Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curing pig cheeks or guanciale

Options
  • 11-04-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Something I've never done before is curing, so I'm open to advice.
    Apparently fantastic in sauces, carbonara and plain old frying. The photo is of day1 of the curing process, I'm now on day six.

http://youtu.be/hEGwYvyIyhI

Edit - I bought both cheeks for €3 from my local butcher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Excellent. I love guanciale. I've you've never had it then you've never had proper carbonara in my opinion. After my college exams, I'll definitely give this a go. Please let us know how it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Day three

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Looking good ! is it ready tomorrow then?

After the wash down and dry and a wee trim which I should have done the start.

Jezek wrote: »
    Looking good ! is it ready tomorrow then?

Yea I suppose but I'll give it a little bit time longer.

Edit photo just taken

• Advertisement

I've cooked off the cheek. Not overly impressed with my effort, so I may start again (only €3)
    Faults -

Don't think I trimmed it down enough pre curing, not removing enough of the tougher bits of fat. Also the skin I feel should have gone at the start.
    Didn't wash the salt off enough, maybe a soak for 30mins would be an idea (thoughts?)

It's all hit and miss at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm sure I has to trim the skin off the last time I bought a lump in an Italian deli - and the whole lot seemed a lot dryer - so I dunno how long it'd been hung for to air dry or whatever - but fair dues - good effort -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I have the River Cottage book at home, will post up the guanciale method when I get a chance.

I've done pork belly (yum !) and loin (still drying) for rashers and will do coppa (shoulder/neck muscle) and guanciale (cheek) next.

After that, it'll be a leg of lamb or something for the craic !

Also, tuna loin cures and dries really nicely.
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I totally agree with you about the saltiness, I found it can be a bit hit-and-miss initially to get a feel for how long to leave the cut of meat in the salt to get the flavour you like. A soak before cooking will definitely tone it down a bit. I used to cure pork belly for 7 days but I find 4-5 days plenty now for my taste.

A tip I got from my Dad was to score the skin with a stanley knife before applying the salt, like you would if you were making crackling on a roast. This lets you rub the salt in really well and it contacts the meat and fat a lot better from both sides. You can push and rub the salt into the slits. I found this gave me a much more even cure. I would be reluctant to cut all the skin off initially, I love the odd strip of cured belly fried on a dry pan, complete with crispy salty skin!

Have fun figuring out what works best for you. I'm definitely going to go and get a few cheeks to get cracking on after reading this thread :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Once the cure process is over do you have to cook it or can it be eaten raw?

• Advertisement

Winty wrote: »
    Once the cure process is over do you have to cook it or can it be eaten raw?

Depends on which cut you cure. Have a look at River Cottage on YouTube Steve Lamb

I totally agree with you about the saltiness, I found it can be a bit hit-and-miss initially to get a feel for how long to leave the cut of meat in the salt to get the flavour you like. A soak before cooking will definitely tone it down a bit. I used to cure pork belly for 7 days but I find 4-5 days plenty now for my taste.

A tip I got from my Dad was to score the skin with a stanley knife before applying the salt, like you would if you were making crackling on a roast. This lets you rub the salt in really well and it contacts the meat and fat a lot better from both sides. You can push and rub the salt into the slits. I found this gave me a much more even cure. I would be reluctant to cut all the skin off initially, I love the odd strip of cured belly fried on a dry pan, complete with crispy salty skin!

Have fun figuring out what works best for you. I'm definitely going to go and get a few cheeks to get cracking on after reading this thread :-)

As a said earlier I cured two cheeks. One has been "used", the other I've decided to take from the fridge and I'm going to let it dry out for the next 4/6 weeks.
    I'm thinking about trying pancetta. I'll pick up a large pork belly and do some along with bacon :)

Any tips on best way to slice the raw pork belly into rashers after curing ?

I'm using a carving knife (like what they use in carverys for the roasts) which is long and thin and it does OK. The chef's knife leaves the slices a bit too thick.

I'm also cutting it on the meat side and then using a smaller, sharper knife to finish cutting at the skin.

