Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious issues with broadband

Options
  • 11-04-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Hi im having an awful lot of issues with my broadband.

im using it for gaming mostly but im getting very bad lag everytime I play, this is an issue i have from the start and ive rang the eircom support team at least 15 times but they don't seem to care very much. I did a speed test and I got 14mb download 0.63 upload and ping was high, ye say that's normal but why is the bowsing so slow and cant play online games??  there have been a few technitons out and they say everything is fine. im really sick of it now and  need it fixed asap or I will be forced to find a new provider. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Hi im having an awful lot of issues with my broadband.

im using it for gaming mostly but im getting very bad lag everytime I play, this is an issue i have from the start and ive rang the eircom support team at least 15 times but they don't seem to care very much. I did a speed test and I got 14mb download 0.63 upload and ping was high, ye say that's normal but why is the bowsing so slow and cant play online games??  there have been a few technitons out and they say everything is fine. im really sick of it now and  need it fixed asap or I will be forced to find a new provider. thanks
    Hi rottie 11

Browsing and online gameplay should not be slow with 14Mb download speeds. Are you experiencing theses issues on one device or multiple devices?

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Hi rottie 11

Browsing and online gameplay should not be slow with 14Mb download speeds. Are you experiencing theses issues on one device or multiple devices?

Thanks
    Al

Its mainly on the xbox but when im browsing on the laptop its not great either. But its the gaming side of it that I really need sorted

Hi rottie 11

Thanks
    Al

Its mainly on the xbox but when im browsing on the laptop its not great either. But its the gaming side of it that I really need sorted
    Hi rottie 11

Please PM me your eircom account number and I will look in to this further

Thanks
    Al

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks for PM'ing your details rottie 11[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]It's very odd that your speed results are showing 14Mb and you're still experiencing issues with your Xbox[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I have run a number of tests and all results show that no issues with your line (internally nor externally). My test results also show that the there is no interference (basically meaning your internal set up at the socket is fine) and your modem is also fully up to date firmware wise.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I'm not sure if you are using your service wirelessly (WIFI) or by Ethernet connection but if it is indeed wireless please be aware that when connecting wirelessly service can be affected by the distance of the router /modem from your wireless device (Xbox in this case or laptop, Iphone/smartphone, wireless printer). Also thickness of walls between the device and modem can affect speeds when using Wifi.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I highly recommend connecting the Xbox directly to the modem via the Ethernet cable when gaming however you can also follow here for advice improving WIFI speeds: http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Improve-Your-Wireless/td-p/6181(If indeed you are connecting wirelessly)[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]In terms of a pings and latency I can confirm that eircom cannot offer a minimum guaranteed result as there are many things that effect ping outside the control of eircom.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Another important thing I would like to Highlight is the negative effect of other users/family members  using wifi - streaming, downloading and general usage of other devices - can have when you’re gaming. The less usage on the WIFI the better performance you should see.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Also, I have added some useful advice below (taken from eircom forum) :[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]The first step in troubleshooting high latency is testing with trace-route. To do so, drop into command prompt (Start > Run > type: cmd), and type: tracert eircom.net (or the host/site you're trying to reach).

The result shows every hop from you to the target machine, and its corresponding latency.
    Any spike in latency along the way can usually identify the location of the current problem.

High latency is usually out of the user control, however contacting your ISP with trace-route results can greatly help identify and troubleshoot the exact issue.

Ping is not "tweakable" by the user in most cases, especially if the latency spike occurs after the first hop in the traceroute result. The only exceptions are local problems like spyware or P2P programs hogging all the bandwidth, local interference between devices, etc.

To eliminate possible interference, try to put your modem/router far from all electrical devices and do not coil up any excess signal or power cables. If possible try our quick broadband check below :[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]The following may be helpful when troubleshooting slow speeds and high ping rates:[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]*Note: Not all of these steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Disconnect everything from the phone line[/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Connect one computer device to your modem when testing your speed.[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Are you connecting wirelessly? [/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]If you are using wireless to connect to the Internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow Ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Disable or exit your anti-virus programme or firewall(s) while testing your speed[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Have you scanned your computer for Spyware? [/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Spyware and viruses can interfere with Internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Are you downloading files while running /testing your Broadband speed? If so, this will dramatically reduce speedtest results.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] · [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]        In many cases where you experience poor results from a speed test, this can often be attributed to other activity on your PC or another PC/device in the house. In many of these instances there is peer-to-peer (Torrent, Limewire etc) activity downloading/uploading files to/from your PC. This kind of activity can adversely impact your Broadband speed. If you are running a speedtest please ensure that none of the devices connected to your router are downloading/uploading files[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] ·         Speedtests can be run on the following link: www.eircom.net/speedtest[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] Are there other devices using your modem or working off the WiFi connection while running a speedtest? If so, this can dramatically reduce speedtest results.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]·  [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]       In many cases, if there are other users browsing, streaming etc from another device on your Broadband connection. This will reduce the results from a Speedtest.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]· [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif]        Your connection should be free of all other users when attempting a speedtest for accurate results.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]
    In some cases you may find that changing the interleaving on your broadband connection may help improve your ping times[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]To do this, contact eircom Broadband Support, who may be able to assist you with this.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]
    *Note: Not all of the above steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

If you are still experiencing the same issue after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance. Please see contact information below :

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (locall) (Opening hours : 8am - 10pm - 7days)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Sorry for the late reply alan

but I am living alone so its just myself using it and also im using a cable for the xbox and also for the laptop most of the time.

Il have another read of the steps you posted and give them a try. Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry for the late reply alan

but I am living alone so its just myself using it and also im using a cable for the xbox and also for the laptop most of the time.

Il have another read of the steps you posted and give them a try. Thanks
    No worries rottie 11

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement