Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest irish company to buy tablets, lptops cameras etc..

Options
  • 11-04-2015 7:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Wanting to buy a laptop, tablet, digi camera, external hard drive and 50 inch TV from an irish company. Cheapest that ive found is elara.ie but wanting to see if theres any other companies that could beat their prices. For 1350euro in argos.ie i can get these items but in elara they are coming in at 1579 with smaller tv and different make tablet. Can anyone recommend any stores outthere in ireland that could possibly match argos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

Even if you're supporting Argos, you are still supporting Irish jobs you know.
    And in fact supporting hundreds more than Elara.

At the price level you are talking about, Argos' margins/profits are poor enough.
    But at least they are a significant employer in Ireland.

I've counted the stores on their website. It's 40 stores.

If one assumes an average of 20 employees per store, then that's 800 employees in Ireland.
    They probably have a distribution center as well.. Probably another 40 employees.

So you won't support those 800+ employees simply because of what? Some misguided sense of fealty?

Actually, their website states that they employ around 1400 people in Ireland.

Do you also refuse to purchase from Tesco, Debenhams, M&S, Halfords, B&Q, Homebase etc?

I ask this because I am employed by a non-Irish company and it scares me to think what would happen if we had to follow this mentality.

Certainly, buy Irish products, buy Irish beef/lamb/vegetables/clothing etc. Look out for the labels.

But don't go off on some misguided tangent.

This country needs all the foreign direct investment it can get.

What you're saying by supporting the other company you mention above is that you'd prefer to have your money go to their fatcats, i.e their owners who can drive around in their flashy motors and their flashy homes wherever in Ireland rather than support the many thousands of average employees who are simply trying to make a living and lead regular lives.

Their online model is based around reducing employees, reducing (their own) costs and maximising profits for the owners. Same as any other company of course. But please do put things into perspective when it comes to the wider economy and things like the number of people on the live register.

If you look further into the company you mention above you will notice that there are two directors, one of whom has virtually no Web presence and the other is Singaporean or Chinese or other. And that at least one of their developers is Singaporean/Chinese or other as well. So perhaps not 100% Irish either. But then again, why should that matter at all?

I don't have a problem supporting any of these businesses. I've purchased from both on a regular basis. I don't have a problem with them and will continue to support both.

However, when taking a particular stance, please ensure you know what you are talking about.

In this case you seem misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

duckcfc wrote: »
    Wanting to buy a laptop, tablet, digi camera, external hard drive and 50 inch TV from an irish company. Cheapest that ive found is elara.ie but wanting to see if theres any other companies that could beat their prices. For 1350euro in argos.ie i can get these items but in elara they are coming in at 1579 with smaller tv and different make tablet. Can anyone recommend any stores outthere in ireland that could possibly match argos.

I'm with Wanderez above - how do you make out elara.ie to be 'Irish' but Argos is not even though clearly Argos employs way more Irish people than elara.ie ?

Do you have the slightest idea who owns elara.ie? I have purchased from them and have called to their place twice to pick up purchases, absolutely no problem dealing with them, just in case anyone thinks otherwise. Have also purchased from Argos on several occasions so no major preference either way but find your logic puzzling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

wandererz wrote: »
    Even if you're supporting Argos, you are still supporting Irish jobs you know.
    And in fact supporting hundreds more than Elara.

At the price level you are talking about, Argos' margins/profits are poor enough.
    But at least they are a significant employer in Ireland.

I've counted the stores on their website. It's 40 stores.

If one assumes an average of 20 employees per store, then that's 800 employees in Ireland.
    They probably have a distribution center as well.. Probably another 40 employees.

So you won't support those 800+ employees simply because of what? Some misguided sense of fealty?

Actually, their website states that they employ around 1400 people in Ireland.

Do you also refuse to purchase from Tesco, Debenhams, M&S, Halfords, B&Q, Homebase etc?

I ask this because I am employed by a non-Irish company and it scares me to think what would happen if we had to follow this mentality.

Certainly, buy Irish products, buy Irish beef/lamb/vegetables/clothing etc. Look out for the labels.

But don't go off on some misguided tangent.

This country needs all the foreign direct investment it can get.

What you're saying by supporting the other company you mention above is that you'd prefer to have your money go to their fatcats, i.e their owners who can drive around in their flashy motors and their flashy homes wherever in Ireland rather than support the many thousands of average employees who are simply trying to make a living and lead regular lives.

Their online model is based around reducing employees, reducing (their own) costs and maximising profits for the owners. Same as any other company of course. But please do put things into perspective when it comes to the wider economy and things like the number of people on the live register.

If you look further into the company you mention above you will notice that there are two directors, one of whom has virtually no Web presence and the other is Singaporean or Chinese or other. And that at least one of their developers is Singaporean/Chinese or other as well. So perhaps not 100% Irish either. But then again, why should that matter at all?

I don't have a problem supporting any of these businesses. I've purchased from both on a regular basis. I don't have a problem with them and will continue to support both.

However, when taking a particular stance, please ensure you know what you are talking about.

In this case you seem misguided.

I think your running away with yourself here. I'm looking an Irish company because I'm getting a grant of the government for items above and need a company to give me a quote with their vat number attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You didn't say that in your first post. That's a completely different reason than supporting Irish jobs.

Edit: I see you didn't say anything about supporting Irish jobs. Just an Irish company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Amazon.co.uk charge Irish VAT on sales to Ireland so if you contact them on online chat you may be able to get a quote with an Irish VAT number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think your running away with yourself here. I'm looking an Irish company because I'm getting a grant of the government for items above and need a company to give me a quote with their vat number attached.

I'm sure Argos can give you a quote if you ask, they must pay Irish VAT on their local sales. Under the Single Market (Maastricht Treaty), the Govt. can't discriminate against prospective suppliers because they're from other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

More to the point......how are you getting a government grant for all those goodies !!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soccercrew

ElNino wrote: »
    Amazon.co.uk charge Irish VAT on sales to Ireland so if you contact them on online chat you may be able to get a quote with an Irish VAT number.
    coylemj wrote: »
    I'm sure Argos can give you a quote if you ask, they must pay Irish VAT on their local sales. Under the Single Market (Maastricht Treaty), the Govt. can't discriminate against prospective suppliers because they're from other EU countries.

I to had a friend who was looking supplies from argos and they refused to give him a quote because he was setting up a business and getting a grant on the back to work enterprise allowance. I dont know if this is under the maastricht treaty but they defo refused. Same might be said for amazon uk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

More to the point......how are you getting a government grant for all those goodies !!
    ;)

Same as soccercrew mentioned. On the BTWEA, I get 2500 grant for starting up a business if on dole for more than 2 years. Great incentive to get off m hole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A grant you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Same as soccercrew mentioned. On the BTWEA, I get 2500 grant for starting up a business if on dole for more than 2 years. Great incentive to get off m hole

Didn't you get a grant already for your construction business? Can you get 2 grants??

Advertisement