Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD and DLA

Options
  • 11-04-2015 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am on Social Security Disability and from my understanding if someone with SSD wanted to leave and relocate outside of the country, they could be able to take their Social Security Disability money out of the country, depending on the country. Ireland happens to be one of them that will accept SSD. I believe its called DLA (Disability Living Allowance) there.

I am not sure about how to continue to receive my disability while living in Ireland and how DLA would work for me and my husband who is also on SSD. And could we be able to get any extra or something like that.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: This appears to be a better fit for State Benefits. Moving to State Benefits LOCKED, so that mods may review it for appropriateness.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Are you moving to the rep of Ireland or northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Hi
    Your local SS office where you reside in the US would be the appropriate place for you to enquire about transferring your disability payments to N Ireland.
    As N Ireland is in a different jurisdiction to here in the Republic of Ireland then their SS system is totally different to ours and I can't help you there.
    Maybe somebody here will be familiar with the DHSS in N Ireland and can help.
    Likewise , in the case of your husband who is an American citizen, immigration laws are different in N Ireland than here so I can't help you but I do wish you yhe best of luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement