Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fruit tree to plant?

• 11-04-2015 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of planting a fruit tree in my parents' front garden. It's south facing and has sun all day. I'd be planting it in the lawn, which is currently a bit mossy. Drainage isn't exactly fantastic. Was thinking of a conference pear tree? Ideally want something full size, there's plenty of space all around where I'm thinking of putting it. I'm not a big fan of apples :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭macraignil

Conference pear seems like a good choice. Mine are starting to flower now and the older one I planted in my parent's garden had about fifty nice tasting pears on it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

macraignil wrote: »
    Conference pear seems like a good choice. Mine are starting to flower now and the older one I planted in my parent's garden had about fifty nice tasting pears on it last year.

Have you planted another pear with them for pollination?
    I always thought there were certain 'pairings' required to pollinate pears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭macraignil

johnb25 wrote: »

I have a beurre hardy pear variety growing close to the conference pear in my parents garden which might help with pollination. I have read that conference is one of the few types of pear that is self fertile. Maybe there are more pears if there is some cross pollination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Victoria plum would be nice too, self fertile also.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Thanks for the suggestions. Might go with both :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭worded

Mouth water here at the thoughts of picking ....

If I may jump in on this I'm looking for similar suggestions

Fruit tree that will peep over a 6 ft high wall, so first 6 ft gets 0 sun and some light ( get plenty of sun after 6ft ) and grow to a max of say 12 ft so I can harvest fruit.

Any ideas appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭worded

Out of interest, do plum trees attract loads of wasps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

worded wrote: »
    Out of interest, do plum trees attract loads of wasps ?

We had a plum tree here (think it was a Victoria plum tree) and they were delicious tasting but yes there was lots of wasps around and in the fruit when they fell or ripened. The plums were really tasty though I have to say. Made jams, etc with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭josip

johnb25 wrote: »

Conference Pears are self pollinating.
    We have one and got fruit from it last year.
    Perhaps a nearby neighbour has a pollinator but I don't think so.

Advertisement