Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage Tax on '87 jeep???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

The vintage tax disc has the 1987 reg on it. So it must be a 1984 Build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

1984 chassis

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

How does that work then?

I'v a December 1988 built Sierra that wasn't registered until 1990.
    Does that mean I can get Vintage tax in 2018 instead of 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's a tad fishy but perfectly possible given the Meccano nature of Land Rovers. However, I reckon it's a post 94 300tdi on an older number. Done to avoid over €1000 road tax as a pre 2010 110CSW can't be commercial.

Also if it was 84 chassis it should be on 84 plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

it also has leyland on the disc,odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

101sean wrote: »
    It's a tad fishy but perfectly possible given the Meccano nature of Land Rovers. However, I reckon it's a post 94 300tdi on an older number. Done to avoid over €1000 road tax as a pre 2010 110CSW can't be commercial.

Also if it was 84 chassis it should be on 84 plates.

Exactly!!!

It's obviously a new body on an older chassis (I hope?!) ....I have no issue with that. But...

Why did the motor tax office issue 'Vintage Tax' to a 1987 registration number???
    (Cartell check = "Make: Leyland, Model: Unknown, Engine : 2500")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I'd say it was a mistake. Before 1987 you got the next number in line. from 1987 on the practice was to get the year of build or first registered outside the state as your reg year.
    I remember 1987 well and I remember second hand cars in that year getting 84, 85,etc...... nothing dubious about it just a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

It's a white/blue Leyland DAF according to mywheels. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

A point to note: the practice of issuing imports with the next "new" reg in the queue was discontinued with the old reg system at the end of 1986, and was not the practice at that (Dec '87) time - in fact, I still remember that even on the first week of the new system, in Jan '87, I spotted (my first sighting of) an import - 86-CN-2, a yellow Suzuki Super-Carry van.

Since 1-1-87, every previously-registered vehicle imported has (or should have) been issued a reg related to the year it was first registered outside Irl, so this LR should have been given an 84-D-nnnn reg if it was imported on 31-12-87.

If it is an '84 vehicle, entitled to Vin/Vet tax, then it should either have an 84-D-nnnn reg (imported after 1-1-87) or have an old reg between '84 and Dec '86, eg: LZG nnn.

As to why the tax disc is showing an 87 reg with Vin/Vet tax rate, there has been an error at the registration office - it should be an 84-D reg (likely) - or it has been changed to Vin/Vet too soon (doubtful in today's computerised, revenue-protection times).

^^^^ the plot thickens! Something just not right with this jeep...
    Fake tax disc??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Well the ad is gone now.

magentis wrote: »
    Well the ad is gone now.

Maybe we spooked him/her?!;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

I wouldn't put it past being a mistake by the tax office at the time if it was imported just after the switchover to the new system - I distinctly remember seeing a MK5 Cortina with an '88 WH' reg back in the late eighties/early nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

There are at least two Porsche 911's of 1980 vintage going around on 87 plates and it was a mistake made By the tax office
    during the change over at that time !

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When I put the reg in to Motortax.ie the rate for the Jeep was vintage so it was officially registered by someone in the motor tax office as a vintage vehicle. Not sure if it can be done but I was under the assumption that the registration plate would determine the age.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html
    A 'vintage' vehicle for motor taxation purposes is a vehicle that is 30 or more years old. In determining whether or not the vehicle qualifies for 'vintage' status - the chassis number of the vehicle and the vehicle registration book/vehicle registration certificate must clearly display the age of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

It's not absolutely definite that it's a mistake by the tax Office.

The number was based on the date of first registration, not the date of manufacture - I don't know if that's still the case. I know of two cases.

One was a Mk1 gti that had been imported new for track use, but was subsequently sold on and registered for the road. It received a new plate; 87 IIRC.

In the other case it was a GMC pickup previously owned by the US Air Force and used solely on an air base in Germany. Bought at auction and imported here. Can't remember the exact details, but it may have been an 84 that received a 90s plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

So is it possible it was build in 1985 or older and not registered until 1987?

But still received vintage tax as it's 30 years old.

DakarVert wrote: »
    So is it possible it was build in 1985 or older and not registered until 1987?

But still received vintage tax as it's 30 years old.

I know of a 1981 car which was registered here in 1986 (and got a 'ZG' registration number) and is taxed as vintage...which is fair enough on both counts ..1981/1986. But a 1987 registered vehicle on vintage tax???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

Built in 1984 went onto a garage plate and then was registered for new owner in 1987

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Alan Ashe

Date of manufacture, IF PROVEN, will assure vintage tax is applicable on a vehicle, even if it is first registered in 2015! That's an extreme case, but personally, I've owned an old Cruiser that was never registered, ever. Date of manufacture was 1985, but it never had a number plate or logbook. Sounds dodgy I know but I checked up on it. Unfortunately, the rust got to her before I could though. I cannot stress the proven part enough though. Tax office and Revenue said I needed the proof, which I obtained from a friend of mine from the States who works in Toyota, Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Alan Ashe

Such a pity by the way, such a lovely vehicle, (in its day), never to touch a road. And funnily enough, it now lives in Africa!!!

Advertisement