Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FedEx buys TNT

• 11-04-2015 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭

Does TNT still have a presence in Ireland?

This would be great if they accepted European pilots, but i don't believe that their union will allow them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

smurfjed wrote: »

This would be great if they accepted European pilots, but i don't believe that their union will allow them.

Regulations prohibit FedEx owning a European airline so the airline side of TNT will be sold off, this has been confirmed by both parties. The purchase was primarily made to access the TNT trucking and ground network in Europe. A great bit of business if it goes through and gets rubber stamped by the regulatory authorities which it more or less will guaranteed. A huge integration project so don't expect to see much change for 3 years plus..

Correct also, non American pilots cannot fly for FedEx, part of the Union agreement. Also as FedEx is the primary USPS contract holder, an agreement with USPS prohibits employment of FedEx pilots even if American if they have lived outside of the U.S. for a certain period of time, I forget what exactly.

All the TNT air cargo volume will enter the FedEx network so you will expect that side of the business to grow too, especially the FedEx European pilot domicile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Strumms wrote: »
    Regulations prohibit FedEx owning a European airline so the airline side of TNT will be sold off, this has been confirmed by both parties. The purchase was primarily made to access the TNT trucking and ground network in Europe. A great bit of business if it goes through and gets rubber stamped by the regulatory authorities which it more or less will guaranteed. A huge integration project so don't expect to see much change for 3 years plus..

Correct also, non American pilots cannot fly for FedEx, part of the Union agreement. Also as FedEx is the primary USPS contract holder, an agreement with USPS prohibits employment of FedEx pilots even if American if they have lived outside of the U.S. for a certain period of time, I forget what exactly.

All the TNT air cargo volume will enter the FedEx network so you will expect that side of the business to grow too, especially the FedEx European pilot domicile.

Is there a reason why the union won't allow non-Americans to fly for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Jobs for the boys!! I am amused at how they get to base US registered aircraft in Europe with American crews. I doubt that Air Contractors would get away with basing a 757 in JFK!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    US has always been heavily unionised. Anyone remember the uproar from the US flight crew unions when EI had their operation ex-IAD. They were using EI flight deck and US based cabin crew. (sorry, flight attendants!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jobs for the boys!! I am amused at how they get to base US registered aircraft in Europe with American crews. I doubt that Air Contractors would get away with basing a 757 in JFK!

jobs for the boys is just it... looking after self interests... US guys can come and fly within Europe alright... as some have done.. indeed for ACL and others and more besides actually has had some US pilots... ask them why it isnt reciprocated and you will get a whole lot of mumbles.. the FedEx pilot contract and these rules only covers aircraft above a certain certified MTOW... your Feeders and 737s 146s they aint interested in.. might dilute the payrate..

Incidently.. apparently for years they were in talks with the french authorities re: basing the pilots in Paris but were given the cold shoulder... CGN is where they are based now.. just the 75 guys till the 76 arrives in about two years to accompany the 75 with the rest of the dudes flown in from MEM for the airbus, MD and 777 trips... yeeee ****in haw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

Maybe we should stop using FedEx, if they fell we are not good enough to employ.. Let them stay in the USA ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

satguy wrote: »
    Maybe we should stop using FedEx, if they fell we are not good enough to employ.. Let them stay in the USA ..
    You could try that, but remember that they employ thousands of non-flying personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

TNT are currently hiring 777 rated Capts and FO's. Saw an advert from one of the recruitment companies for them.

Advertisement