Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pike fishing in summer.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

db97 wrote: »
    What ju fish it for trout is it? never fished it myself ah man them horseflies are some dose I think the midges are worse thou they eat ya alive man ha

Midges are rough but ya don't reveal feel them eating you. The horseflies have a fierce oul bite on em.
    Yeah I fish it for the trout but there is plenty of nice perch and pike aswell if you know where to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Thanks twin beacon and I think the size of some of the lures nowadays are huge man and mad looking yokes
    Haha I was going to pick up some of the savage gear jointed lures the hard plastic ones because I got a soft plastic one great action but one jack made bits of it so for the money I spent id say ill go for hard plastics from now on get your moneys worth like id say when you get a big pike on a lure thers no better feeling I like spiners but I fish the shannon its very wide and spinners can be light hard to get any distance.. I was thinking if a river is overfished all day most days could the pike possibly wise up and feed alot later and into the night ?? Because I noticed I get alot more runs before dark

savage gear have great lures, abu garcia and rapala have great lures too.
    fishing in general will be better before in late evening, and early morning, the coarse fish tend to be more active then. I personally don't think pike wise up much, but then again, I dont fish pressured waters. A pike doesn't need to feed every day, and they can be active at different times of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I personally don't think pike wise up much, but then again, I dont fish pressured waters..

I wouldnt underestimate how smart they are. Watch the youtube vids for UnderWater Ireland. This one in particular(fast forward to 2:00) . Notice how long the pike takes to examine the bait. this may be an exception but it shows they are more suspicious and smarter than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaTliY5je4E

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

savage gear have great lures, abu garcia and rapala have great lures too. fishing in general will be better before in late evening, and early morning, the coarse fish tend to be more active then. I personally don't think pike wise up much, but then again, I dont fish pressured waters. A pike doesn't need to feed every day, and they can be active at different times of the day.

This water is really overfished theres loads of pike in there theres a few 30s caught every year. from people fishing with mackeral and roach so much the pike wont touch them never got a run on roach or mackeral but I could have a pollan or dace or lamprey and ill always get runs.. so im convinced they have wised up to certain things and also I don't have a link but I watched mick browns river pike show on youtube was interesting and he basically said the same thing thats iv been thinking for ages that pike can get wary of certain baits . So the way im thinking now is if the pike are been fished for exessively day in day out would you not think the big female pike who are around ages and have seen every sort of bait thrown in there face would it not make sense that the pike will be more confident in feeding in the dark when things have quitened down I don't know I could be wrong but thats me theory anyway haha

fret_wimp2 wrote:
    I wouldnt underestimate how smart they are. Watch the youtube vids for UnderWater Ireland. This one in particular(fast forward to 2:00) . Notice how long the pike takes to examine the bait. this may be an exception but it shows they are more suspicious and smarter than I expected.

I agree man I seen that one before yea I was surprised aswell they are definitely not stupid like especially on pressured venues.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaTliY5je4E

I love the underwater Ireland videos, I could spend hours watching them. Thats one of my favourites, there is another one very similar where a pike is chasing a lure for ages. The pike could be weary of the bait, or he could be that the dead roach, is acting like no other coarse fish in the area, and the pike is checking it out. This happens more than you would wish to imagine when your spinning or dead baiting, where a pike has a look, but then goes away! turning those follows into hits is easier than you think, don't have any rhythm in your retrieve, keep it random with lots of stops and starts. I'm a much better lure angler than I was a year ago, but I'm still a novice. So much to learn!

• Advertisement

I love the underwater Ireland videos, I could spend hours watching them. Thats one of my favourites, there is another one very similar where a pike is chasing a lure for ages. The pike could be weary of the bait, or he could be that the dead roach, is acting like no other coarse fish in the area, and the pike is checking it out. This happens more than you would wish to imagine when your spinning or dead baiting, where a pike has a look, but then goes away! turning those follows into hits is easier than you think, don't have any rhythm in your retrieve, keep it random with lots of stops and starts. I'm a much better lure angler than I was a year ago, but I'm still a novice. So much to learn!

True twin beacon and good advice for spinning thanks. Have you ever fished nights I'm curious to know has anyone any experience with it and I know people will say there is a danger of deep hooking but if you leave your rods unattended during the day youll get deeped hooked pike too so I suppose if your not careless and use proper bite indication and strike early there shouldnt be any problems with deep hooking I would definetely bring a good head lamp for unhooking.. and pike hunt with there scent of smell as well as sight so I cant see why it wont work.

True twin beacon and good advice for spinning thanks. Have you ever fished nights I'm curious to know has anyone any experience with it and I know people will say there is a danger of deep hooking but if you leave your rods unattended during the day youll get deeped hooked pike too so I suppose if your not careless and use proper bite indication and strike early there shouldnt be any problems with deep hooking I would definetely bring a good head lamp for unhooking.. and pike hunt with there scent of smell as well as sight so I cant see why it wont work.

I don't believe pike "hunt" at night, so they wont be that active, unless you can put a lure on their nose you might not catch. Early morning, the first 3 hours after dawn is my favourite time. I love night fishing in the summer, mainly for tench. you hear foxes and badgers moving about :)

They're not as active at night but they do move about and their sense of smell is incredible so they can detect movement and smell a injured or dead fish so fishing at night can help a lot if you use mackerel or any oily type fish

They're not as active at night but they do move about and their sense of smell is incredible so they can detect movement and smell a injured or dead fish so fishing at night can help a lot if you use mackerel or any oily type fish

Nice one man id say ill use lamprey and sardines I think they cruise up and down the margins at night so ill just cast on the edge of reedbeds

Nice one man id say ill use lamprey and sardines I think they cruise up and down the margins at night so ill just cast on the edge of reedbeds

Doesn't have to be a far cast either
    I've caught pike within a few feet of the bank

• Advertisement

Doesn't have to be a far cast either I've caught pike within a few feet of the bank

Yea man thats what I'll do I have a spot sussed out 3 metres out from the bank theres a drop off.. my younger brother is coming down for two days and hasnt caught a pike yet so hopefully my plan works out haha.

personally, I don't think you will do well with static dead baits at night, not saying you wont catch though. If it was me, Id camp out and get some sleep, then get up an hour before dawn, and cast in. fish until mid day.
    As you know, pike use their sight, smell and lateral line to hunt. During the day they can use all 3, however, at night their sight is nearly as effective. My thoughts would be, as a result of this, they are not going to spend the night hungry, so they will have enough food to get them through the night at least, possibly even longer, as they don't need to feed every day. If their stomach is full, they are not going to be looking for food, and will probably just lie motionless for the night. Unless you drop a dead bait within a few feet of one, I doubt you will catch too much.
    Just my 2 cents, I have never pike fished at night. I don't like the idea of camping in winter, and all my summer night sessions are for either tench or carp! If you do a night session, let us know how you get on :)

Advertisement