Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'train wreck' threads

Options
  • 11-04-2015 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

this term is bandied about a lot on the site by moderators to refer to certain threads , I just wanted clarification on what constitutes such a thread, in that is a 'train wreck'' ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Robsweezie wrote: »
    this term is bandied about a lot on the site by moderators to refer to certain threads , I just wanted clarification on what constitutes such a thread, in that is a 'train wreck'' ?

Everybody off topic sniping at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Generally speaking it would be a thread that has become such a mess through trolling/nit-picking/off-topicness/whatever, that it has gone beyond the point of being worthwhile recovering. The same term is also used regular members & is not exclusively a mod term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I've seen it used to describe threads or things in general that are incapable of being fixed.
    Talking about a thread being a train wreck would mean it's not capable of being salvaged. IE the last fifty posts are just trolling, attacking the poster and not the posts, off topic, etc.

I've never used the term, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A thread, which has in effect, gone off the rails.

What that means can be anything really, but in general it means that not only has the thread gone completely off the original topic, but there are a small number of posters continually relaying the same points back and forth at one another and saying nothing new. In short, it's left the tracks and is going nowhere.

On AH in particular, topics often veer massively off topic, but while there's interesting and progressive discussion going on, it's usually left sit. AH having its roots in being a virtual pub, there's nothing wrong with a single thread meandering around different topics provided the content remains interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

A train wreck thread is one where somebody posts about some tragedy and everyone just comments "RIP" and those that don't get banned and/or infracted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Normally a good indicator for a train wreck thread will be that, within the first few posts, it will have someone saying "gets popcorn" or an amusing gif or pic to illustrate same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Find a popular controversial Youtube video, read the comments section, be thankful for mods existing.

Advertisement