Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Xenophile wrote: »
    Yes, I just checked The Irish Times website, he ran as an Independent in the last Local Election and got 296 votes. He must have money to burn, he is sure to loose his deposit.

Probably but in the very tight battle for the last seat where the final seat may be filled by the last man standing without reaching the quota 296 votes could be the difference between candidates for an elimination after a count. It'll be interesting to see what sort of a campaign he runs and if he directly targets Kelly vote by attacking the Labour track record in government. It's odd that someone with no chance would choose to blow so much money on a hopeless election campaign. Often it's because there is a local election coming up but that's 4 years away and there could be 2 or 3 general elections before that. Or because there is some issue they want to promote in which case he'd have wanted to be on Vincent Brown's show. None of these seem to be the case here. It could be internal party politics. Kelly has never been the most popular among the Labour faithful. Perhaps in this case revenge for some past slight is a motivation.

jem wrote: »
    I was out with them

I hear Martin was also canvassing around Clonmel with Ambrose. We're into full election mode now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Mattie McGrath is wondering if someone is trying to kidnap or assassinate him

McGrath said a Red C poll carried out in his Tipperary constituency is “a bit sinister”.

INDEPENDENT TD MATTIE McGrath has questioned why a poll commissioned in his constituency did not include his name as an option, describing it as “a bit sinister”.

The Tipperary TD said he was made aware in recent days of Red C carrying out polling in his own village of Newcastle and surrounding villages in what he said was his “heartland”.

The pollsters did not give McGrath as an option when listing candidates running in Tipperary constituency at the next general election.

McGrath claimed the research was commissioned to undermine his position, telling TheJournal.ie:

It’s a bit sinister. It would be a total distortion of any result so what value would it be to anyone unless someone is going to have me assassinated or kidnapped?

Red C managing director Richard Colwell confirmed his company had been commissioned to do the research. But he said it was private poll, conducted for a private company, therefore they are able to ask whatever they want.

“We do loads of different polls and anyone can decide who’s on a list. It’s not going to be published,” he said.

3/2/2013 Protests Against Closing Down Garda Stations
    Source: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland

Colwell added that such a poll could be commissioned for “any number of reasons” but admitted that a poll excluding a candidate would not be commissioned often.

McGrath said he would “hate to be the guy paying for the poll and they made a dog’s dinner of it”:

They came out to my own village and three neighbouring villages in my own heartland. It’s strange. People were asking: ‘Where’s Matttie?’

He said the poll could have been put out to damage him or “put out a rumour that I mightn’t be standing”.

McGrath insisted that he had been out canvassing since mid-July ahead of the general election next year.

Tipperary is a new five-seat constituency which is an amalgamation of the old Tipperary North and Tipperary South constituencies.

Six sitting TDs are seeking re-election including Fine Gael’s Noel Coonan and Tom Hayes, Labour’s Alan Kelly, and independents Micheal Lowry, Seamus Healy and McGrath.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Mattie McGrath is wondering if someone is trying to kidnap or assassinate him

McGrath said a Red C poll carried out in his Tipperary constituency is “a bit sinister”.

INDEPENDENT TD MATTIE McGrath has questioned why a poll commissioned in his constituency did not include his name as an option, describing it as “a bit sinister”.

The Tipperary TD said he was made aware in recent days of Red C carrying out polling in his own village of Newcastle and surrounding villages in what he said was his “heartland”.

The pollsters did not give McGrath as an option when listing candidates running in Tipperary constituency at the next general election.

McGrath claimed the research was commissioned to undermine his position, telling TheJournal.ie:

It’s a bit sinister. It would be a total distortion of any result so what value would it be to anyone unless someone is going to have me assassinated or kidnapped?

Red C managing director Richard Colwell confirmed his company had been commissioned to do the research. But he said it was private poll, conducted for a private company, therefore they are able to ask whatever they want.

“We do loads of different polls and anyone can decide who’s on a list. It’s not going to be published,” he said.

