Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best plants to compliment elder tree

• 11-04-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Recently moved into new house and am attempting some refurb on the garden.

In a sunny corner there is a small high raised bed, with wooden seating in front. The garden itself is quite small, courtyard situation.

There is an elder tree in the middle which I don't want to get into moving. But all the plants around are just a mush mash are all clashing against each other. If I was to remove smaller plants and leave the elder to work around, what would best to compliment the elder? It's a fairly uninspiring tree in itself.but I like contemporary planting, maybe evergreen, but I'm open to suggestions.

The bed is triangular, 2.4 metres wide and 1.5 metres deep at the furthest part.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Hi.

Recently moved into new house and am attempting some refurb on the garden.

In a sunny corner there is a small high raised bed, with wooden seating in front. The garden itself is quite small, courtyard situation.

There is an elder tree in the middle which I don't want to get into moving. But all the plants around are just a mush mash are all clashing against each other. If I was to remove smaller plants and leave the elder to work around, what would best to compliment the elder? It's a fairly uninspiring tree in itself.but I like contemporary planting, maybe evergreen, but I'm open to suggestions.

The bed is triangular, 2.4 metres wide and 1.5 metres deep at the furthest part.

Any help appreciated

Is it a common wild elder a purple or golden one? Common elder would have been a curious selection for the middle of a bed imo.

Anyway, I'd keep it simple with mass plant something like ground cover rosemary. This would be fragrant when brushed against, evergreen and has pretty blue flowers.

You would also have the makings of elderflower and rosemary wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

lk67 wrote: »
    Is it a common wild elder a purple or golden one? Common elder would have been a curious selection for the middle of a bed imo.

Anyway, I'd keep it simple with mass plant something like ground cover rosemary. This would be fragrant when brushed against, evergreen and has pretty blue flowers.

You would also have the makings of elderflower and rosemary wine!

Yes curious selection is the operative term for lots of things here, not just in the garden! Apparently it just popped up and they let it continue to grow. It does look like a common elder.

If I was to go the whole hog and remove it, I would like plant a pine of some sort as I think it would suit the court yard feel. The area is quite small as I said, approx 4.5metres x 7.5m. Is there a suitable variety that doesn't get too big and looks interesting? I like pines with large needles. I'm guessing it wouldn't want to get more than 3 - 4metres so to keep some scale with the garden.

Thanks

Advertisement