Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very low upload speed

Options
  • 12-04-2015 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have eircom Fixed broadband in County Limerick (rural rather than town).

We've noticed that our connectivity has been very sluggish of late.

Tonight, I was uploading a 300MB video clip. I knew it would take time, but it was only 40% complete after 3 hours

I turned off the wifi on other devices... like tablets and mobile phones.

When I did a speed test on eircom's website, I got 0.63mbps download and 0.09mbps upload speeds.

I guess this is the cause of my issue.

Surely these speeds are miles below a minimum acceptable standard?

I believe we pay for 3MB package. Thankfully I don't upload much but 0.09 mbps is pedestrian.

I might add that we have a Netgear booster to improve the signal already.

Is there anything that can be done please? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have eircom Fixed broadband in County Limerick (rural rather than town).

We've noticed that our connectivity has been very sluggish of late.

Tonight, I was uploading a 300MB video clip. I knew it would take time, but it was only 40% complete after 3 hours

I turned off the wifi on other devices... like tablets and mobile phones.

When I did a speed test on eircom's website, I got 0.63mbps download and 0.09mbps upload speeds.

I guess this is the cause of my issue.

Surely these speeds are miles below a minimum acceptable standard?

I believe we pay for 3MB package. Thankfully I don't upload much but 0.09 mbps is pedestrian.

I might add that we have a Netgear booster to improve the signal already.

Is there anything that can be done please? 
    Hi Jimbob1977

Sorry to hear of the duration of that upload - I can understand your feelings on this. There is no minimum upload speed advised and broadband is provided on the terms of 'up to' the achievable upload speed. If you would like to PM me your land line number I will be happy to see what the maximum achievable upload speed is.

One thing that will have a large impact on upload (and download speed) is using uploading over WIFI rather than directly connecting to the modem via the yellow Ethernet cable)

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement