Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Xenophile wrote: »
    Alan Kelly has a better chance of being re-elected than Joan Burton !

that's not saying much Joan is in a constituency likely to elect both a sinn fein and a AAA TD, and Leo Varadkar will surely be returned for FG. That leaves Joan in a fight with FF and the independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

jem wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/tnaiste-coy-on-cabinet-position-for-kelly-as-labour-plans-sugar-tax-34435947.html

Tánaiste Joan Burton has refused to say whether she will reappoint her deputy leader Alan Kelly to Cabinet if the Labour Party gets back into government.

Even his don't want him

Its amazing how media can spin anything. What a disingenious headline there, the piece is nothing about Alan Kelly nor any quote directly related to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Kelly 3/10....Burton 4/7..
    Not much better,with those oddds,which are from Irelands leading bookie...

Correct

Except Kelly is third in the betting in a 5 seater.

Joan Burton who I have much admiration for is fifth in the betting in a 4 seater.

Joan Burton is a career politician, I hope she gets elected as well as Kelly, these two must learn to work together.

I would say that Kelly would be the first person to recommend a Senate appointed for Burton if she fails to get elected.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Joan just said "of course he will be in the cabinet" on Sean O'Rourke's show.

touts wrote: »
    Joan just said "of course he will be in the cabinet" on Sean O'Rourke's show.

Yes, she was speaking of Alan Kelly. For anyone who wants it confirmed they can hear it back on RTE Radio Player. :)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

We already Have AK47.....Is mattie the latest to get an election nickname?
    Was I dreaming,or did I hear him today,on Tipp FM, saying,he carried lollipops,on his election canvas..?......
    Mattie "My boy lollipop " McGrath....
    Will he get licked at election time,or would you be a sucker,not to vote for him...;-)

We already Have AK47.....Is mattie the latest to get an election nickname?
    Was I dreaming,or did I hear him today,on Tipp FM, saying,he carried lollipops,on his election canvas..?......
    Mattie "My boy lollipop " McGrath....
    Will he get licked at election time,or would you be a sucker,not to vote for him...;-)

For creative writing I give you a good grade. :)

McGrath approached to prop up FG government

11 Feb, 2016 Tipp FM.

A Tipperary Independent TD says he's been approached by the Finance Minister about supporting Fine Gael after the election.

There has been much talk about Enda Kenny and Fine Gael ruling out any possible deal with Michael Lowry.

However Deputy Mattie McGrath says he has been asked by Minister Michael Noonan if he would back them to form a Government this time round.

The South Tipp TD says he would have no qualms with such a move and would consider it if it was in the best interests of the people of Tipperary.

Do you think that there is any truth in this story ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ratucdm

Saw this on Tipperary Times today. Nothing much about the candidates but interesting comparison heading towards the election

tipperarytimes.com/politics/paddyryan/tipperary-general-election-candidates-facing-their-own-bechers-brook/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

11 Feb, 2016 Tipp FM.

A Tipperary Independent TD says he's been approached by the Finance Minister about supporting Fine Gael after the election.

There has been much talk about Enda Kenny and Fine Gael ruling out any possible deal with Michael Lowry.

However Deputy Mattie McGrath says he has been asked by Minister Michael Noonan if he would back them to form a Government this time round.

The South Tipp TD says he would have no qualms with such a move and would consider it if it was in the best interests of the people of Tipperary.

No tbh.Mattie is the definition of gombeen fianna fail parish pump politician.

• Advertisement

11 Feb, 2016 Tipp FM.

None whatsoever. It's like his Alan Kelly hiding in his van yarn. Mattie's getting a bit desperate now. http://tippfm.com/news/news_detail/noonan_dismisses_mattie_mcgraths_claims_of_possible_deal

Mattie McGrath better be careful or he will soon get a nick name !

Mattie McGrath better be careful or he will soon get a nick name !

How about "Mattie Van McGrath" ?

How about "Mattie Van McGrath" ?

Or "Master McGrath"

Or "Master McGrath"

Good try, but I don't think that would stick, even though he maybe running from the media as fast as any greyhound !

Good try, but I don't think that would stick, even though he maybe running from the media as fast as any greyhound !

How about "Mattie Cannot Tell A Lie McGrath"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

How about "Mattie Cannot Tell A Lie McGrath"

As someone said recently, "Reverting to childish name calling is a clear sign of childish behaviour" .

Vizzy wrote: »
    As someone said recently, "Reverting to childish name calling is a clear sign of childish behaviour" .

In the last week Mattie has told 2 blatant lies. One he retracted himself and the other was denied by the Minister for Finance. I think our childish namecalling pales into insignificance beside his lies!

In the last week Mattie has told 2 blatant lies. One he retracted himself and the other was denied by the Minister for Finance. I think our childish namecalling pales into insignificance beside his lies!

Maryanne, my comment was "tongue in cheek"
    Another poster made the original comment about the childish namecalling about 2 pages back on this very thread.

TBH, I'd say Mattie couldn't lie straight in bed !!

Calling the late Michael Collins.........."The Big Fellow" seemed appropriate.

But "Jelly Kelly" under the circumstances seems like a nick name straight out of Junior Infants !

• Advertisement

Calling the late Michael Collins.........."The Big Fellow" seemed appropriate.

But "Jelly Kelly" under the circumstances seems like a nick name straight out of Junior Infants !

I aasume that Michael Collins was called "The Big Fellow" because he was a large man.
    "Jelly Kelly" ?? If the cap fits and all that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭westtipp

touts wrote: »
    FF HQ seem to be throwing all their backing behind Smith and Cahill. They are getting all the radio slots etc. Apparently she hasn't a fraction of the budget they have either. She's really getting shafted. I heard someone explain it that FF have targeted a seat in the North and will then target Mattie's seat in the south when he retires next time which is stupid considering the polls have him vulnerable this time.

