Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone/internet for France trip?

Options
  • 11-04-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I hope I am posting in the right place.
    I will be in France for a over 3 weeks in the summer. I am trying to figure out what is the cheapest way to have mobile / internet access while there.
    My phone is a work one and is a basic calls only package. Its with Vodafone. If I use internet while away it will be expensive sooo...
    I'm wondering if anyone can advise what's my best options?
    Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Only wrote: »
    I hope I am posting in the right place.
    I will be in France for a over 3 weeks in the summer. I am trying to figure out what is the cheapest way to have mobile / internet access while there.
    My phone is a work one and is a basic calls only package. Its with Vodafone. If I use internet while away it will be expensive sooo...
    I'm wondering if anyone can advise what's my best options?
    Tia

You could get a Meteor PAYG SIM. They offer "roam-like-home" feature for voice and text throughout Europe - with free incoming calls. They give you a data allowance of 50MB per day for 99c for each day that you require data. However, you are probably better off going for their roaming data add-on for €14.99 which will give you up to 1GB in 30 day period.

http://www.meteor.ie/roaming/#/europe_zone_1/france

You could also try to get a local SIM in France - best network is Orange. However, it is a huge ordeal to get a SIM in France - and it will probably end up costing you more than a Meteor PAYG SIM. Vodafone also offer a Roam-like-home deal for €2.99 per day - but 3 weeks will cost you €63 - more than 4 times the cost of Meteor!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Orange Dongle. Brilliant, worked as a wifi for phone and iPad. You buy whatever package you think you will need. And you can top it up.

You might need to speak a bit of Francais depending on where you are, but it can be done in any Orange outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Thanks guys!
    I'm afraid I don't speak French very well (it's our first trip and it will be dictionary use all the way I'm thinking :o )so not sure how the dongle wold work out ... would the dongle just give internet access though and no calls?
    Meteor might be a better option ... do I need one of the regular packages or is there a special 'roam like home' package ... I can't see it on the site? .. If its a regular package would the data on that work abroad also or not?
    Sorry for silly Qs

Thanks guys!
    I'm afraid I don't speak French very well (it's our first trip and it will be dictionary use all the way I'm thinking :o )so not sure how the dongle wold work out ... would the dongle just give internet access though and no calls?
    Meteor might be a better option ... do I need one of the regular packages or is there a special 'roam like home' package ... I can't see it on the site? .. If its a regular package would the data on that work abroad also or not?
    Sorry for silly Qs

I used the dongle for Viber and Skype calls on the iPhone/iPad. We have a rule in our family that you only use Wattsapp or texts when we are abroad, or the VOIPs, unless it's an emergency of course!

Looks to me you are looking for calls when out and about, so maybe the dongle is not exactly what you need.

Sorry if I misled you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

I used the dongle for Viber and Skype calls on the iPhone/iPad. We have a rule in our family that you only use Wattsapp or texts when we are abroad, or the VOIPs, unless it's an emergency of course!

Looks to me you are looking for calls when out and about, so maybe the dongle is not exactly what you need.

Sorry if I misled you there!

Not at all Spanish Eyes - I'm very grateful for all advices and ideas! The main thing I will need to call is OH and I will most likely be split with the kids and its to meet up etc. I know we can use texts and mainly will but we will be going to Disney and will def need calls then ... OH isn't the greatest at realising he has received a text.
    For interest sake can I ask do you have any idea of the rough cost of a dongle?

Not at all Spanish Eyes - I'm very grateful for all advices and ideas! The main thing I will need to call is OH and I will most likely be split with the kids and its to meet up etc. I know we can use texts and mainly will but we will be going to Disney and will def need calls then ... OH isn't the greatest at realising he has received a text.
    For interest sake can I ask do you have any idea of the rough cost of a dongle?

I can't remember exactly but I think I paid €20 and it lasted the week. You are going for three weeks so that could work out a bit hefty! But the Dongle is mobile, so works anywhere you can get an internet signal. Mobile WiFi! That was great.

Have you considered getting Walkie Talkies for places like Disney? you can get them now with great ranges, and the kids love them. Great for calling them in for their dinner when they are around the pool or wherever aswell. Handy for them if they get lost too! No charge.... except the initial cost, but re usable. We have used them very successfully in the past. Just a suggestion.

Other than that, you will have to get your OH to put the phone on both vibrate AND tone, and put the volume to its top, and make SURE he checks the phone when you are apart. We have gone so far as to ring the phone for a few rings, hang up, and then send a text! For the dozy folk amongst us, lol. Give him his instructions!!

Hope you have a lovely trip.

Some others will more than likely come along and help further.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Thanks guys!
    Sorry for silly Qs

The Roam-like-home option on Meteor allows you to use your phone as if you were at home (but with a lower limit on data), so you would need a PAYG base-plan before you could add the add-on. This will give voice & text as per your base-plan, and data up to 50MB per day for 99c. There is a basic data only base-plan for €10 per month (7.5GB per month in Ireland). If you add the 1GB EU data add-on, you would get 1GB during your 3 weeks in France. On all plans, you also get 400 free webtexts with Meteor - which can be used just like normal texts using the MyMeteor app on a smartphone. You can also receive calls and texts free when roaming in Europe with Meteor. You could use Skype or Viber if you want outgoing voice on the data only base-plan. If you want a regular base-plan it would be €20 for the month, and then the roam-like-home add-on would let you use your home minutes while in France. €35 would get you the €20 base-plan plus the 1GB EU data add-on, or €25 will get you the data only base-plan plus the 1GB EU data add-on.

To activate the Roam-like-home offer, free-text "Europe" to 50104 before you leave Ireland. To activate the 1GB EU data add-on, freetext "Data EU" to 50104.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Advertisement