. if i find im having trouble unhooking i will cut the hook and extract the parts to prevent the fish being out of water for too long. And turning it inside out.

Hooks are cheap, better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

Great advice ardinn thanks man so basically still let them run for a few seconds. . And do you still catch decent pike or would you be plagued with jacks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

db97 wrote: »
    Great advice ardinn thanks man so basically still let them run for a few seconds. . And do you still catch decent pike or would you be plagued with jacks ?

I caught my biggest pike on a hot night in May.I didnt have a scales but id say it was 18lb plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Pike will definitely get it down them a lot quicker in the warmer months, I'd recommend even using a big single hook through the lip of a roach should do the job. And yes you can catch big pike during the summer, but weather will play a bigger factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Summer time is spinning time . Great crack on light gear with a Melos or copper spoon and jacks will hit it all day. But definitely bring a dead bait rod aswell mate.
    Also be prepared for snags as the summer time brings the weeds back but it also gives the pike more cover to ambush aswell. Have u ever considered fly fishing for pike? Summer time around reeds and weedbeds produces great crack on light fly tackle with possibility of good doubles aswell

• Advertisement

Sound lads thats good to hear and what I think ill get is the double bait holding hooks big single and a small hook for holding there dear but Id prefer to spend a few quid then do damage too a fish ill squash down the barbs on the big hook then..and my local stretch of river has public walkways up and down the banks and Iv been known too be a dodgy man with a flyrod haha so ill bring out me deadbait rod and iv a small 7ft spinning rod really light I use it for perch but a jack would be great sport on it.. aswell I find them copper spoons not great in my local river iv tried varying retrieves with not even a follow I find savage gears lures great would definetely reccomend them the soft And hard plastic ones they look great in the water. Thanks for the replys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

I am a fan of ultra - light fishing, but hot summer weather can mean over-stressed fish. Play them hard, and get them back in the water fast (even better, unhook them in the water). Give them plenty of time to recover in the net before releasing.

I use barbless hooks all the time now, yes I loose the odd fish but unhooking is so much faster and simpler.

Summer lure fishing (especially on the surface) is some of the best piking you'll get (IMO). So well worth throwing a lure while deadbaiting.

fiacha wrote:
    I am a fan of ultra - light fishing, but hot summer weather can mean over-stressed fish. Play them hard, and get them back in the water fast (even better, unhook them in the water). Give them plenty of time to recover in the net before releasing.

fiacha wrote:
    I use barbless hooks all the time now, yes I loose the odd fish but unhooking is so much faster and simpler.

fiacha wrote:
    Summer lure fishing (especially on the surface) is some of the best piking you'll get (IMO). So well worth throwing a lure while deadbaiting.

Yea I always give them plenty of time to recover have you used the double bait holding hooks ? I have been using semi barbed but wanto try them double hooks now instead.. when will they finish spawning ? Im going to pick up lures as I go along any suggestions with wich ones work best in certain weather..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I only have experience of fishing back in the west of ireland but im sure it transferrs to the almost lakeless Eastern region also!

I generally have caught much bigger fish deadbaiting. I catch more when using lures but they are mostly jack pikes from <1lb to about 6lb.

It maybe that they are young but it could also be the warmer weather, as the vast majority of those fish are in late summer.

Regarding the fish gulping the bait, i find that with deadbaiting you need to strike a bit earlier than you think, even if its a risk of losing the fish, in order to be sure it doesnt swallow the deadbait completely and you end up killing the fish trying to dislodge it.
    I use trebble hooks, but i think this year i will move to larger single hooks. could mean less fish but also means less damage or stress on the fish.

If your lure fishing, the attack is almost always aggressive and you have little control over how hooked the fish is, sometimes its gulped way down, sometimes they are barely hooked.

On the question of if you will catch more jacks or decent fish, it depends on a lot of things but if they are in the water, you will always catch more jacks. bigger fish are warier, and in larger waters, they are generally deeper and not as easy to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Pike really prefer colder water, so they are more active in the winter. In the summer they will not move around as much, so static dead baiting will be a lot slower. Also, weed growth will be at its peak during the summer months, and unless your dead bait is in the correct place, it could be in the middle of a weed bed!
    I don't do much pike fishing in the summer months, and I don't dead bait at all when I do, its mainly spinning.

In most instances, I find lure fishing better than dead baiting. Lure fishing is a lot more complicated than dead baiting, with a lot more variables, and expense involved. Also, you can only fish one rod at a time! so discovering what the fish are taking can take longer.

Looking over my logs there for the last 12 months, I have had twice as many doubles on lures than dead baits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I've done most of my Pike fishing with lures/trolling and I do far less winter Piking than I would like but I have experienced a few deep hookings on Pike taking dead baits in both winter and summer. They are a delicate fish and nobody wants to see one dead so I would say regardless of what method you use, backing up one of the above posts, always have a snips/wire cutter with you.

