Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

V-strom 1000 or Deauville 700

• 11-04-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I was toying with the idea of a new bike but I think I'll be better off with something a bit cheaper as the Cage needs upgrading this year or next.

Right now these two bike are looking good to me.

I like the idea of shaft drive, built in panniers,good weather protection, honda build quality and good MPG from the Deauvalle....there seems to be a good few clean examples with low miles on DD at the moment.

With the V-Strom I like the idea of a big tall bike with good road presence, more poke and some come with panniers.

Not many 1000cc around dd at the moment plenty of 650s though.

Anyone have any experience with either bike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

No competition, the V-Strom hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the 650 strom is a nicer engine than the 1000, nothing against the 1k but the 650 is just a nicer powerplant due to the fact that it is an newer design, the 1000 engine is the old TL1000 powerplant from 1997
    Its not really a fair comparison between a 1000 ADV bike and a 700cc Tourer.
    Totally different machines IMO.
    If you want practicality the NT700 if you want a taller gruntier bike the DL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

V Strom 1000 all day long and the following day. The DULLVILLE is too dangerous you will fall asleep driving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thing is Wonda is that not everyone is obsessed with big HP Sportsbikes. The Honda is actually not that dull and in terms of commuting a very practical machine no chain and sprockets means no greasy mess from chain lube and time saved cleaning all the crap off your bike and relubing.
    Built in luggage is also a big thing instead of having to get panniers and fit them and stop them from falling off.
    I don't think its fair to disparage bikes that way, plenty of people like to ride bikes but don't need a 1000cc to commute and all the expense that comes with them.
    At the end of the day its a personal decision and we are all bikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    V Strom 1000 all day long and the following day. The DULLVILLE is too dangerous you will fall asleep driving it.

Funny thing though, even with all the many many gob****e comments like this, on the net, the NT still fetch's top dollar on the used market.
    And there is a good reason for that. I had both DL thou and deauville and personally I preferred the deauville.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thing is Wonda is that not everyone is obsessed with big HP Sportsbikes. The Honda is actually not that dull and in terms of commuting a very practical machine no chain and sprockets means no greasy mess from chain lube and time saved cleaning all the crap off your bike and relubing.
    Built in luggage is also a big thing instead of having to get panniers and fit them and stop them from falling off.
    I don't think its fair to disparage bikes that way, plenty of people like to ride bikes but don't need a 1000cc to commute and all the expense that comes with them.
    At the end of the day its a personal decision and we are all bikers.

Only taken the piss mate, as a commuter it is indeed bullet proof. Its the Cillet Bang of the commuter world in fact....BANG and the Journeys DONE!

All messing aside, I would have the V Strom, even the 650 over it any day. All round IMO its a better bike, easy to service and would sell if needed to shift when upgrading.

Funny thing though, even with all the many many gob****e comments like this, on the net, the NT still fetch's top dollar on the used market.
    And there is a good reason for that. I had both DL thou and deauville and personally I preferred the deauville.

Jesus H Christ have a day off ffs. :rolleyes:

I rode both and I prefer the Strom....your move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I can only comment on the strom 650 vs the 1000 as i never drove a Deauvalle.
    I found the 650 strom a fine bike to potter around on but i felt like there was just no power there if i wanted to get moving on it.

Again, all depeds what you want out of a bike and how you drive.
    I had a vstrom 1000 GT and loved it for commuting.

I sat high above the cars, my mirrors were also over car mirrors which really helps with lane splitting and filtering. It was fine on juice unless you opened it up which you wont be depending on your commute. And it has shed loads of power in it if you do want to head out for a blast on the weekends and go mad.

EDIT: Just to add, my old vstrom is literally the best vstrom in the country right now. Absolutely loaded with every extra imaginable and tuned to perfection with some incredible exhausts. Its for sale at the moment in Andys bikes in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

goodlad wrote: »
    I can only comment on the strom 650 vs the 1000 as i never drove a Deauvalle.
    I found the 650 strom a fine bike to potter around on but i felt like there was just no power there if i wanted to get moving on it.

