Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Outgoing Minister for Forestry Noel Coonan, some of his election posters were initially nailed to trees out on the Clonmel to Cahir Road too, ya honestly couldn't make this stuff up.

Xenophile wrote: »
    If you are so concerned with litter I suggest you go and take them down yourselves. At present Alan Kelly's main priority is to tackle the homelessness crisis. I refer you to his comprehensive statement that he made in the Dail on Tuesday !

He had enough time to tackle the homelessness crisis when he was a real minister..He is on the way out now, and makes a statement...looking after his vote should we have to go sgain...Kenny said he would fix it within months if he was taoiseach again..more bull...

If you are so concerned with litter I suggest you go and take them down yourselves. At present Alan Kelly's main priority is to tackle the homelessness crisis. I refer you to his comprehensive statement that he made in the Dail on Tuesday !

He had enough time to tackle the homelessness crisis when he was a real minister..He is on the way out now, and makes a statement...looking after his vote should we have to go sgain...Kenny said he would fix it within months if he was taoiseach again..more bull...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Spain is entering a fourth month without a Government like Ireland caretaker Ministers act as Real Ministers. Maybe we will have Caretaker Ministers for many months to come!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Good man Mattie, he never misses a trick when it comes to a sound bite.

An Independent TD has warned Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil they could pull out of talks at any time.

The comments from Mattie McGrath come as another day of negotiations with Fine Gael gets underway at Government Buildings.

Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath says realistically the two big parties have to talk to each other, and soon.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

he is in the dail a long time, what has he done as regards homelesness, iw was his priority, i dunno if this has changed

F34 wrote: »
    Fairly pathetic that he's wasting Garda time about Election posters in my opinion
    that and death and bomb threat

An Independent TD has warned Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil they could pull out of talks at any time.

The comments from Mattie McGrath come as another day of negotiations with Fine Gael gets underway at Government Buildings.

Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath says realistically the two big parties have to talk to each other, and soon.

well pinnochio has threatned them its either prop him up or face another election, which he knows some of the cannot afford, good old tory boot boy tacticts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

More airwaves for Mattie as he also sent his sympathies to those who are on verge of losing jobs in Cashel

http://www.newstalk.com/125-pharmaceutical-jobs-lost-in-Cashel

Says he raised the issue with Richie Bruton give over Mattie will ya

Seamus Healy T.D. has stated, that on mature reflection that he now urges people to pay their Water Charges and Property Tax and that we are blessed to be living in an area with such clean air and water !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seamus Healy T.D. has stated, that on mature reflection that he now urges people to pay their Water Charges and Property Tax and that we are blessed to be living in an area with such clean air and water !

Happy April Fools to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Your man is going to struggle to get a nominator if it comes to a leadership election among the 6 TDs but the good news is he can vote for himself,the bad news is he will struggle for someone to second him among the 6 remaining!!

tipptom wrote: »
    Your man is going to struggle to get a nominator if it comes to a leadership election among the 6 TDs but the good news is he can vote for himself,the bad news is he will struggle for someone to second him among the 6 remaining!!

A lot to play for yet, I can see another election coming, no Government will be formed this week or the week after !

A lot to play for yet, I can see another election coming, no Government will be formed this week or the week after !

Its gone beyond a joke now:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 solo1y

jem wrote: »
    This could be hugely important.
    can you provide further details please.

I live right on the border between Tipperary and Waterford. All of our public services are administrated by Tipperary. When people ask me where I'm from, I say "Clonmel". But technically, we're in County Waterford.

There has always been confusion. Every election, we get pamphlets from candidates in both constituencies, but we would always get actual ballots for South Tipperary. In this last election cycle, many of the constituencies were tweaked, so when we got a letter re-zoning us to Waterford, we thought nothing of it, and assumed that they knew what they were doing.

On the night, we turned up to the ballot in the CTI on Raheen Rd., and they told us that our ballots were zoned Tipperary. I'm hardly going to kick up a fuss in the ballot place, and to be honest I don't care that much as long as I get a vote. But it was a surprise.

I know Ger. I should probably talk to him, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Just looking at the Senate Elections. I see Noel Coonan & Michael Smith Jr both lost in their elections. I understand Coonan was an official FG candidate but still went out early enough. Smith Jr ran as an quasi-independent when he didn't get a party nomination so he was always up against it without the party telling their councilors to vote for him but he hung in there until near the end. Apparently Smith Snr had toured the country visiting conuncils trying to drum up support for the young fella. The outgoing Carrick on Suir Senator no one every heard of Denis Landy was returned. There were a few other no-hope Tipperary candidates in the election, Griffith, Hughes & Hannifin and they all got knocked out fairly early in their respective counts.

So where does that leave us if there is an election later this year or early in 2017 (can't see the current patch up job lasting longer than that). Who will be the candidates?

Lets assume the outgoing TDs all run. That'll be Lowry, Healy, McGrath, Cahill & Kelly. Who will run for FG? Coonan probably. Will Hayes come back? Can't see Marie Murphy going again after the hammering she got. They will probably stick to the two candidate strategy one North and one South but their convention should be interesting. Wonder will Enda give a senate seat to someone in Tipperary and put them in pole position for a Dail run. Will FF run a three candidate strategy again. Hard to see Smith Jr having any chance of a seat with Cahill now ahead of him so will they waste money and resources on two candiates from the North. Even harder to see Cahill wanting Smith anywhere near the ticket. With him losing in the senate (and doing another solo run after not getting a party nomination) it's hard to see where Smith Jr goes now. If they run one from the North and one from the South Coonan will be the northern candidate but who will the South Candidate be? Ambrose is still probably their only option unless they parachute some celeb candidate in. But Mattie was love bombing Michael Martin during the government negotiations so could he be welcomed back into the party?