I caught my biggest Pike last year and had I not had the cutter with me it could have gone from one of my best days fishing to worst, even with mostly debarbed hooks he was snagged awkwardly and snipping the points off the hooks made it a breeze, trebles are cheap enough if it means one of these specimens goes back in the water alive.

Sound for the replys lads abd yea I have a wire snips as I make my own steel traces so I always have one handy.. I would like to get into lure fishing but am fairly clueless to what lures work best the river I fish is fairly overfished and the fish wont touch mackerel or roach I am convinced they have wised up to them as I haven got one run on either and also the copper spoons everyone says there great I havent got a single take and as for the weeds building up im going to by pop ups to keep it off the bottom any suggestions on some lures that have worked well in the past for ye will be helpfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

ive been lure fishing a few years and im still pretty oblivious to what works! Best to have a few types of lure with you and try a few to see what works.

I try to bring a few:

-surface floaters. Not always successful but i just love them as the attacks are fantastic, like extreeme float fishing!
    -floating plugs that sink on retrieval. these can be used to control the depth you go to.
    -sinking plugs. can be a bit better for the "jerky" retrieval.
    -jellies - never caught anything on them yet but i still try. good for weeds as they are less likely to get hooked.
    -surface frogs - got one the other day, still to be tested.
    -spinners & Spoons. one or two of each.

Conditions will help narrow your choice. e.g. super muddy water you will want something that makes a lot of vibration or something that is very bright. Fast flowing will require something a little heavier like a spoon. weeds will require a floater or jelly.

And remember, a day out fishing where you catch nothing is still a day out fishing!

Thanks fret wimp I will start collecting them so bit by bit. . From what I hear hard plastics seem too work well the ones that sink on retrieve.. and id say the surface lures are unreal when you get a take.

I have used surface frogs and frog flies an mainly it's jacks that will take em. Lost a monster of a rainbow on the frog fly up in maynooth years ago so trout will take em aswell.
    Bulldog lures are probably the best out there but you need a heavy rod for em aswell and they're usually decent fish caught on em.
    Spinners I'd use a Mepps or copper spoon.
    You can also use a roach or small perch for a lure aswell.
    Use sink and draw method

I have used surface frogs and frog flies an mainly it's jacks that will take em. Lost a monster of a rainbow on the frog fly up in maynooth years ago so trout will take em aswell. Bulldog lures are probably the best out there but you need a heavy rod for em aswell and they're usually decent fish caught on em. Spinners I'd use a Mepps or copper spoon. You can also use a roach or small perch for a lure aswell. Use sink and draw method

How much would them bulldog lures be iv seen then before there mad looking yokes ha but if they work ill try one and yea I have been wobblin dead baits with mixed results mostly jacks.

How much would them bulldog lures be iv seen then before there mad looking yokes ha but if they work ill try one and yea I have been wobblin dead baits with mixed results mostly jacks.

Put it this way you don't wanna lose a bulldog. Anywhere between 12 -30 quid for a lure depending on the size.
    They're expensive but they work.
    I've caught pike on them lidl and aldi lures aswell bud

Put it this way you don't wanna lose a bulldog. Anywhere between 12 -30 quid for a lure depending on the size. They're expensive but they work. I've caught pike on them lidl and aldi lures aswell bud

Nice one man ill pick up a few of them and the aldi down here has nothing in yet, do you know when the pike finish spawning ?

Nice one man ill pick up a few of them and the aldi down here has nothing in yet, do you know when the pike finish spawning ?

Should be finished by now man.
    February is the norm to start but I hae seen groups of makes surrounding a female in end of April. Depends on temperature and water level etc I suppose

Should be finished by now man. February is the norm to start but I hae seen groups of makes surrounding a female in end of April. Depends on temperature and water level etc I suppose

Nice one dodderangler sound man are you doin a bit this weekend ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Db did you have any luck with those laKes in cavan

Nice one dodderangler sound man are you doin a bit this weekend ?

Na man. I won't be doing a lot this year with new baby on the way and working every bit of overtime and doing some bunny bashing il be busy but il be doing some fishing hopefully in next 4 weeks with my daughter. She's only five and landed more pike than I did last year :)

Db did you have any luck with those laKes in cavan

R p mcmurphy I caught loads of jacks literally the size of the dead baits ha I was up there at a bad time man missed a low double in the woodford river in ballyconnell he followed it right to the bank I pulled it out of its mouth ha .

Na man. I won't be doing a lot this year with new baby on the way and working every bit of overtime and doing some bunny bashing il be busy but il be doing some fishing hopefully in next 4 weeks with my daughter. She's only five and landed more pike than I did last year

Congratulations man ha you'll be kept busy so haha ah your losing your touch dodderangler ;) haha did ya get any big ones last year ?

Congratulations man ha you'll be kept busy so haha ah your losing your touch dodderangler ;) haha did ya get any big ones last year ?

