Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest water bottle for dogs on a long walk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Folds up nice. Woodies and tesco use to do them.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Travel-Water-Bottle-Bowl/dp/B004WFCG6U

7TjH5G.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

ken wrote: »
    Folds up nice. Woodies and tesco use to do them.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Travel-Water-Bottle-Bowl/dp/B004WFCG6U

7TjH5G.jpg

Saw these in the 2 euro shop also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

If you get two identical plastic bottles, cut one in half from top to bottom, you can wrap one around the other using the whole bottle as the water carrier and a half as the bowl.

Like this:
    walking-the-dog.jpg

Free too!

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by the Ken's fancier contraption!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

So simple and inexpensive Paul. What a good idea. The biggest I could get was a litre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

ken wrote: »
    So simple and inexpensive Paul. What a good idea. The biggest I could get was a litre.

You have to take into equation water for yourself also, you would also need 2 litres. Carrying around 3 litres of water is enough for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I just use a normal water bottle and a fold up fabric travel bowl. No messing with extra bottles for the dogs and the bowl takes up no space in my bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've got a plastic fold-up bowl I keep in the glove box, in case we forget HH's water bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    I just use a normal water bottle and a fold up fabric travel bowl. No messing with extra bottles for the dogs and the bowl takes up no space in my bag.

Exactly what I was going to suggest, take a large bottle of water for you and the dog, and a fold up fabric bowl in your pocket. I use old mineral bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I suppose I am really looking for something easy to carry.

I have 2 of those above - they are great in many ways. Easy for a few small dogs to drink out of at the same time. I leave one in the car when we come back and I take the other with me. It can clip onto my belt but its awkward so I end up carrying it. Also with the dogs off-lead, I have the leads in one hand and the water bottle in the other.

Some of our walks are long over all sorts of ground. They are more hikes so carrying a bottle is a pain. Also if I have to quickly get the dogs back on their leads having a free hand would help. The link in my OP for the water bottle and sling from Amazon is expensive but it seems very handy. I haven't found anything similar yet.

EDIT: a rucksack doesn't really suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

odckdo wrote: »
    Just wondering could anyone suggest a large water bottle for long walks with the dogs - something easy to carry and some sort of attachment for pouring the water in to.

The only one I can find so far is this 'H2O4k9' one on Amazon - has a sling and the bottle top doubles as a bowl:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/H2O4K9-Water-Bottle-700-Silver/dp/B00K2YVVD4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TD1EYVXB9JRT29DRRGH

http://www.amazon.co.uk/H2O4K9-Neoprene-Water-Bottle-Carrier/dp/B00K2YW3K4/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_text_y

Cheers.

I just keep bottles like Evian in the boot when I leave the house I chuck some ice in to keep them cool.

If I am not driving to bring them off for walks I carry one of the smaller sport bottles of the same or 2. Keep em in my backpack with a dish for them to drink from its not that heavy and is cheap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

odckdo wrote: »
    I suppose I am really looking for something easy to carry.

I have 2 of those above - they are great in many ways. Easy for a few small dogs to drink out of at the same time. I leave one in the car when we come back and I take the other with me. It can clip onto my belt but its awkward so I end up carrying it. Also with the dogs off-lead, I have the leads in one hand and the water bottle in the other.

Some of our walks are long over all sorts of ground. They are more hikes so carrying a bottle is a pain. Also if I have to quickly get the dogs back on their leads having a free hand would help. The link in my OP for the water bottle and sling from Amazon is expensive but it seems very handy. I haven't found anything similar yet.

EDIT: a rucksack doesn't really suit.

Backpacks come in all shapes and sizes though so you should find one to suit easily enough? I put the leads, keys, phone in it to free up my hands. I also have a first aid kid and a multitool (for twigs or wire caught in fur etc) in the bottom of the bag for long walks. You could always get a running belt with bottle holders or even backpacks for the dogs to carry their own stuff and give them an extra workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Thanks for the tip about the rucksack.

I was thinking about the one I own which would be too cumbersome.

Managed to find a nice and compact sling bag. The bonus is I can carry extra things too. Got some collapsible bowls aswell.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I use a Camelback backpack, which has a built-in water bladder in it (holds a liter) so I can drink from it myself via the built-in tube/straw, and pour water into a collapsible fabric bowl for the dogs.
    It also has enough room to store a good few bits and pieces, and because it's designed for cyclists and runners, it's very ergonomic, compact and easy to wear :)
    The drawback? They're not cheap! But I've family members who've had theirs for donkey years and get serious use out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I have a doggie backpack for my big lad he carries two small sports bottles of water on hikes. My guys will drink straight from a sports bottle so it's very handy but I could fit a light fold up bowl in there too if needed. Backpack Handy if we walking local or going to local cafe - can pop my keys, purse, poop bags etc in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Using an old PEP bottle's fine, but I'd be worried about the sharp edges catching on the dog's mouth. Either a water bottle with a tray or a folding bowl is what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

The water bottle from €2 shop that another poster mentioned has a clip at the top to clip to your belt.

Advertisement