Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

:D

:rolleyes:

Back on topic, now that Tipp (for the most part) is going to be whole again, i wonder will Joe Hannigan take another run at it, have to feel that had it been the full county the last go round he'd have stood a good chance.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

ibFoxer wrote: »

Back on topic, now that Tipp (for the most part) is going to be whole again, i wonder will Joe Hannigan take another run at it, have to feel that had it been the full county the last go round he'd have stood a good chance.

Except for Newport/Birdhill :cool: ! Joe would go really well and I`m very confident he will be elected if the goes . Very popular in GAA circles , he will pull votes all over the County as he will get GAA heads in all parts out batting for him !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

ibFoxer wrote: »

He could. It certainly strengthens the hands of a number of Northern candidates. None of them really cared about Newport/Birdhill etc so what they lose won't matter but the areas coming back from Offaly are strong political battlegrounds. It opens the door for Smith to be the other FF candidate with Cahill but FF in the South are likely to seriously resist that so they might try for a three candidate strategy again. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 4-1 split in seats after the next election with Mattie the only South Tipp TD (a situation that would make him almost wet himself with excitement).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Except for Newport/Birdhill :cool: ! Joe would go really well and I`m very confident he will be elected if the goes . Very popular in GAA circles , he will pull votes all over the County as he will get GAA heads in all parts out batting for him !

Which is why I said for the most part ;)

I don’t know if he’ll run, I don’t think it’s been put to him yet, time will tell I guess

touts wrote: »
    He could. It certainly strengthens the hands of a number of Northern candidates. None of them really cared about Newport/Birdhill etc so what they lose won't matter but the areas coming back from Offaly are strong political battlegrounds. It opens the door for Smith to be the other FF candidate with Cahill but FF in the South are likely to seriously resist that so they might try for a three candidate strategy again. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 4-1 split in seats after the next election with Mattie the only South Tipp TD (a situation that would make him almost wet himself with excitement).

Alan Kelly got a big vote in Newport last time , the Labour Councillor in the area is his Cousin , so he`ll get a big hit !
    Don`t write off Seamus Healy who is getting better recognition North of Cashel due to having Clinics in Northern Towns !

• Advertisement

Thats whats wrong with this country...The likes of GAA heads getting elected,just because the GAA has a big following..If I was looking for a painter,would I pick a mechanic because he had more friends saying he was good..Thats the kinda nonsense that gets us what we get in Leinster house,and has people giving out about parish pump politics.....end of rant:D

Thats whats wrong with this country...The likes of GAA heads getting elected,just because the GAA has a big following..If I was looking for a painter,would I pick a mechanic because he had more friends saying he was good..Thats the kinda nonsense that gets us what we get in Leinster house,and has people giving out about parish pump politics.....end of rant:D

100% .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Not a hope in hell. Joe got a good first preference in the last GE because he was the the only Tipperary person in an Offaly/Tipperary constituency, there was literally no other option for Tipp people, now that we are back where we belong the same voters can now revert to their old voting habits ( the vast majority in Borrisokane and surrounding areas are Lowry die hards) and Joe Hannigan may well be very popular in Tipp football circles, thats a big difference to GAA circles when it comes to Tipp. Most hurling people wouldnt even know who he is.

How many TD's do we currently have that were elected because the GAA have a big following?? Think before you answer btw because its one of the stupidest claims I have ever heard!!

danganabu wrote: »
    How many TD's do we currently have that were elected because the GAA have a big following?? Think before you answer btw because its one of the stupidest claims I have ever heard!!

I dont have to think before I answer because I was suggesting that many were elected was nonsense as well..Why would they be?..I never made any claim..stupid or otherwise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I would say a large amount of elected politicians (outside Dublin anyway) have a significant involvement with their local GAA club/s. Doesn't mean they'll get elected - cf Graham Geraghty Meath West 1997 - but would Geraghty even have got on that ballot without his history with Meath football? Seriously doubt it. And wasn't "single-handedly" saving Semple and restoring the fortunes of Tipp hurling a big part of the reason Lowry became such a folk hero in North Tipp?

I dont have to think before I answer because I was suggesting that many were elected was nonsense as well..Why would they be?..I never made any claim..stupid or otherwise..

Your going to have to forgive me, I don't speak what ever language this post is written in, if you could possibly translate it to english I can reply accordingly.

I would say a large amount of elected politicians (outside Dublin anyway) have a significant involvement with their local GAA club/s. Doesn't mean they'll get elected - cf Graham Geraghty Meath West 1997 - but would Geraghty even have got on that ballot without his history with Meath football? Seriously doubt it. And wasn't "single-handedly" saving Semple and restoring the fortunes of Tipp hurling a big part of the reason Lowry became such a folk hero in North Tipp?

