Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trips says no to Kurt, correct decision?

• 11-04-2015 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭

This story online a few days, but don't think it has been discussed here.

I dunno, I can see where Trips is coming from, got so many guys ready to go in NXT, but I still would have marked for his entrance music in the rumble one more time.:P
    Instead of wrestling every Friday night on Destination America, the 46-year-old Angle’s original plan was to finish up his TNA contract last September and re-sign with the WWE to finish out his career.

“I haven’t spoke openly about this,” said Angle, “but I opened up my options and was going to decide between TNA and WWE. I wasn’t going to leave TNA unless WWE was offering a fair deal.”

​Angle, who lost his father when he was only 16 years old, developed a close friendship with Vince McMahon during his eight year run with WWE from 1998-2006. Yet, when Angle called McMahon, he was informed that a different man now runs the day-to-day operations.

“Paul [Levesque] is in charge,” said Angle. “I found that out when I contacted Vince. I’ve always had a good relationship with Paul, so I didn’t consider that a problem. But he decided they had enough talent.

“For the Vince McMahon who I knew, enough was never enough. He always wanted more. I don’t know what was going on over there, but they even canceled our meeting. I never went to see them. They didn’t even sit me down and talk to me.”

The experience was extremely humbling for Angle.

“It blew my mind,” he said. “It was as if I was a nobody, that I wasn’t Kurt Angle. From a wrestling standpoint, they just weren’t interested. But TNA not only stepped up, they gave me everything I wanted – the dates, the money, and it’s no secret that I’ve went to rehab in the past, and they gave me time off. You talk about a company that’s loyal to you, and you want to be loyal back. So I didn’t pursue the WWE any further. When it comes down to it, you’ve got to stick with the people who want to take care of you. And [TNA president] Dixie Carter took care of me.

“But I’m going to be straight with you,” said Angle. “The WWE would have made more money this year if they would have signed me. That’s no secret.”

As much as Angle enjoys wrestling against the talent pool in TNA, he envisioned many opportunities had he made the move to WWE.

“The best match of the year would have been between myself and Daniel Bryan,” said Angle. “Rusev would have made sense, and Brock and I could have went at it again. There were just so many places to go. I don’t know if they just thought I was too old, but obviously they’re not watching our product. Triple H is the same age as me. It was hard, but at the end of the day, I’m really happy.

“Will I ever go back? I really don’t care. I’m happy to be here in TNA.”
    http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/04/08/kurt-angle-wwe-tna-brock-lesnar?page=2&devicetype=default

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I could see the value in a final one year run in WWE for Kurt. Matches with Rusev, Bryan and Brock. Of course the obvious problems are whether he'd pass their medical, and whether WWE are willing to take on the potential liability of having Kurt on their roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kurt is one of my favourite wrestlers of all time. I find it sad that there is not a better relationship between the two parties.

I can see the issue from both sides. The WWE are extremely scared for his health and they don't want an Olympic gold medallist suffering serious injury or worse while on their books, while from Kurt's point of view this is what he loves to do and he knows Father Time is against him so he wants to get as many years as possible out of his body.

I personally don't think Kurt will ever wrestle in WWE again. I do think he will return in some capacity though and I think this could be great for both sides. When you think about it Kurt could be fantastic in an ambassadorial role similar to the one Hogan has. His Olympic success makes him an American icon and his mic skills and overall presence would make him a compelling character on WWE television. He has been a GM before and he could do this role again. I think an Angle vs The Authority storyline for example would be fantastic and that would actually revive my flagging interest in HHH and Stephanie.

Ultimately I hope he rejoins the WWE because that's where I feel Angle truly belongs and I hope to see him headline a Hall of Fame ceremony soon. I just hope he knows when it's time to hang up the boots because I want to see him standing at that podium in fine health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

HHH is right not to have Kurt anywhere near his company. He's a walking liability. He has relapsed a number of times, he has done obscene damage to his body and he shouldn't be anywhere near an ambassadorial role.

Don't get me wrong I loved Kurt Angle but he is a mess now. It wouldnt surprise me to never see him get any kind of contract from WWE until he is long retired and the idea of one last run is long dead. Because of the network DVD deals are no longer that important and its not like his fans cant revisit his work anyway.

The sooner he retires from TNA the better. But sadly I get the feeling hes gonna be a Dynamite type character and end up in a wheelchair bitter and angry because he didnt know when to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have no problem with the WWE not hiring Kurt Angle for whatever reason they want.

His body must be in bit's now he has a his of addiction issues and stints in rehab paid for by the WWE.