Also the South doesn't seem to be energised as much as the North. Looking at the article in the Indo this morning there is a very real possibility of 4 seats in the North and only one in the South. The poll they had gave it:
    - Lowry is safe with 20K+ votes and increasing daily.
    - Healy is safe.
    - Coonan & Hayes in a battle for the third seat and you have to say it is relying on the distribution of a large Lowry surplus that would put Coonan ahead,
    - Smith & Cahill are fighting for a Fianna Fail seat.
    - Kelly, Morris & Mattie in a battle for the last seat and only 1 in the South (Healy) and with Kelly and Morris coming from Nenagh you would suspect one of those has the advantage when the other goes out.

So that would have it 4 from Tipp North (Lowry, Coonan, Cahill & Kelly) and only 1 from Tipp South (Healy). Hard to believe but if the polls are accurate unless the South gets behind some of their candidates like Ambrose & Mattie then they are going to lose out when the goodies are being handed out by the next government.

Lowry will top the poll, but will not get as many votes in the south as he thinks. Thurles will have a TD.
    Healy will be OK. Clonmel will have a TD.
    Coonan has no chance. Lost too much ground in the electoral boundary redraw. Hayes will get the FG seat. Cashel/Tipp will have a TD.
    Unfortunately Kelly will get in. Nenagh will have a TD.
    The last seat will be a scrap between Mattie, Morris and Cahill. Despite only polling 5% in the Locals in 2014, Cahill appears to have momentum and looks like having FFs best chance of a seat. Hard to call....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

By right it should not be called the constituency of Tipperary as a large section is now in the Offaly constituency, a disgraceful decision..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

By right it should not be called the constituency of Tipperary as a large section is now in the Offaly constituency, a disgraceful decision..

why is it disgraceful? it's not just in tipperary, part of Mayo is in Galway west, many counties are joined together.

It's not like county borders are really significant outside of the GAA, I'm sure most people will find similar candidates in offally as there are in tipp.

A lowry voter? surely offaly have someone with aspirations of corruption. is the cowen family still in politics?
    a fg/ff/sf voter? These parties exist outside tipperary :)
    sadly labour voters (theres not many left) will have to settle for one of the above or an independent.

All in all the boundary change hasn't ripped the fabric of Irish politics as we know it

westtipp wrote: »
    Unfortunately Kelly will get in. Nenagh will have a TD.

Nothing unfortunate about that, Kelly knows where the votes are. Clonmel has an urban population the total size of Nenagh and Thurles combined. He chose a campaign manager in the person of Seamus Martin, ex Tipp FM with strong Clonmel connections.

The south of the county has been badly served by two Independents in the person of Mattie McGrath and Seamus Healy, they have no influence and never had.

Kelly has a busy office in Clonmel and he knows that the above as TD's that their days are numbered.

Healy's policy of asking people to withold the property tax back fired on him as his approach to water charges is heading down the same route. But let's not worry too much about him as he has a fine pension from the years he spent as Manager of the now South Tipperary General Hospital.

Mattie for many reasons this time will not be elected, I hope that his Dail pension will afford him a comfortable enough life style. I feel sure that it will. It is rumored that Fianna Fail will target his seat next time around.

All in all Kelly will be a TD for all of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

All in all Kelly will be a TD for all of the county.

If Kelly makes it in then it will be for Kelly and Kelly alone .

jonski wrote: »
    If Kelly makes it in then it will be for Kelly and Kelly alone .

Very few politicians have the honesty to say " Power suits me"

It's great to see a politician, who almost as far as I can see everyone loves to hate make it in his chosen career.

He is doing something right that seems to go beyond his egotistical ambition.

As he says "Power is a drug and it suits him".

90% of all politicians feel and think like that "

Many people can benefit from him and his team of helpers.

Of course nobody wants to hear Fr.McVerry's statement that Kelly is the only politician that understands the homeless crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

why is it disgraceful? it's not just in tipperary, part of Mayo is in Galway west, many counties are joined together.

It's not like county borders are really significant outside of the GAA, I'm sure most people will find similar candidates in offally as there are in tipp.

A lowry voter? surely offaly have someone with aspirations of corruption. is the cowen family still in politics?
    a fg/ff/sf voter? These parties exist outside tipperary :)
    sadly labour voters (theres not many left) will have to settle for one of the above or an independent.

All in all the boundary change hasn't ripped the fabric of Irish politics as we know it

I have no interest in parts of Galway,Mayo or anwhere else for that matter. I do have an interest in Tipperary where I am from , not Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Very few politicians have the honesty to say " Power suits me"

It's great to see a politician, who almost as far as I can see everyone loves to hate make it in his chosen career.

He is doing something right that seems to go beyond his egotistical ambition.

As he says "Power is a drug and it suits him".

90% of all politicians feel and think like that "

Many people can benefit from him and his team of helpers.

Of course nobody wants to hear Fr.McVerry's statement that Kelly is the only politician that understands the homeless crisis.

At this stage you are turning people off voting for Kelly. Jesus give us a break to have a chat about others please

• Advertisement

At this stage you are turning people off voting for Kelly. Jesus give us a break to have a chat about others please

QUOTE=jonski;98708545]If Kelly makes it in then it will be for Kelly and Kelly alone .[/QUOTE]

So I replied to someone's post. I think certain posts should not go unchallenged. Plenty of people here to write about all the other candidates if they want too !

Advertisement