Again, all depeds what you want out of a bike and how you drive.
    I had a vstrom 1000 GT and loved it for commuting.

I sat high above the cars, my mirrors were also over car mirrors which really helps with lane splitting and filtering. It was fine on juice unless you opened it up which you wont be depending on your commute. And it has shed loads of power in it if you do want to head out for a blast on the weekends and go mad.

EDIT: Just to add, my old vstrom is literally the best vstrom in the country right now. Absolutely loaded with every extra imaginable and tuned to perfection with some incredible exhausts. Its for sale at the moment in Andys bikes in Kildare.

Ya I seen it on done deal the black one with all the extras? Can't find the ad now.

What year was it?

2010, 19,000km on it. Lad I sold it to didn't like the twin so he traded it in against a hayabusa. It's sitting over in Andys bikes now. Pretty sure they are closing the deal in a few days then it will be for sale again. I would imagine for 7k give or take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Two more bikes I personally would recommend are Yamaha TDM 900 and Triumph Tiger1050.
    I cannot speak highly enough about the TDM.
    Absolute pure pleasure to drive.
    The Tiger,similar to the Tdm but more modern feel to it and being a triple is that little bit different to the norm.
    As everyday day bikes both are outstanding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

Drive a dl650 myself. Highly recommended for commuting. Put a back box on it. Mine has a taller screen and an adjustable mount so very comfortable. Had an NTV 650 (and also a bros) and I prefer the Vstrom. Only advantage for the Deauville for me is the shaft drive but I'm looking at getting a Tutoro oiler which should even that out. Both are great bikes and you wont go too far wrong with either.

blade1 wrote: »
    Two more bikes I personally would recommend are Yamaha TDM 900 and Triumph Tiger1050.
    I cannot speak highly enough about the TDM.
    Absolute pure pleasure to drive.
    The Tiger,similar to the Tdm but more modern feel to it and being a triple is that little bit different to the norm.
    As everyday day bikes both are outstanding!

The new Tiger 1050 sport is one of the nicest bikes I have ever ridden, its a lovely complete package. Cant really fault it, great commuter plenty fast on the twisties and handles very well. Tad pricey but well put together....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Owned both the Vstorm1000 and the Deauville although only had the Honda for a few months. I'd go along with the view the Honda isn't the most exciting bike in the world but I rode the bike 8klms in the few months I had it including 6klms European touring and it was faultless, smooth, reliable, typical Honda oh and boy is it comfy. I couldn't put my finger on it tbh it was just boring. The Suzuki I just couldn't get along with at all. Found the wind blast even with the touring screen disastrous (im 6ft 3")and low down it was a pig found myself working the gears overtime just to keep her happy. Don't get me wrong it had loads of power and would put a smile on your face once you got a lick on but for everyday rising conditions in and around the city I hated it. Now on a Bandit 1250GT which in my view is vastly superior to both those bikes in every way.

If it was my money I wouldnt buy either the VStorm or the NT ever again

The low down problems you mentioned with the vstrom 1000 is very well known. A simple TRE mod from healtech completely changes the bike low down by telling the ECU you are always in 5th gear. Makes the bike a peach to drive at any rev range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

goodlad wrote: »
    The low down problems you mentioned with the vstrom 1000 is very well known. A simple TRE mod from healtech completely changes the bike low down by telling the ECU you are always in 5th gear. Makes the bike a peach to drive at any rev range.

Bike came with that mod as well as a set of akrapovic cans, still wasn't great but yes I disconnected the TRE and it was a hell of a lot lumpier alright. Just wasn't my cup of tea don't think id go with a twin again the Suzuki was my second after I had a 2002 RSV 1000 many moons ago and didn't like it either.

Ah yeah the cans were probs throwing the bike all over the place.
    Lad probs slapped them on and didnt bother throwing in a Power Commander and having it mapped. I know my own strom was smooth at any rev range.

Although i have a blackbird now and just wish i got this instead of my vstrom in the first place.

Drifting off topic now though.

Advertisement