Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What veg for patch now?

Options
  • 11-04-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Well I look after a small garden in town, there is a small raised to sleeper width bed for veg, it's not surrounded by a wall or anything.
    What could I plant in it? Something that is easy to get going and keep alive.
    It's a sunny stop and somewhat sheltered.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Its hard to know from your post what size bed you have to plant with...

In terms of growing veg - its really important to grow veg that you like to eat. Otherwise it becomes a bit of a chore to grow or even worst case scenario - what you grow becomes wasted.

Veg that I found really easy to grow here in Dublin 7 are;
    Potatoes
    Onions - from sets
    Outdoor Cucumbers from seeds

If you dont mind watering and feeding then Outdoor cherry tomatoes are easy enough.

Lettuce and Cabbages are easy to grow but need to keep slugs/ snails and caterpillars off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

It's a small patch, about 2.5 yards long by 1 yard wide.
    I want something I can put in and just have to water etc, not something I've to prune of anything, or plant one place and transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

If you like beetroot its very easy to grow. You only need to thin it out once after a few weeks. And I would go with onion sets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Cheers.
    Beetroot, onions, potatoes, cucumbers.
    What is a set?
    I should call into my parents neighbour, he's a man who grows lots I'm sure he'd give advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

As you're a beginner, I would buy some small plants to start off. Sow some radish and parsley, some lettuce and spinach. Buy 2 courgette plants. These are all easy. Read some gardening books and experiment. Carrots and potatoes can be grown in pots.Tomatoes are great in hanging baskets. (tumbling Toms variety)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

gsi300024v wrote: »
    What is a set?.

Sets are seeds that are after getting a bit of a head start. Very small bulbs

Advertisement