Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good cheap bicycle for beginner

• 11-04-2015 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, I'm looking to buy a cheap bike, either second hand or new. Just wondering what brands and models you'd recommend for a beginner. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey lads, I'm looking to buy a cheap bike, either second hand or new. Just wondering what brands and models you'd recommend for a beginner. Thanks

What do you hope to do with the bike and what sort of budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

What do you hope to do with the bike and what sort of budget?

Not sure at the moment, I might use it to cycle to college but the main reaosn I want to get one is so I can cycle around on dry days and get some much needed exercise. Budgetwise I'd be hoping to spend less than 300 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Where do you plan to cycle and how far?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Where do you plan to cycle and how far?

I'd say the furthest I would cycle would be about 8km into the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Something along the lines of this should do for short city spins if you want to go a bit further it would be fine also.

http://www.adverts.ie/7499625

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Local bike shops often have second hand bikes available as well, which are more likely to be serviced prior to sale. While adverts.ie and donedeal.ie can often provide better value, there's also a fair number of dodgy bikes out there, so I'd look for proof of ownership before handing over any cash.

For €300 for a second hand commuter, I'd be looking for a flat bar bike in very good nick from one of the bigger names such as Giant, Trek, Cube, Lapierre, etc... No suspension forks, probably a 27 speed drive train, puncture resistant tyres, not too heavy ( < 13kg), no more than five years old. I'd also look for a receipt from a bike shop that included a frame number and check the number. I'd also allow a few quid for a good lock if your planning on cycling in the city centre.

That Giant FC3 at €275 linked by iwillhtfu seems pretty much exactly what your after, and there's plenty of 2nd hand hybrids out there.

You'd be better off getting one without front fork Suspension. At your budget front fork suspension will only be cheap and an added weight that you don't need.

The same rule applies for rear suspension

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You'd be better off getting one without front fork Suspension. At your budget front fork suspension will only be cheap and an added weight that you don't need.

Thanks! I'm new to this so not really sure what a front fork is but I'll keep a lookout.

Thanks! I'm new to this so not really sure what a front fork is but I'll keep a lookout.

Sorry meant the suspension on the front forks if you look at the one I posted the front forks (part that attaches to the front wheel and allows steering) is one piece. The one you linked had a shock that will do little but add weight.

• Advertisement

It looks like a nice clean bike alright. I've never been on one but I've heard good reports on giant hybrids.

The extras would save you having to shell out anymore money. They're probably worth €100-150 alone although the helmet may not be your size and make sure theres no damage to it. I assume by upgraded tubes he means tyres.

If you got it for around €400 I'd consider it a bargain might be a bit rich at €500. The 2015 model can be bought for €749

Another to consider but as mentioned above. Don't be afraid to ask awkward questions where it was bought/receipt/reason for selling. Etc.

You don't want to buy a stolen bike and you don't want to end up getting stung for the bill if the owner spots you on it and reports it.

http://touch.adverts.ie/adphotos.php?item_id=7660530

This could be a winner tbh.

http://www.adverts.ie/7609220

Receipt And the fact it's got it's own wall hanger shows its been looked after.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    This could be a winner tbh.

http://www.adverts.ie/7609220

Receipt And the fact it's got it's own wall hanger shows its been looked after.

Thanks, would 450 be a good price there or should I haggle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/model/rapid.4/20132/79375/

600 in the Giant Store and it looks brand new so up to you, wont kill you to go for 400 then 420 and see first. Maybe consider a roadbike though if you get addicted you might regret being stuck with a hybrid, I was asking the exact same questions a while ago, so glad I went with the Giant Defy 4, its so fast and climbs hills like a goat. Then again you'll probably have no problem selling that for what you paid for it so up to you. Dont forget about biketowork either and make sure its the right size, that makes a huge difference.

Always haggle on a price but do it politely.

He hasn't had any good offers in a while test the water with a low offer and see how it goes.

The rapid 4 is around €550 new in cycle superstore.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Advertisement