I would say a large amount of them go to mass as well, I doubt they were elected on the back of the Catholic Church though. MicK Wallace is a big Soccer man, or Soccer head for consistency, do you think that had anything to do with him being elected?

And you are extremely naive is one you think that Michael Lowry single handly saved the stadium or secondly that anyone voting in the last GE election was doing so on the basis of a concert nearly 30 years ago :rolleyes: and it does often seem to be conveniently forgotten that Lowry had already been elected as a TD before he was appointed the chairman of the stadium committee.

Fact is that while his personal finances and his practices may not be idealor indeed legal he is a bloody good politician who has consistently delivered for his constituents.

I would say a large amount of them go to mass as well, I doubt they were elected on the back of the Catholic Church though. MicK Wallace is a big Soccer man, or Soccer head for consistency, do you think that had anything to do with him being elected?

And you are extremely naive is one you think that Michael Lowry single handly saved the stadium or secondly that anyone voting in the last GE election was doing so on the basis of a concert nearly 30 years ago :rolleyes: and it does often seem to be conveniently forgotten that Lowry had already been elected as a TD before he was appointed the chairman of the stadium committee.

Fact is that while his personal finances and his practices may not be idealor indeed legal he is a bloody good politician who has consistently delivered for his constituents.

Ok fair enough, but you've replied to another post there not mine. Because nowhere did I suggest people get elected on the back of a GAA connection and I guess putting the word "single-handedly" in quote marks was an irony fail on my part. It was certainly lost on you anyway ;)

If simply stating that a GAA background or involvement does no harm to one's political ambitions, then sure, naive as charged. I don't even know why that's worth arguing about. Lowry is a very charming guy, I saw him working rooms when he was a young politician and it was clear he had a great knack with people, whatever else about him. But to suggest his role in Tipp hurling during the Babs era didn't significantly enhance his popularity is just, well, a bit silly to my mind anyway. But not worth arguing about either.

Ok fair enough, but you've replied to another post there not mine. Because nowhere did I suggest people get elected on the back of a GAA connection and I guess putting the word "single-handedly" in quote marks was an irony fail on my part. It was certainly lost on you anyway ;).

Fair enough it wasn't your comment that I was replying to, apologies. It was the absurd claim that there was a history of ''GAA heads getting elected,just because the GAA has a big following'' in this country that got my goat up, it's beyond dumb.

I accept that I conveniently chose to ignore the quotation marks as without them it strengthened my argument, like Lowry I am guilty of all charges :D

Fair enough it wasn't your comment that I was replying to, apologies. It was the absurd claim that there was a history of ''GAA heads getting elected,just because the GAA has a big following'' in this country that got my goat up, it's beyond dumb.

I accept that I conveniently chose to ignore the quotation marks as without them it strengthened my argument, like Lowry I am guilty of all charges :D

Ha, no worries. With an attitude like that, I look forward to your poll topping candidacy in the next election!

But I would agree that things are changing in this country and the old GAA/Church thing isn't as strong as it was, though I'd still be putting at least a score into the local club lotto every week just to be sure ;)

I'd still be putting at least a score into the local club lotto every week just to be sure ;)

Just make sure and take it back out of the basket on Sunday :D

I see the parties have most of their candidates selected for the next election. Time to resurrect this thread.

Michael Smith Jnr for FF seems to have thrown his toys out of the pram completely. Heard him on Tipp FM a couple of weeks ago and he seemed genuinely shocked and disgusted that he wasn't selected as a candidate. Full blown civil war seems to be going on in the party with Smith loyalists resigning from the party and all. If it continues like that I'd say Cahill's seat will be under serious pressure.

And FG have parachuted Kate O'Connell's sister onto their ticket. Because that's what Tipperary really need. Another of their seats given to Dublin. Their other candidate is another son of a former TD. Blood certainly seems to be thicker than talent in FG.

Lowry and Mattie must be laughing to see their former parties making such a shambles of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I see the parties have most of their candidates selected for the next election. Time to resurrect this thread.

Michael Smith Jnr for FF seems to have thrown his toys out of the pram completely. Heard him on Tipp FM a couple of weeks ago and he seemed genuinely shocked and disgusted that he wasn't selected as a candidate. Full blown civil war seems to be going on in the party with Smith loyalists resigning from the party and all. If it continues like that I'd say Cahill's seat will be under serious pressure.

And FG have parachuted Kate O'Connell's sister onto their ticket. Because that's what Tipperary really need. Another of their seats given to Dublin. Their other candidate is another son of a former TD. Blood certainly seems to be thicker than talent in FG.

Lowry and Mattie must be laughing to see their former parties making such a shambles of things.

Tbf I think you're being a little sensationalist.
    There's an obligation on the parties to run female candidates. Think Marie Murphy was fg 'token' female last time.

