Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC unavailable , next best option

Options
  • 11-04-2015 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I moved into a central apartment in town and am wondering what's the next best option for internet for UPC is not available ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Eircom or Vodaphone are your best bet then. Thats crazy that UPC isn't wired for your apartment as i don't i have been in a apartment that dosint have UPC being your only option

Eircom do a deal with your TV phone and internet but you will lose i think 20MB download speed with that deal.

Vodaphone are €38 a month used to be €35 for unlimited up to 100MB with unlimited downloads as well. You should be able to get fibre no problem in the town as the Fibre Boxes are everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

What about digiweb

What about digiweb

Looked up there price seems good for €40 with evening phone calls and unlimited internet (350GB Limit) and its all up to you if your going to use the phone or not.

Who ever you pick its going to be a eircom line so i would go with who ever is cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Not necessarily. You could go wi a wireless provider, like Total Wireless.

No phone line or cable required.

Not necessarily. You could go wi a wireless provider, like Total Wireless.

No phone line or cable required.

5Mb speed - €35 per month, €150 installation

Thats extremely dear and apartment complexes are extremely strict on what you can fit to the side of the building e.g. the dish or the attina and as its wireless broadband its going to be crap no one will ever say a good thing about wireless EVER. If your planing on using it for video games forgot about it with the Ping numbers will be in the 100s so you be lagging all the time and the upload will be shocking as well. I would stay away from wireless broadband.

Your safest best is Digiweb for €40 or Vodaphone for €38. Up to 100MB fibre and 20MB upload with your Line Retail and no install fee thats the closest speeds your going to get to UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

5Mb speed - €35 per month, €150 installation

Thats extremely dear and apartment complexes are extremely strict on what you can fit to the side of the building e.g. the dish or the attina and as its wireless broadband its going to be crap no one will ever say a good thing about wireless EVER. If your planing on using it for video games forgot about it with the Ping numbers will be in the 100s so you be lagging all the time and the upload will be shocking as well. I would stay away from wireless broadband.

Your safest best is Digiweb for €40 or Vodaphone for €38. Up to 100MB fibre and 20MB upload with your Line Retail and no install fee thats the closest speeds your going to get to UPC.

Digiweb charge for instillation wheres Vodaphone do not, looks like Vodaphone is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I'm gonna defend wireless broadband. Plenty of people who either can't get cable, fibre or DSL broadband, like in rural areas, like me, use wireless broadband with no problems. And do say nice things about it.

Ping times are no way that high. Mine is 21mS. I play games and watch videos.

Maybe you're confusing it with satellite broadband, which does have v high latency, plus many other disadvantages.

However, I digress. The OP was just asking for alternatives, and I suggested one.

Advertisement