Beyond that can't see anyone else running if there is an election again later this year. The small independents and Greens won't have the money for another no hope campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I would say that a lot will depend on the make up of the constituency by then, the current arrangement where us in the north west of the county were dispatched to biffo land is not set in stone and was a trial that was to be reviewed after the General election, so if that were to be reversed it would change things dramatically.

danganabu wrote: »
    I would say that a lot will depend on the make up of the constituency by then, the current arrangement where us in the north west of the county were dispatched to biffo land is not set in stone and was a trial that was to be reviewed after the General election, so if that were to be reversed it would change things dramatically.

Can't see that being reversed any time soon. To do so would make the constituency way too large both in terms of geography and population. It would have to be made a 6 seater (which it can't be) or be split again into two 3 seaters which would need a seat to be taken from somewhere which would require more boundary reviews and juggling across the country. None of that will happen without a complete review which probably won't happen for a few years (and possibly therefore a few elections).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

touts wrote: »
    Can't see that being reversed any time soon. To do so would make the constituency way too large both in terms of geography and population. It would have to be made a 6 seater (which it can't be) or be split again into two 3 seaters which would need a seat to be taken from somewhere which would require more boundary reviews and juggling across the country. None of that will happen without a complete review which probably won't happen for a few years (and possibly therefore a few elections).
    Not necessarily remember this is done each time by the boundary commission.
    A few elections ago part of offaly was in North Tipp and went back the following year.

Hats off to Denis Landy, he managed to get himself re- elected to the Seanad by switching panels.

Denis Landy (born 28 February 1962) is an Irish Labour Party politician. He was elected to the 24th Seanad in April 2011 on the Administrative Panel. In 2016 he was elected to the 25th Seanad in April 2016 on the Agricultural Panel

Great to see Landy who is on the border of three constituencies, ie. Tipperary, Waterford, Kilkenny giving the people of Carrick-On-Suir a voice in the Oireachtas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

"Great to see Landy who is on the border of three constituencies, ie. Tipperary, Waterford, Kilkenny giving the people of Carrick-On-Suir a voice in the Oireachtas."

For all the good it did ye over the last five years.

Hats off to Denis Landy, he managed to get himself re- elected to the Seanad by switching panels.

Denis Landy (born 28 February 1962) is an Irish Labour Party politician. He was elected to the 24th Seanad in April 2011 on the Administrative Panel. In 2016 he was elected to the 25th Seanad in April 2016 on the Agricultural Panel

Great to see Landy who is on the border of three constituencies, ie. Tipperary, Waterford, Kilkenny giving the people of Carrick-On-Suir a voice in the Oireachtas.

Googled him to see what he did for the past 5 years. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

That'd be in keeping with the rest of the fcukers in the Seanad

Can't believe we voted to retain it.

Why don't you ring him with the objective of having a chat with him and maybe asking him if he has a clinic and you can bring any issues you have to his attention.

digzy wrote: »
    Seanad, Can't believe we voted to retain it.

I am glad we did we retain it. If it was a useless "quango" you would not get one of the best barristers in the country in the person Michael McDowell deciding to be a member, after his election there.

I think we can expect a different type of Seanad this time, and I hope so.

The Seanad can be an ideal place to introduce new legislation and also be a watchdog for all the legislation coming through from the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

digzy wrote: »
    That'd be in keeping with the rest of the fcukers in the Seanad

Can't believe we voted to retain it.
    We were right to retain it but it needs reform for it to have genuine ability to add to the political scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In fairness to Landy, he's got away with doing nothing for this long, why would he change now, he's on the gravy train.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    In fairness to Landy, he's got away with doing nothing for this long, why would he change now, he's on the gravy train.

Better gravy on the Agricultural Panel !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I am glad we did we retain it. If it was a useless "quango" you would not get one of the best barristers in the country in the person Michael McDowell deciding to be a member, after his election there.

The Seanad can be an ideal place to introduce new legislation and also be a watchdog for all the legislation coming through from the EU.
    And that is one of the main reasons that it is perceived to be a useless quango.

A man that kept one of the most reviled and corrupt government in power for longer than the Irish electorate should have had to suffer because of his massive overmassaged ego and thirst for hanging on to his own little powertrip at all costs.

A man who has been rejected by the electorate on multiple occasions for whatever bandwagon party that he thought was in fashion at the time and singlehandedly careered a party in to oblivion that could have been a force in Irish politics and did not even have the good grace to inform them of his hissy fit retirement.

Now the Irish electorate has to suffer this fool again regardless of what the electorate says.

Might as well bring back the ginger wigged fella who managed Foster and Allen while they are at it and he can suspend the Senate again after one day back so they can all go and play golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think we can expect changes to the Seanad over time. It can be an ideal place to introduce new legislation and is a place we can use to help the Dail but it needs reform.
    How the panels are voted for needs to change. The franchise needs to be expanded to those with relevant experience and not simply tds, senators and county councillors. More of the nominating bodies members should have voting privileges

Advertisement