F.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Any tips on best way to slice the raw pork belly into rashers after curing ?

I'm using a carving knife (like what they use in carverys for the roasts) which is long and thin and it does OK. The chef's knife leaves the slices a bit too thick.

I'm also cutting it on the meat side and then using a smaller, sharper knife to finish cutting at the skin.

F.

I was going to ask my butcher to do it on his machine. I did buy it from him so let's hope..

Day 2 curing of the pancetta

Day 2 curing of the Bacon

Guanciale by River Cottage
    Leave skin on (remove hairs etc) and remove lymph nodes.
    Cure for 3days per 500g
    Rinse well and hang to dry for 4-5 weeks.

Guanciale by River Cottage
    Leave skin on (remove hairs etc) and remove lymph nodes.
    Cure for 3days per 500g
    Rinse well and hang to dry for 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for that. Apparently lymph nodes add a different flavor...
    Ok this photo is three weeks

..and from the other side

Looking good. Had some nice rashers this morning from the loin. Very tasty but too salty - will rinse (and dry) it before cooking next time.

• Advertisement

Good to know. I might soak mine for 30mins on Monday..

Update - I'm really enjoying the curing. I've decided to build myself a curing chamber over the next few weeks, hopefully it'll improve the process

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elmpark

Very interesting thread. I've never cured anything, but want to give it a go. What recipe / cut have people had most success with?

Elmpark wrote: »
    Very interesting thread. I've never cured anything, but want to give it a go. What recipe / cut have people had most success with?

I like yourself am a curing virgin. Check out River Cottage on YouTube with Steve Lamb, also there plenty of others there with this interest on YouTube

Elmpark wrote: »

Starting with smaller cuts is the easiest.

Pork belly, duck breast, tuna loin all nice and simple.

Pork loin gives back rashers and I've just picked up a coppa which I'll cure tonight. Next will be the cheek and then looking to do some beef and ultimatley a whole leg (maybe lamb or goat).

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elmpark

Starting with smaller cuts is the easiest.

Pork belly, duck breast, tuna loin all nice and simple.

Pork loin gives back rashers and I've just picked up a coppa which I'll cure tonight. Next will be the cheek and then looking to do some beef and ultimatley a whole leg (maybe lamb or goat).

F.

Nice one, thanks! I'll get a bit of pork belly at the weekend and give it a go.

Coppa turned out nice.

Even better, the wife and kids have eaten it, winner all round !

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Coppa turned out nice.

Even better, the wife and kids have eaten it, winner all round !

F.

That looks savage;)

Curing fridge today.
    Lamb leg, 3 months drying at this stage, will be lovely for Xmas. Coppa, braesola and two pancetta. Cooked a bit of one pancetta today, lovely ! Other one will be eaten uncooked.
    Rack of back rashers will be ready for next week.
    F.

A nice easy one for anyone looking to try this out.

I cured a side of salmon for Christmas, ended up with a nice beetroot cured gravalax which is somewhere between sashimi and smoked salmon in terms of texture. It got very good reviews and very easy to make.

There's plenty of guides out there, think I looked at the Jamie Oliver one. Used salt, sugar, absinthe and grated beetroot. Rub it all over the salmon, wrap in clingfilm, place in container and stick it in the fridge for 2 days.
    Rinse off the cure and pop it back in the fridge for a day or two. Lovely !

F.

• Advertisement

A nice easy one for anyone looking to try this out.

I cured a side of salmon for Christmas, ended up with a nice beetroot cured gravalax which is somewhere between sashimi and smoked salmon in terms of texture. It got very good reviews and very easy to make.

There's plenty of guides out there, think I looked at the Jamie Oliver one. Used salt, sugar, absinthe and grated beetroot. Rub it all over the salmon, wrap in clingfilm, place in container and stick it in the fridge for 2 days.
    Rinse off the cure and pop it back in the fridge for a day or two. Lovely !

F.

Sounds fantastic. I must get my finger oot..

Advertisement