Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Callan's Kicks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not biting Francie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Callan was back on O'Rourke today, was excellent and I think we can say, only a few Leo defenders are upset. ;)
    If only we could make criticising "Dear Leader" a criminal offence ...

And why they're so worried about Leo is anyone's guess, since he's well able to handle himself, as he showed in the Dail yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

serfboard wrote: »
    If only we could make criticising "Dear Leader" a criminal offence ...

And why they're so worried about Leo is anyone's guess, since he's well able to handle himself, as he showed in the Dail yesterday.

The FG clan seem very sensitive to Callan, I have never seen any other party faithfuls lose their minds when he has a pop (as he does at them all) at their leaders.
    He must be hitting a 'bone'. :)

The FG clan seem very sensitive to Callan, I have never seen any other party faithfuls lose their minds when he has a pop (as he does at them all) at their leaders.
    He must be hitting a 'bone'. :)

Incorrect Francie, token tap at the Shinners never at any of the lads fond of the ‘windswept hills’ and the scent of the ‘heather clad heaths’.

Nobody losing their mind Francie, no matter how much you try to spin it.

You can keep it up as long as you like :D

Still the same.... Callan is a Shinner shill.

No doubt about thaaaaaat.

Incorrect Francie, token tap at the Shinners never at any of the lads fond of the ‘windswept hills’ and the scent of the ‘heather clad heaths’.

Nobody losing their mind Francie, no matter how much you try to spin it.

You can keep it up as long as you like :D

Still the same.... Callan is a Shinner shill.

No doubt about thaaaaaat.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone get upset about his portrayal of any other political figure but Varadkar.
    If there are threads where this happens, let us know.

He has a pop at Leo and suddenly the sound of undergarments twisting fills the air and Callan is a 'shinner shill'. :):)

That bates Bannagher, as they say.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone get upset about his portrayal of any other political figure but Varadkar.
    If there are threads where this happens, let us know.

He has a pop at Leo and suddenly the sound of undergarments twisting fills the air and Callan is a 'shinner shill'. :):)

That bates Bannagher, as they say.

So he’s not a Shinner shill then Francie?

Surely you can’t deny thaaaaat, a chara.

That’s the cats whiskers, as they say.

So he’s not a Shinner shill then Francie?

Surely you can’t deny thaaaaat, a chara.

That’s the cats whiskers, as they say.

Not that I noticed Brendi.

Any evidence of this at all Brendi?
    Seen him treating praise of Joe McHugh there, 'FG's best minister'. Does he only 'shill' part time?

Not that I noticed Brendi.

Any evidence of this at all Brendi?
    Seen him treating praise of Joe McHugh there, 'FG's best minister'. Does he only 'shill' part time?

Plenty of evidence, but of course you know very well where to get it.

And I know that you know, so forgive me if I don’t do the fake legwork.

Thanking youuuuu.

Plenty of evidence, but of course you know very well where to get it.

And I know that you know, so forgive me if I don’t do the fake legwork.

Thanking youuuuu.

Brendi...you need to stop talking in riddles.

I have no idea what you are referring to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Think you could do with a visit to specsavers Francie.....get those green tinted specs adjusted.

Lost all respect for Callan after his disgraceful behaviour towards the Taoiseach.

One trick pony....

Think you could do with a visit to specsavers Francie.....get those green tinted specs adjusted.

Lost all respect for Callan after his disgraceful behaviour towards the Taoiseach.

One trick pony....

:) Tis a bit like saying The Spitting Image team had it in for Thatcher, Nevin.

Like who would you expect to be the prime target of a 'political satirist'? The Taoiseach of the day or the janitor in the Dáil canteen?

who would you expect to be the prime target of a 'political satirist'? The Taoiseach of the day or the janitor in the Dáil canteen?
    Go after the powerless, Francie - that's the FG way.

Go after the powerless, Francie - that's the FG way.

Heh heh heh...love the way Callan and his coterie like to portray themselves as ‘powerless’ .

Called ‘coming the auld soldier’.

“Aaah Jemser, dere ya are, howya doooin”

“Aaaaah ya know struggling”:cool:

Nobody is taken in by that shïte,compadre.

Heh heh heh...love the way Callan and his coterie like to portray themselves as ‘powerless’ .

Called ‘coming the auld soldier’.

“Aaah Jemser, dere ya are, howya doooin”

“Aaaaah ya know struggling”:cool:

Nobody is taken in by that shïte,compadre.

I think he meant...Callan should go after the 'janitor' in his skits Brendi.

Far too anxious by the defence counsel there.

I think he meant...Callan should go after the 'janitor' in his skits Brendi.

Far too anxious by the defence counsel there.

I know exactly what he meant Proinsias.

Might be more equitable if he went after the printer ink lads and the phone mast lads, the folk who are the self professed “real govt”.

The tools who portray themselves as the voice of change, but cannot form or do not form a govt.

I do t see or hear him pillorying big Pearse, Callanan, that sweaty gimp from Kerry.

Prionsias, there’s folk watching and listening and they know what’s going on, a chara.

Know what it’s about, dude.

