Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy lunch options in Dublin city centre.

Options
  • 11-04-2015 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

My diet is important to me, I am trying to eat as healthy as possible. Can you suggest me some cafes for lunch in the city centre, D2 area? I know Cornucopia and Blazing salads, but that's about it.

Would any of the cafes deliver lunch?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chopped on Baggot Street do deliveries.

www.chopped.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

M&S do a lot of healthy lunch options.

jimmii wrote: »

€10 for a sandwich?! Jesus, prices are getting crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I love going to the deli counter in Fallon and Byrne and taking it downstairs for a nice bottle of sparkling water.

Broccoli and tofu salad. Yum yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

fussyonion wrote: »

Their whole pricing structure is proper Celtic Tiger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Always an issue that the fatty slop is a much cheaper alternative to the healthy option.

Yeh its pretty crazy its a good bit better than a chicken roll though and they are normally pretty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

The Cracked Nut on Camden Street do great salads,soups and sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you are being charged 10 quid for a sandwich why not just bring your own in from home. Miles cheaper and you control what's in it.

• Advertisement

If you are being charged 10 quid for a sandwich why not just bring your own in from home. Miles cheaper and you control what's in it.

But then you would really never eat out at all. There aren't many places where its cheaper than making it at home. I guess you could just go to Whetherspoons the whole time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

jimmii wrote: »
    But then you would really never eat out at all. There aren't many places where its cheaper than making it at home. I guess you could just go to Whetherspoons the whole time!
    In fairness, the OP did ask if any of the cafes deliver, so there is no difference in having it delivered & self-delivery (apart from price).

In fairness, the OP did ask if any of the cafes deliver, so there is no difference in having it delivered & self-delivery (apart from price).

True I guess it depends on what is more important how easy it is to get hold of or how healthy it is. I tend to fall in to the trap of how easy it is to get hold of! I hate that there is a Centra across the road from me too easy to get a chicken roll!

It's a real shame healthy "fast food" is so expensive.

It's no wonder people go to McDonald's when a burger is €1. Personally, I would prefer a salad bowl or a healthy wrap but some places are charging extortionate amounts for a bit of lettuce and tomato.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Super Value do a limited range of salads for around €3. Not convinced about how healthy they are though as they are mayo heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DLady

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Most of the time I would prepare my own lunch to take with me, but sometimes I wouldn't have time for it and if I get really busy in the office, it would be handy to get it delivered.

I wonder are the prices so high because the food is labelled 'healthy' or the prices are genuine and because of the cost of higher quality ingredients?

DLady wrote: »

Most of the time I would prepare my own lunch to take with me, but sometimes I wouldn't have time for it and if I get really busy in the office, it would be handy to get it delivered.

I wonder are the prices so high because the food is labelled 'healthy' or the prices are genuine and because of the cost of higher quality ingredients?

I don't know, but considering I can buy lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onions and other salady bits for well under a fiver, it really is unbelievable how some places can get away with charging a tenner for a sandwich.

And I know establishments have to make money when you consider seating/lighting/electricity, etc, but still....€10 for two slices of bread and bit of ham and rocket? Robbery.

It would also be because the volume is a lot lower than random deli places they have to have much bigger margins to cover the overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hi all,

My diet is important to me, I am trying to eat as healthy as possible. Can you suggest me some cafes for lunch in the city centre, D2 area? I know Cornucopia and Blazing salads, but that's about it.

Would any of the cafes deliver lunch?

Thank you in advance

There's KC Peaches all over the place in D2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Haven't been in yet but Cocu is a new healthy eating place on Baggot Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Two more lunchtime options: Honest to Goodness, Dame Lane and CoCu which is new to Baggot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

karenalot wrote: »
    Haven't been in yet but Cocu is a new healthy eating place on Baggot Street.
    Didn't see your post until I posted so snap on CoCu! I also haven't tried it yet but menu looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I get stuff from Chopped delivered a few days a week, to D1 but as they're actually in D2 I'd be pretty certain they deliver there too. The salads are if anything too bloody big, probably to justify the price as otherwise people would probably complain of "6.95 for a lot of leaves..."

Also tried Honest to Goodness once and they got my order marginally wrong but wrong enough to piss me off so haven't done it again.

Advertisement