Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice?

• 11-04-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48

Hi guys, I'm in TY right now and I am having a hard time trying to decide on my subjects. Below I will put a list of what I'm interested in choosing for myself and I was hoping that I could get some reviews or advice on the subjects on the list.

Definite subjects
    Geography and agricultral science

Still to decide
    1.My science choice : Physics/Chemistry
    2.DCG
    3.Religion
    4.Engineering
    5.French
    6.Economics
    7.History

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

gerard98 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm in TY right now and I am having a hard time trying to decide on my subjects. Below I will put a list of what I'm interested in choosing for myself and I was hoping that I could get some reviews or advice on the subjects on the list.

Definite subjects

Still to decide
    2.DCG
    3.Religion
    4.Engineering
    5.French
    6.Economics
    7.History

Thanks in advance.

What did you get on your JC for history and french?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I loved history - if you're good at English and have an interest in history as a subject it can be a nice choice. It is a lot of writing though so if English and essays aren't your strongest suit you might struggle with it! I got a B1 in HL with fairly moderate studying in the two months before the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Economics definitely.. that's your business subject sorted
    You have a science subject already but if science is your thing then physics
    French as most uni's require it
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 gerard98

What did you get on your JC for history and french?
    I did honours in both subjects and recieved a B grade in History and a C grade in French.

Rest of the results. All taken at honours except for Irish.
    Science :A
    Geography :A
    Technical graphics :B
    Metalwork :B
    English :B
    Religion :B
    Maths :B
    Irish :B
    History :B
    Cspe :C
    French :C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

French so you have the option of university, even if it isn't in your thoughts right now it might be in a few years, and you will regret not having the option (like I did!)
    It also depends what you like, what your good at. I picked history because I loved it and economics because I was good at it.
    Engineering & Economics are good solid options that could cover a variety of college courses/careers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I did honours in both subjects and recieved a B grade in History and a C grade in French.

Rest of the results. All taken at honours except for Irish.
    Science :A
    Geography :A
    Technical graphics :B
    Metalwork :B
    English :B
    Religion :B
    Maths :B
    Irish :B
    History :B
    Cspe :C
    French :C

If you're decent at maths, and enjoy the subject, then I suggest going with engineering and physics. French would also be a great choice, because a lot of universities require an European language (excluding Irish).

I heard economics is a short course, only takes a year to cover and most of it is just learning definitions off. Might be a nice subject if you decide to do french and physics, as them two would require a lot of work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Engineering, Physics and DCG would be a nice cluster of subjects if you have an interest in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

If you enjoyed TG for the JC, then I'd advise keeping DCG. 40 percent project on solidworks is a great help for many, and generally students have a great enthusiasm for that part of the subject. Gets them away from books. The drawing part is quite easy to grasp for those who like the subject. Construction or Engineering would work quite well alongside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

Definite subjects

Still to decide
    2.DCG
    3.Religion
    4.Engineering
    5.French
    6.Economics
    7.History

Thanks in advance.

Having done 3 LCs I'll try and help (especially in regards to the exam paper) but I can only comment on the subjects I know :)

I've done both physics and chemistry. Personally, I found chemistry much easier and more interesting. The paper is very defined. You more or less know what is question will be on (for example: in the experiments question there will always be one organic, one titration and one of the "other" experiments). I think it's easier to do well in. Having said that, I'm not sure if the course has changed slightly this year? Could potentially make it more difficult.

You need a foreign language to go to a university. My advice would definitely be to do French. Lovely language, go to France for a month if you can because it helps so much. The oral is easy enough just be sure to do a document :) it's a life saver if you get a little nervous. The written paper is grand out too, there is often an odd question in it though but it's easily avoided because there's a good choice of questions. Do French just to keep your options open.

As for economics, you just can't go wrong. I did it in a year and got an A1. If you don't like it, it's easy to rote learn. It's just a lovely subject. Great choice of questions on the paper. The concepts aren't difficult. The questions on exam papers aren't difficult. If you're looking for good results they're very achievable in this subject :)

Hope that helps, best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Keep in mind that UL, DCU and the ITs don't require a European language for most of their courses so although you may have limited options, there are still plenty of excellent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 gerard98

To everyone who replied to this thanks for the help and info. If you were wondering what subjects I choose they were

1st choice : Geography
    2nd choice : Physics
    3rd choice : Chemistry
    4th choice : DCG

1st reserve : French
    2nd reserve : Economics

Im happy with what I choose so far but I might ask to swap french to my 4th choice instead.
    Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ShaneCliff

Throwing my 2 cents in: I strongly advise any lad who did well in Metal Work, (A,B) in the JC to do Engineering or even if they just have an interest in the subject. We had the theory finished for start of last September and did practical work just up to last week with the 6 hour practical. It's a fantastic break from theory based subjects, as it's so hands on. I'm only doing it for the points, hopefully an A1. Engineering links in very well with Physics, or DCG if you want to draw up your project portfolio with Solidworks/CAD.

Advertisement