3/2/2013 Protests Against Closing Down Garda Stations
    Source: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland

Colwell added that such a poll could be commissioned for “any number of reasons” but admitted that a poll excluding a candidate would not be commissioned often.

McGrath said he would “hate to be the guy paying for the poll and they made a dog’s dinner of it”:

They came out to my own village and three neighbouring villages in my own heartland. It’s strange. People were asking: ‘Where’s Matttie?’

He said the poll could have been put out to damage him or “put out a rumour that I mightn’t be standing”.

McGrath insisted that he had been out canvassing since mid-July ahead of the general election next year.

Tipperary is a new five-seat constituency which is an amalgamation of the old Tipperary North and Tipperary South constituencies.

Six sitting TDs are seeking re-election including Fine Gael’s Noel Coonan and Tom Hayes, Labour’s Alan Kelly, and independents Micheal Lowry, Seamus Healy and McGrath.

I'd say Mattie commissioned it. He hasn't been in the media for a week.

touts wrote: »
    I'd say Mattie commissioned it. He hasn't been in the media for a week.

I would imagine that he was lumped in with the Independents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Ha Ha Ha!! Not too many people ever have a chance to say "Where's Mattie?"

It's normally "There's Mattie...... again"

Or as an elderly relative of mine, who lives in his 'heartland', says...

"Here comes that effin' stickyback! Everytime I turn around, he's there."

Expunge wrote: »
    Ha Ha Ha!! Not too many people ever have a chance to say "Where's Mattie?"

It's normally "There's Mattie...... again"

Or as an elderly relative of mine, who lives in his 'heartland', says...

"Here comes that effin' stickyback! Everytime I turn around, he's there."

The new best seller book made up of photographs of the crowds at every funeral in Tipperary in 2015. It's called "Where's Mattie". Hours of entertainment for all the family as you hunt for him in each photo. Bonus competition if you can find Alan Kelly in any photo.

touts wrote: »
    The new best seller book made up of photographs of the crowds at every funeral in Tipperary in 2015. It's called "Where's Mattie". Hours of entertainment for all the family as you hunt for him in each photo. Bonus competition if you can find Alan Kelly in any photo.

A hint when seeking Mattie, just look for those glasses that darken in sunlight. You get minus points for finding Tom Hayes.

What a great idea, Maryanne84!!!!

We could do it to try and get into the Guinness Book of Records in the style of Where's Wally?

We could get maybe a thousand of us to dress up in a brown suit, dark glasses, Nokia up to the ear and Tipp baseball cap. We'll get in to the Guinness Book of Records and raise a few pound for charidee.

I'm sure the man himself would love it. Maybe at the next Liam Lynch Commemoration?

Well done to Mattie as WIKIPEDIA Lists University College Cork as his Alma Mater, just interested to know what qualifications he gained there. Anyway well done Mattie as this aspect of your life has been much understated!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Well done to Mattie as WIKIPEDIA Lists University College Cork as his Alma Mater, just interested to know what qualifications he gained there. Anyway well done Mattie as this aspect of your life has been much understated!

He has a certificate in communication skills from UCC

Vizzy wrote: »
    He has a certificate in communication skills from UCC

To go with his Irish dancing medals

To go with his Irish dancing medals

Come on Maryanne, be fair to the man, he was the only TD in the Dail who jigged, quick stepped and waltzed his way out of not supporting the Marriage Equality Referendum.

He will need all his communication skills to explain his actions on this, when canvassing, to the young people on the door step, or will he just simply ask " Is your Grandmother or Grandfather at home ?" With apologies to all the fair minded, liberal, decent, and loving Grannies and Grandads.