I wonder if he went too DDP's crib for a couple of months before looking to rejoin would the WWE change there mind about doing business with him?

Look they let Scott Hall take an ugly back drop on the outside of the ring at the biggest show of them all and this is a guy who shouldn't anywhere near a wrestling ring let alone taking any kind of bump because of his history over the last few years.

The WWE is as much a political game and Kurt just can't play politics.

I also wouldn't believe anything Kurt Angle say with his history of stretching the truth.

Kurt Angle on a WWE Legends contract and working as a trainer at NXT would a dream job for him to have and I think most fans would like to see that happen.

Will it happen probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think they were right not to rehire kurt. His health is an issue and if something was to happen to him due to his health in the ring on raw or a ppv the negative impact that would have isn't worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought this tweet was referring to the picture above at first :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Nostalgia says do it, bring him back. Can see why he has said no but there is potential for some great TV with Rusev to be had

Really dug the two Angle-Lashley matches in recent weeks don't get me wrong but Angle is showing signs of real physical struggle:

https://twitter.com/tapemachines/status/587363677059198976

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I was watching Angle matches from 2010 the other day and he really is noticeably slower these days. He can hide it a lot of the time but anything that requires some quick movement (like say his top rope Angle Slam) just isn't there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

If Scott Hall can pass a medical to do one spot at Wrestlemania a backdrop outside the ring in which he nearly killed himself I don't see why Angle can't come back for one last run, it's very shallow on the WWE's part he deserves a Hall of Fame spot he's one of the best wrestlers WWE ever had

Its not shallow its business! If Kurt Angle dies while a TNA employee the general public reaction would be "who? a wrestler ah well they're all on steroids!" If Kurt Angle dies while anyway employed by WWE its a major news story and a huge scandal. Its a totally unnecessary risk that they dont need to take.

And yes Scott Hall and Hulk Hogan both took bumps at WM, firstly probably cos WWE didnt tell anyone in advance that they would so they wouldnt need to pass a medical. Secondly comparing Scott Hall taking ONE yes ONE bump to Kurt Angle having another run is just ridiculous in the exteme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I thought this tweet was referring to the picture above at first :pac:
    Yeah I just thought it was interesting that he was talking about Chris Benoit on Twitter. I know he says he doesn't care if he doesn't ever return to WWE, but that surely is one definite way of not being welcome back, I would have thought. Anyway, the 2 of them could really create magic when in there together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd love to see Kurt back. But, not at the expense of him ending up in a wheelchair or, God forbid, worse.

I think it's the right move by the WWE, and I reckon HHH told him no, in the manner he did, to let him down easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

WWE doesn't want Kurt Angle because they don't want Kurt Angle dying on their books, which is understandable, but what's f*cked is that they don't want wrestlers dying on their books because it might very well force them to clean up the business practices that contribute to wrestlers' deaths in the first place. Nothing much to do with any compassion for a given individual.

briany wrote: »
    WWE doesn't want Kurt Angle because they don't want Kurt Angle dying on their books, which is understandable, but what's f*cked is that they don't want wrestlers dying on their books because it might very well force them to clean up the business practices that contribute to wrestlers' deaths in the first place. Nothing much to do with any compassion for a given individual.

In fairness they have cleaned things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

briany wrote: »

Part of the reason WWE got rid of Kurt in the first place was because he wasn't complying with the cleaned up practices. i.e. The wellness policy and taking appropriate time out to properly heal up from injury. Reading between the lines, it looks like Trips and the rest of the WWE brass don't believe that Kurt has reformed sufficiently in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,293 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would love to see Kurt back in WWE but his health and well being is more important maybe it is time he hung up his boots

Surely he is a future HOF for WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Really I'm confused that it appears they signed Samoa Joe who has been woeful since like what 2009? and passed on Styles. I know the latter may have passed on starting in developmental but that is more confusing than Angle, who probably still offers more than a Sting or even Taker now

• Advertisement

In the ring maybe he does but Sting or Taker aren't gonna get done for a DUI or stalk an ex gf or give embarrassing mainstream interviews or you know die in the ring, all of which is possible with Kurt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah I just thought it was interesting that he was talking about Chris Benoit on Twitter. I know he says he doesn't care if he doesn't ever return to WWE, but that surely is one definite way of not being welcome back, I would have thought. Anyway, the 2 of them could really create magic when in there together.

Yeah they were two of my favourite wrestlers for a long time when it came to matches,along with lesnar, eddie, world's greatest tag team.. I was a huge fan of that fast technical chain wrestling style. I enjoyed a lot of angle's tna work too

Advertisement