• Advertisement

I know exactly what he meant Proinsias.

Might be more equitable if he went after the printer ink lads and the phone mast lads, the folk who are the self professed “real govt”.

The tools who portray themselves as the voice of change, but cannot form or do not form a govt.

I do t see or hear him pillorying big Pearse, Callanan, that sweaty gimp from Kerry.

Prionsias, there’s folk watching and listening and they know what’s going on, a chara.

Know what it’s about, dude.

Never has a go at SF...eh Brendi?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC776bfpcfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ItRpAcfkYc

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3885986/oliver-callan-sinn-fein-mary-lou-mcdonald-banner-new-york/

Put that shovel down Brendi...for once and for all.

:D

Hah hah hah.. Gerry Adams...yesterdays man, Francie.

The fcuherking Sun..... three years old at least.

And it’s the Sun.......:D

Get up to date, dude.

:D

Hah hah hah.. Gerry Adams...yesterdays man, Francie.

The fcuherking Sun..... three years old at least.

And it’s the Sun.......:D

Get up to date, dude.

Aw Brendi...spit it out (whatever you are insinuating) or put the shovel down will ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WdPtvvkYOY

Aw Brendi...spit it out (whatever you are insinuating) or put the shovel down will ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WdPtvvkYOY

Francie!!!

Only one?

Hint....... try Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is Callan Kicks finished? The main issue with the show was that it was rarely funny and Callan does a poor job mimicking most people.

Always felt like a shoestring job written while Oliver was on his second bottle of wine.

• Advertisement

Is Callan Kicks finished? The main issue with the show was that it was rarely funny and Callan does a poor job mimicking most people.

Always felt like a shoestring job written while Oliver was on his second bottle of wine.

This season is finished

Francie!!!

Only one?

Hint....... try Twitter

FFS...spit it out and stop the riddles.

Callan does a poor job mimicking most people.
    Who do you think does a good job mimicking people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Who do you think does a good job mimicking people?
    There's at least two on here doing a sterling job mimicking a couple of FG shills for sure.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Callan is a SF shill? Jeez, what a ridiculous notion? Zero evidence in this programme.
    SF, Mary Lou, GerryA pilloried every week with some of Callan's sharpest barbs. But thanks for bringing to mind some very clever sketches.

But the irony ... accusing Callan of a targeted bias based on a blinkered devotation to one party. Ring any bells..?

PS Is a moderator ever going to try to sort out the Radio forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I don't read the sun but on one occasion i remember "Browsing" through it while waiting, and in Callan's column, he was slating the "Shinners". I remember saying to myself, 'He'll be kept with that "Paper"'. Haven't picked it up since so I don't know if he's still there.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I don't read the sun but on one occasion i remember "Browsing" through it while waiting, and in Callan's column, he was slating the "Shinners". I remember saying to myself, 'He'll be kept with that "Paper"'. Haven't picked it up since so I don't know if he's still there.

As Brendi is not going to squeal...does anyone else know what the ''see twitter' thing is about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

New series begins tonight, 6.30pm.

New series begins tonight, 6.30pm.

He has some amount of material to work with. :) Is Clare going to feature segments like O'Rourke used to do I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

He has some amount of material to work with. :) Is Clare going to feature segments like O'Rourke used to do I wonder.

yes she is, he is on now.

• Advertisement

Let’s see how this tool performs....

Straight on into Leo.. nothing new so far.

So far a hammer at Leo...

A kick at Trump

A burst at the Brits.

Ha ha there it goes, using MLMCD to have a further attack on the govt.

How can people not see through this stuff.

Ha ha there it goes, using MLMCD to have a further attack on the govt.

How can people not see through this stuff.

Do you understand satire Brendan? From the begining of time it has been stirising governments and politicians. Spitting Image for example...every single week was peopled by the same people.

Enjoy the giggle will ya...it isn't government changing stuff. Your boys are safe for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lahvlahn's Feic Orf Fryday :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Bit of a disappointing return for me; a bit light on content in general other than the stuff he has obviously done in the last couple days- I think he does his best work under pressure. He needs to retire (or improve) his BoJo! Brendan O'Connor has potential though. Teesh and Co-Teesh he has nailed.

Do you understand satire Brendan? From the begining of time it has been stirising governments and politicians. Spitting Image for example...every single week was peopled by the same people.

Enjoy the giggle will ya...it isn't government changing stuff. Your boys are safe for a while.

I understand it perfectly Mr B.

What I don’t understand is why people say Callan satarises the Shinners just as tough as he does the govt.

That’s my point Mr B..... nothing else.... and tonight’s episode was a perfect example.

Satire is satire Mr B. If you satarise one section your can’t suddenly use satire to support another section of the community, and call it satire

Can you get your head around that Mr B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“I’m Marty Morrissey, the original super-spreader!” :pac: :D

• Advertisement

I understand it perfectly Mr B.

What I don’t understand is why people say Callan satarises the Shinners just as tough as he does the govt.

That’s my point Mr B..... nothing else.... and tonight’s episode was a perfect example.

Satire is satire Mr B. If you satarise one section your can’t suddenly use satire to support another section of the community, and call it satire

Can you get your head around that Mr B.