Don't underestimate Mattie. He plays the fool but is very clever in his own way. He'll finish life with a pension the rest of us can only dream of. I'd say a college qualification is well within his ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

Anyone hear the new Independant candidate interviewed on Tipp fm today? Michael Dillon from Portroe. Came across very badly. He's not using posters and not canvassing because in his words, 'They're mostly foreigners who don't vote anyway'. Was very aggressive to the interviewer, was asked why people should vote for him, he replied, 'Why shouldn't they?'..
    Was the typical dole scrounger who seems to think he could do it all different and everyone else is stupid and corrupt.

You'll be glad to hear Xenophile, I don't think he'll pose any threat to your beloved Kelly :)

Come on Maryanne, be fair to the man, he was the only TD in the Dail who jigged, quick stepped and waltzed his way out of not supporting the Marriage Equality Referendum.

He will need all his communication skills to explain his actions on this, when canvassing, to the young people on the door step, or will he just simply ask " Is your Grandmother or Grandfather at home ?" With apologies to all the fair minded, liberal, decent, and loving Grannies and Grandads.

You do realise that the referendum result in Tipperary was 55% to 45%. Not 100 nil. They weren't all auld wans who voted no.
    He tapped into something that no-one else did. People voted no for various reasons, many (I'd say) who just don't like being shoved along by a perceived urban liberal elite.
    I'm not saying there's such a thing but I do think the perception is there and Deputy McGrath won't be forgotten by some of those who voted no.
    He is indeed too smart and hard working to be wasting his time with the clowns of Ireland's University sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭perry123

PearlJ wrote: »
    Anyone hear the new Independant candidate interviewed on Tipp fm today? Michael Dillon from Portroe. Came across very badly. He's not using posters and not canvassing because in his words, 'They're mostly foreigners who don't vote anyway'.
    and he also said "you might be knocking on the door of an elderly person would have to use a zimmer frame to answer the door"

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

perry123 wrote: »
    and he also said "you might be knocking on the door of an elderly person would have to use a zimmer frame to answer the door"

Have to listen to the Podcast , mentioned already the chap is a Head Case :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

Michael Smith the former minister was a graduate from there too wasn't he? :)

Have to listen to the Podcast , mentioned already the chap is a Head Case :D .
    is that the guy who was canvassing in Clonmel?

• Advertisement

is that the guy who was canvassing in Clonmel?

Yeah :D . . .

Yeah :D . . .
    is he for real or is he genuinely a bit 'slow' or something that he does not reaslise how he sounds? Would his family not tell him?

is he for real or is he genuinely a bit 'slow' or something that he does not reaslise how he sounds? Would his family not tell him?

The rest of the family are the same :confused: ! The children had a tough upbringing . He`s being egged on by people who want him to run for the craic and to see what he comes out with next , gullible I suppose is the best way to describe him .

Apart from Alan Kelly how many TD's from the North of the Constituency came to Clonmel to view the flood situation there !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Apart from Alan Kelly how many TD's from the North of the Constituency came to Clonmel to view the flood situation there !
    Hear Ye Hear Ye,"Alan Kelly visited Clonmel today" press release above,

Hope he re-visited the bus shelter in Bansha on the way back for another photo op.
    I know a few that was behind him on that photo op and believe me they have been in more party's than Lindsay Lohan,these are the types he attracts and will move on to the next one when he fails to hold the last seat in a couple of months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

None to answer your question

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

What's the point?? Photoshoot??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone else think a politician looking for a photo op is the last thing you want to see when your house is flooded.

Joe Hannigan having his Election launch for the North Tipp/Offaly area in the Pavilion , Ballinderry sportsfield , this Tuesday @ 8 p.m . He hopes to outline the campaign plan, structures and strategies and is inviting supporters , canvassers etc to go to it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Joe Hannigan having his Election launch for the North Tipp/Offaly area in the Pavilion , Ballinderry sportsfield , this Tuesday @ 8 p.m . He hopes to outline the campaign plan, structures and strategies and is inviting supporters , canvassers etc to go to it .

Is this the guy who thinks Tipp will win a football all Ireland by 2020?

Advertisement