Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair loss

Options
  • 12-04-2015 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is in the right forum. I was hoping for some advice if any body has ever been in the same situation as me.

I am a 28 year old female who suffers from Sleep apnoea and fibromyalgia. I cannot seem to lose weight no matter how hard I try and it is very demoralising. I've followed the same slimming plans as friends and family and they have lost significant amounts of weight.

My other worry is my hair for the last two years it is becoming really thin all over. I used to have waist length thick hair and now it is just past my shoulders and won't grow. My scalp can be seen quite clearly through my hair. I don't have bald patches, it just seems to be less hair on the scalp, for example if say there used to be approx. 100 hairs per 2 " scalp ,there would be now approx. 40 hairs.

My thyroid levels came back fine and my Gp is just giving me the brush off now.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

You poor thing its horrible when you feel youre getting the brush off.

Find a new GP keep looking until you get one you feel hears you.

Have you tried homeopathy? I know its contraversial but it may help, it helped me for something else.

Good luck xxx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Other things can cause hair loss and weight gain. It would be prudent to get broad spectrum blood tests done. I'd suggest you include the likes of an FDP test (D-Dimers) alongside tests for unusual adrenal readings.

Its understandable why your GP focused on TFTs- because they are one of the more common issues out there- however, there are other factors which could give similar symptoms to those you're describing. If your own GP won't investigate- I would suggest you might like to ask another GP for assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dee1983

Hi Satsuma,

I would be willing to try anything at this stage. Have you any suggestions? For weight loss I've tried slimming world, cutting out carbs, drinking fresh lemon juice and grape juice squeezed in water which upped my water intake. I also switched my dinner plate to a side plate for smaller portions.

For the hair loss, I have tried Vitamin supplements for hair , skin and nails , along side biotin and cod liver oil. I've tried expensive treatments. I've tried using almond oil, coconut oil etc along with essential oils that are supposed to help hair loss.

Hi The Conductor,

What is an FDP test? Also I forgot to mention that it's not just the hair on my head that is thinning. My eyelashes have thinned a lot and likewise my eyebrows have gone very sparse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

dee1983 wrote: »
    Hi The Conductor,

What is an FDP test? Also I forgot to mention that it's not just the hair on my head that is thinning. My eyelashes have thinned a lot and likewise my eyebrows have gone very sparse as well.

have you had blood tests at all yet? It could be anything at all and if you get a full panel done you will have a starting point.

• Advertisement

Hi, so far. I've just had blood tests checking on my thyroid levels. I would have had numerous other blood tests about 6 years ago when I was originally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but then again my hair loss didn't start till about 2 years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

What medications are you on? It's possible your problems are partly due to side-effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

dee1983 wrote: »
    Hi Satsuma,

I would be willing to try anything at this stage. Have you any suggestions? For weight loss I've tried slimming world, cutting out carbs, drinking fresh lemon juice and grape juice squeezed in water which upped my water intake. I also switched my dinner plate to a side plate for smaller portions.

For the hair loss, I have tried Vitamin supplements for hair , skin and nails , along side biotin and cod liver oil. I've tried expensive treatments. I've tried using almond oil, coconut oil etc along with essential oils that are supposed to help hair loss.

Hi Dee. I suffer from Graves. My mam had thyroid issues 10 years ago she had thinning hair. Vitamin tablet are no good for years she suffered. Have you heard of Visiscal maximum strength these tablets will work for you it will take six months before you notice an improvement and there not cheap around 90 to 100 euro for 180 tablets taking two a day for the first year. Anyway hope this helps you. Stay strong.

Advertisement