The shinners aren't de government Brendi!

The 'government' is the prime target of satirists for time immemorial, you'd know that if you 'understand satire'. There is no onus for him to balance his targets. Senior hurling boyo...take it on the chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

That Marty Morrisey impression gives me the heebie-jeebies every time

BoJo ok, Taois and Co-Taois well done, as was Harris with the RSVP live interview

MaryLou and the Shinners pretty funny

Donald and Melania ok, Fauci I didnt think the voice was good (he's got polyps removed so they might wanna go and listen to his voice without them now perhaps)

Joe Duffy and his callers a winner as always for me

Paschal Donohoe, "the good news is in the past, and the bad news is in the present and the future" line got a chuckle from me

lucalux wrote: »
    That Marty Morrisey impression gives me the heebie-jeebies every time

BoJo ok, Taois and Co-Taois well done, as was Harris with the RSVP live interview

MaryLou and the Shinners pretty funny

Donald and Melania ok, Fauci I didnt think the voice was good (he's got polyps removed so they might wanna go and listen to his voice without them now perhaps)

Joe Duffy and his callers a winner as always for me

Paschal Donohoe, "the good news is in the past, and the bad news is in the present and the future" line got a chuckle from me

A fair assessment. An enjoyable half hour that can be hit or miss.

The shinners aren't de government Brendi!

The 'government' is the prime target of satirists for time immemorial, you'd know that if you 'understand satire'. There is no onus for him to balance his targets. Senior hurling boyo...take it on the chin.

No problem with that Mr B, but as you say “ There is no onus on him to balance his targets”.

As I see it the ‘Oireachtais’ is the prime target for satirists just as spitting image targeted both ruling party and opposition.e

The point I am trying to get into the thick skulls of folk is that he doesn’t balance his targets.

Some stults contributing here are trying to say he does.

That’s my point Mr B.........has the penny dropped yet, a chara.

I seem to have a much better understanding of satire than you do, if you don’t mind me saying.

No problem with that Mr B, but as you say “ There is no onus on him to balance his targets”.

As I see it the ‘Oireachtais’ is the prime target for satirists just as spitting image targeted both ruling party and opposition.e

The point I am trying to get into the thick skulls of folk is that he doesn’t balance his targets.

Some stults contributing here are trying to say he does.

That’s my point Mr B.........has the penny dropped yet, a chara.

I seem to have a much better understanding of satire than you do, if you don’t mind me saying.

He does satirise the opposition Brendi and very well too. Just because he doesn't do it to the level you require does not diminish that.

As I say..your boys are the prime target...senior hurley lad, objecting like you are just makes the satire all the more effective.
    Politicians learned long ago that to react huffily done more damage and backfired on them. You should learn that lesson too.

He does satirise the opposition Brendi and very well too. Just because he doesn't do it to the level you require does not diminish that.

As I say..your boys are the prime target...senior hurley lad, objecting like you are just makes the satire all the more effective.
    Politicians learned long ago that to react huffily done more damage and backfired on them. You should learn that lesson too.

That’s the point I was making Mr B, nothing more nothing less.

He uses the opposition to attack the government in psuedo satire.

And that’s ok, just admit it... fine

Speaking as you do of “lessons” the past tense of ‘do’ is ‘did’.

Just returning the favour, a chara.

• Advertisement

That’s the point I was making Mr B, nothing more nothing less.

He uses the opposition to attack the government in psuedo satire.

And that’s ok, just admit it... fine

Speaking as you do of “lessons” the past tense of ‘do’ is ‘did’.

Just returning the favour, a chara.

Thanks for that Brendi, I can take a tip.

'He uses the opposition to attack the government'???? Well knock me down with a feather! Think about that...who would be talking to the government in a dramatic satirical scenario? What would be more effective for realistic purposes?

Time to give over on this crusade Brendi. You are sounding hurt and offended and it's Callan wot did it. ;) Exactly what he is trying to do. Satire is alive, long live satire.

P.S. I know 'wot' is spelt wrong.

Thanks for that Brendi, I can take a tip.

'He uses the opposition to attack the government'???? Well knock me down with a feather! Think about that...who would be talking to the government in a dramatic satirical scenario? What would be more effective for realistic purposes?

Time to give over on this crusade Brendi. You are sounding hurt and offended and it's Callan wot did it. ;) Exactly what he is trying to do. Satire is alive, long live satire.

P.S. I know 'wot' is spelt wrong.

Just getting the facts right, Mr B, Callan is an SF shill, and there is no doubt about that.....

And no problem with that ...he’s entitled to his opinion.

Just stop fuuuherking denying it.

Just getting the facts right, Mr B, Callan is an SF shill, and there is no doubt about that.....

And no problem with that ...he’s entitled to his opinion.

Just stop fuuuherking denying it.

Oh my god...not only are they under your bed, in your head...they're in Raidió Teilifís Éireann!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As a neutral listener I would say Callan has a bias towards Labour/liberal socialism.

He goes after sf as much as fg ff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anyone confirm it’s callan on the aldi Halloween ad ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement