Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing

Options
  • 11-04-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi just wondering, has any one had any experience with this. I was on the housing list for 6 years. Eight years a go I got my house that i am currently living in. At the time I was down on the 3 bedroom house waiting list. when I was given the house that I am living in I was not made aware that it was a two bedroom house. I really did need a three bedroom house. I knew nothing about this till I had signed my lease and went to move in to my new house. The reason that I did nothing about this at the time was because i had bought paint for my house and had paid deposits off furniture for the new house. And I had also handed in my notice to my landlord at that time. I thought that I would just make do with what I had. At that time I had a five year old child and husband. My child at that time Had ADHD, asperger's syndrome and autism. My husband also has Muscular dystrophy, asthma and just recently has been diagnosed with diabetes. In 2013 his health started going down hill. He doesn't be very well a lot of the time. I contacted the council last year to see about getting oil heating put in my house. I husband does have a lot of hospital appointments and I thought that heating would be able for the cold mornings and evenings. I got the paper work filled up by my doctor and he said that we should be looking to be moved to a bigger house. This year the council sent an occupational therapist to see us both. She told us both that this house is totally unsuitable for our needs. My husband has problems with his balance and getting up out of the chair in the sitting room. The OT would like my husband to have a special chair that would tilt him out on to the floor and would also recline.Unfortunately our sitting room is so small we will not be able to get this. The OT has told the council that we need to be moved to a bungalow because she is very concerned about my husbands balance that he might fall down the stairs.Haven spoken to the housing officer myself she has told me that there is a long waiting list for people to be rehoused. I thought that there might be exceptional circumstances for people with long term illness. Has anybody else gone through this? If so how long did it take. I have spoken to my local TD but that wasn't very successful.

Comments

Advertisement