Biggest was prob around 8lb mark. All caught on minnows or spinners. Seen some nice doubles and lost a nice one which is have put at about 15lb mark but sure can never tell until they are banked. Again that was on a minnow.
    Wouldn't say I'm losing my touch but more so passing on my knowledge :)
    I do however have a brand new dead bait rod so il have to give that a lash soon

Biggest was prob around 8lb mark. All caught on minnows or spinners. Seen some nice doubles and lost a nice one which is have put at about 15lb mark but sure can never tell until they are banked. Again that was on a minnow. Wouldn't say I'm losing my touch but more so passing on my knowledge I do however have a brand new dead bait rod so il have to give that a lash soon

Not bad man id be happy with an 8lber now been getting nothing but jacks some of them id be wondering how they even managed to take the dead bait.. I never knew they would take minnow no worse feeling then losing a decent fish at the bank ha sickening I got my pb 15lbs ah man the scrap off this thing I was shaking like a leaf after it haha don't know what ill do if I hook a 20 ha

Not bad man id be happy with an 8lber now been getting nothing but jacks some of them id be wondering how they even managed to take the dead bait.. I never knew they would take minnow no worse feeling then losing a decent fish at the bank ha sickening I got my pb 15lbs ah man the scrap off this thing I was shaking like a leaf after it haha don't know what ill do if I hook a 20 ha

Pike are opportunists so a injured fish whether a trout or a minnow they'll take it.
    A lad I fish with from time to time caught and landed a 30lb+ pike up in valley mount, blessington a good few years back and was caught on a Mepps 1 which is a trout spinner. No wire trace or nothing.
    Shows you if a pike sees easy food it'll take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

just a tip on buying lures, you don't need to buy the biggest lure in the shop! Take the bulldog or real eel for example, great lures, but also big price tag! The action on the smaller versions is the exact same as the larger ones, and its the action that attracts the pike. The big ones are great for trolling in deep water, but I much prefer the smaller ones if I'm casting all day! I have lost 2 reel ells and one bulldog in the last few months..... not a lure you want to lose every day! Also, you need a pig of a rod to cast them and distance.

I used to use spoons and spinners a lot when I was younger, and I caught a lot of fish on them, however I hardly ever use them any more. They are cheap as chips though, and you will catch on them. The only spoon I have my box now is the abu garcia atom!

Lure fishing is an art form, and there is a lot more to learn than dead baiting, however, a lure caught double is better than 5 behind alarms! My pb pike took the lure around 20 feet from me, I seen the take as well, heart stopping stuff to put it mildly!

Pike are opportunists so a injured fish whether a trout or a minnow they'll take it. A lad I fish with from time to time caught and landed a 30lb+ pike up in valley mount, blessington a good few years back and was caught on a Mepps 1 which is a trout spinner. No wire trace or nothing. Shows you if a pike sees easy food it'll take it

Jesus man he was lucky to get it in no trace or anything ha and there aggressive fish alright havent fished blessington in years last time I was there there was two fellas feeder fishhing they caught loads of roach into the owl black bag they went was only young at the time and they were fairly dodgy looking so that turned me off blessington hows it nowadays?
    just a tip on buying lures, you don't need to buy the biggest lure in the shop! Take the bulldog or real eel for example, great lures, but also big price tag! The action on the smaller versions is the exact same as the larger ones, and its the action that attracts the pike. The big ones are great for trolling in deep water, but I much prefer the smaller ones if I'm casting all day! I have lost 2 reel ells and one bulldog in the last few months..... not a lure you want to lose every day! Also, you need a pig of a rod to cast them and distance.

Lure fishing is an art form, and there is a lot more to learn than dead baiting, however, a lure caught double is better than 5 behind alarms! My pb pike took the lure around 20 feet from me, I seen the take as well, heart stopping stuff to put it mildly!

I used to use spoons and spinners a lot when I was younger, and I caught a lot of fish on them, however I hardly ever use them any more. They are cheap as chips though, and you will catch on them. The only spoon I have my box now is the abu garcia

Thanks twin beacon and I think the size of some of the lures nowadays are huge man and mad looking yokes
    Haha I was going to pick up some of the savage gear jointed lures the hard plastic ones because I got a soft plastic one great action but one jack made bits of it so for the money I spent id say ill go for hard plastics from now on get your moneys worth like id say when you get a big pike on a lure thers no better feeling I like spiners but I fish the shannon its very wide and spinners can be light hard to get any distance.. I was thinking if a river is overfished all day most days could the pike possibly wise up and feed alot later and into the night ?? Because I noticed I get alot more runs before dark

Havint fished it in ages but I do fish the river that runs from it. Manor Kilbride is a one of my favourite spots but during the summer it's lethal for the horsefly bites.
    Things attack with knives and forks :)

• Advertisement

Havint fished it in ages but I do fish the river that runs from it. Manor Kilbride is a one of my favourite spots but during the summer it's lethal for the horsefly bites. Things attack with knives and forks

What ju fish it for trout is it? never fished it myself ah man them horseflies are some dose I think the midges are worse thou they eat ya alive man ha

Advertisement