Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

chain lock

• 11-04-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here bought one of the lock chains on offer in Aldi at the moment?
    Specifically has anyone experienced one of them being cut? With the fabric cover, it's hard to see what type of actual chain is used.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Big bolt cutters busts the chain easy, very poor quality. Like with all their bike gear their helmets be better off with a fucking sauce pan on your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Mnn, OK then. Thanks for that. Will make up one of my own so.
    It's a pity no manufacturer supplies a chain covered with that fabric used in Chainsaw trousers.
    Would jam up an angle grinder in a split second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

A grinder would cut through that material like butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Like with all their bike gear their helmets be better off with a fucking sauce pan on your head.

Jaysus dont say that on here.....there be rivers of blood!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Big bolt cutters busts the chain easy, very poor quality. Like with all their bike gear their helmets be better off with a fucking sauce pan on your head.

:rolleyes: They meet the legal requirements which in the EU are pretty strict, much more so than in the US and most other places.
    No lid can guarantee your survival in an impact it depends on what you hit and how. Any impact above 20km/h can potentially kill.
    Fit and fastening the strap properly is more important than how much the lid cost.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Im amazed at how crap their gear is supposed to be?
    Didnt Aldis latest bike clothing get excellent reviews? people used to go about with zero gear and some still do, I cant see how their stuff can be any worse than runners and jeans which plenty seem to ride in? or significantly different to other gear, Ive used mine in all weather and have had no leaks at all. As mentioned the lids pass some german/eu standard?

I have one of their older chains which is bigger and heavier than the latest one that was being sold, Im tempted to test it myself, till any replacement, hopefully its not made out of butter, its in line with the price of my bike but it seems no matter how far you go in terms of security quality, it may still be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Any chain is better than no chain. And 3 chains is better than one. You can deter the opportunist chancers.

Re the quality of ALDI bike gear, ALDI is a German company and the Germans would have better regulation than a lot of countries, TUV approved and all that.

I looked at the jacket they had for €99 (don't need one) and the weight of it was incredible, some serious chunky protection... same for the trousers. I didn't like the look or feel of the €40 boots.

If it fits right, feels comfortable and suits your budget and you can get over the snob factor there's nothing wrong with ALDI bike gear IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought two of the Aldi chains - they are not very good. A peak inside the kocking mechanism does not look very strong. I took one of them back and used the other on my mountain bike. Get something decent - I have an Oxford Monster - does the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have an oxford monster, its for commuting. But i wouldnt trust it as my overnight lock. I have the 19mm Almax for over night when it needs to stand up for a bit of time.

Also have the monster and its a pure deterrent only! Hoping the big heavy look throw scumbags off.....its a pretty average lock TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Don't forget lads, even if you have a crane chain on there - they can always screw of the wheel pretty quickly and throw the bike in the back of a van. It's on a deterrent, so have several levels of it. Disc Lock, Brake lock, big chain - if they say all 3 they would move on to something easier.

Yeah back wheel is the way to go never the front if you can help it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

through the frame, or swingarm even better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

The chain is not to bad for the money, I think you can get through any of the locks with a bolt cutters unless you spend a few hundert on them so you may as well buy this then one of the fancy brands

Advertisement