Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on becoming a host family

Options
  • 11-04-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently seen a post on FB asking for families in my area to host students who were coming to Ireland in the summer.

I have contacted a couple of websites who run and provide this service and I am waiting on them to get back to me.

I think I would really enjoy this but I'd like to know is my house/family life suitable.

Has anyone either done this or used a service like this before?

If so what is expected of the host family?
    - What accommodation and facilities?
    - Do you have to provide all meals?
    - Are the students only in your house in the evening and weekends or all the time?
    - Do I need to be available 24/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

- Kingsize bed minimum, but queensize is preferred. Ensuite is essential as is a spa bath, one with proper jets, not just bubbles.

- A la Carte breakfast with a wide range on pancakes, several options for eggs and nothing but the finest quality dry cured local bacon.
    A packed lunch with fruit, Le Pellegrino lemonade, some handmade Irish cheeses, Sicilian Pancetta and fresh sourdough
    Dinner should consist of at least two courses Sunday through Wednesday, three on a Thursday, takeaway should be proffered on a Friday.
    For Saturday evenings the student will probably choose a nice Michelen star restaurant in a far corner of Ireland which you are expected to drive them to enhance their experience here. A light tea before bed and some choclates on the pillow wouldn't go astray.

- Some courses are 8 hours per week, others are 44. Either way you should be available to ferry the student to and from college.

- You should install a pager system in your home, the receiver for which you should carry with in order to facilitate a fast response should your assistance be required. You may sleep between the hours 23:00 and 06:30 unless the student needs a lift home from the pub of course, in which case you will be up to prepare the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mmm_cheesey

sounds easy enough so! Where do I sign?

Advertisement