FF and FG are realistically targeting one seat each, given Lowry and Mattie probably have a significant fg and ff vote.

FF will run Cahill and the token female. I dunno about their selection process.

FG members selected garret Aherne. I dunno why they picked him but it wasn't as if 'dublin' forced him on them. I was surprised he got the vote given his only experience appears to be coveneys chauffeur !
    Regarding Newman, she was a close second. If FG didn't select her she could run as an independent and fcuk up Aherne. Plus she fulfills the 'female' criteria. The carry on over the Seanad seat she missed out on and her sisters (Kate o Connell ) sense of entitlement about it would raise some eyebrows. It wasn't a case of her being forced upon us by 'dublin'.
    There seems to be a narrative that Mary Hanna would be secected to suck up a northern fg vote even though she's from cappawhite. Don't think she did great in the FG selection.

I'd be pretty disappointed in the potential candidates bar Alan Kelly who seems the only one of them you'd consider a national politician.

digzy wrote: »
    FG members selected garret Aherne. I dunno why they picked him but it wasn't as if 'dublin' forced him on them. I was surprised he got the vote given his only experience appears to be coveneys chauffeur !
    Regarding Newman, she was a close second. If FG didn't select her she could run as an independent and fcuk up Aherne. Plus she fulfills the 'female' criteria. The carry on over the Seanad seat she missed out on and her sisters (Kate o Connell ) sense of entitlement about it would raise some eyebrows. It wasn't a case of her being forced upon us by 'dublin'.
    There seems to be a narrative that Mary Hanna would be secected to suck up a northern fg vote even though she's from cappawhite. Don't think she did great in the FG selection.

I don't say Aherne was the one being parachuted in. He is from Tipperary, has been elected as a councillor by Tipperary people and the Tipperary FG members picked him.

• Advertisement

I don't say Aherne was the one being parachuted in. He is from Tipperary, has been elected as a councillor by Tipperary people and the Tipperary FG members picked him.

When has he ‘been elected as a councilor by Tipperary people’ ?

Nor did I suggest that you said ahern was parachuted in.

When has he ‘been elected as a councilor by Tipperary people’ ?

Nor did I suggest that you said ahern was parachuted in.

Ok you're correct. Just googled him and see that he isn't a councillor. His only political qualifications are hereditary. But that said at least he is from Tipperary and has strong roots here which Kate O'Connell's sister does not. She's just parachuted in because she's from a family in well with Dublin HQ.

Ok you're correct. Just googled him and see that he isn't a councillor. His only political qualifications are hereditary. But that said at least he is from Tipperary and has strong roots here which Kate O'Connell's sister does not. She's just parachuted in because she's from a family in well with Dublin HQ.

I’m not defending her or fg
    However if she was ‘well in with Dublin hq’ she’d have gotten the Seanad seat she went for.
    She’s actually living in Tipp for quite a few years.
    To suggest she’s been parachuted in by hq is plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I’m not defending her or fg
    However if she was ‘well in with Dublin hq’ she’d have gotten the Seanad seat she went for.
    She’s actually living in Tipp for quite a few years.
    To suggest she’s been parachuted in by hq is plain wrong.

Twas the slowest dropping parachute of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kate O Connell is far from well in with FG HQ. She’s a free thinker in terms of opinions and not afraid to give them. She’s been sanctioned more times than any other FG td. The FG members of Tipperary chose her sister as is their right. The electorate will ultimately decide if they want her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

A relative of mine is in FG, and I happened to meet both Newman and ahearn on the canvass recently. If I had a vote, I’d certainly have given it to her over him. Newman had much more personality about her, and represented herself a lot better than Ahearn. If He hadn’t his surname he wouldn’t have stood a chance.

I think she lost out by about 6 votes, so i can’t see how anyone would claim she was being parachuted in by FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

To a Moderator

General Election 2016. The Constituency of Tipperary

Can you please change the title of this thread to read as stated above, as posters are already using it for the next General Election.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Xenophile wrote: »
    To a Moderator

General Election 2016. The Constituency of Tipperary

Can you please change the title of this thread to read as stated above, as posters are already using it for the next General Election.
    PM a mod and you're far more likely to get a response. They mightnt see this post for a while if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Very much not an FG supporter but to me Kate O Connell is quite a formidable politician if her sister is half her mould might actually be considered despite her party. A quick search says living in Cashel for 12 years jaysus if that's a plant by FG was some slow operation :pac:

• Advertisement

Very much not an FG supporter but to me Kate O Connell is quite a formidable politician if her sister is half her mould might actually be considered despite her party. A quick search says living in Cashel for 12 years jaysus if that's a plant by FG was some slow operation :pac:

Ah but that’s a fact that contradicts the ‘parachute ‘ spin !

Advertisement