Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is DIT well recognised?

Options
  • 11-04-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Currently in 6th and thinking of doing Business Computing or Computing in DIT. I've been told that the courses are fantastic and prepare you excellently for post college. But is DIT well recognised by future employers? Obviously DCU, Trinity, UCD grads are looked for first but what's DIT like? Anyone finished and how long did it take you to get a job? Thanks any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

Dr.. wrote:
    Obviously DCU, Trinity, UCD grads are looked for first
    That's a misconception. They all conform to the same standards and issue equal qualifications. The name DIT might not even exist by the time you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

defo misconception. DIT as a name probably wont exist in a few years - DIT,ITT and ITB are merging making a very large college. Not sure if they will get the name "university" but who knows

Maybe have a think of what type of college experience you want to have. Large classes vs small classes etc. Also look into if a placement is part of the degree

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Maybe have a think of what type of college experience you want to have. Large classes vs small classes etc. Also look into if a placement is part of the degree

This is a strong case for DIT - haven spoken to graduates from several courses who went onto employment the placement element has in many cases been a key selling point - a practical application to the theory learned, and something employers value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I did work placement in a hospital as part of a DIT course. All of the employees I worked with either came from Trinity or DIT (or one of the colleges that later became DIT like Kevin St. or Bolton St.). I think only one went to DCU, but did his masters in Trinity.

It was probably a bit down to chance, but it definitely seemed to me that DIT produced a large number of employable graduates on a level playing field with Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

If you're from Dublin you're probably going to prefer DIT above any other college outside Dublin. If you're not from Dublin, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Geniass wrote: »
    If you're from Dublin you're probably going to prefer DIT above any other college outside Dublin. If you're not from Dublin, not so much.

Huh? I commute from Laois and I enjoy DIT very much, what's your reasoning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Instead of choosing a college for perceived status, why dont you look at modules/class sizes/clubs and socs/ease of commuting etc which are much more important.

For instance IMO instead of going to UCD I should have gone to Sligo, where the classes were smaller and rent was a third of the price I was paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

How would the class sized rate in DIT vs say NCI?

I'm not even sure where to find that information!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

eoinp11 wrote: »
    How would the class sized rate in DIT vs say NCI?

I'm not even sure where to find that information!

Thanks
    That is a crazy broad question and can't be answered like that. Class size varies from course to course in one college alone. It depends on class intake, if a class shares modules with another class, the type of course it is. My class for example is about 35, but I've been in another class before where there were 120 present. You have to check individual courses for their average intake. You can find information like that on Qualifax, Careersportal or the course's own prospectus.

Advertisement