Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

All tankers are much the same. Basically, it's a tank and a pump. Main thing to watch for is rust on the tank, so get in under any you are thinking of buying and have a look. Then, it's the pump itself. Get it motoring and ensure the vanes and all are working good. You don't want to see oil/**** out of the pressure valve. Then check for oil leaks around rams and pipes, and check brakes (if any).

Of course, if yer buying new, an Abbey be 100%

Some of the older ones didn't have great access for if you needed to clean stones/silt out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Rather you then me going on a public road so, you’d be totally in the wrong if someone ploughs into the back of you, Pottinger here has a brilliant set of indicators and warning lights on the back, you’d think they would be a mandatory feature on any new mower

You can just about make out the light but regulation states only machines that stick out more than 6ft from the back of the machine need lights. Should be standard on all mowers tho. Krone are the very same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    You can just about make out the light but regulation states only machines that stick out more than 6ft from the back of the machine need lights. Should be standard on all mowers tho. Krone are the very same

You're supposed to see the lights of the vehicle in front ''at a glance''
    I don't think ''just about make out '' qualifies

wrangler wrote: »
    You're supposed to see the lights of the vehicle in front ''at a glance''
    I don't think ''just about make out '' qualifies

Where does it say that in legislation?

Anyways from the rear you can clearly see the 2 beacons, the 2 number plate lights, the 2 brake lights, the left indicator and the right indicator is sometimes partly covered be the mower.

Additionally the tractor itself is a big blue thing and the mower a big red thing complete with reflective strips on it. After all that you still think if someone hits me from behind then is my fault?

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Rather you then me going on a public road so, you’d be totally in the wrong if someone ploughs into the back of you, Pottinger here has a brilliant set of indicators and warning lights on the back, you’d think they would be a mandatory feature on any new mower

Not the case. You hit anyone from behind your at fault. That's always the case due to you driving without due care and attention, hence the ads expect the unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Anyways from the rear you can clearly see the 2 beacons, the 2 number plate lights, the 2 brake lights, the left indicator and the right indicator is sometimes partly covered be the mower.

Additionally the tractor itself is a big blue thing and the mower a big red thing complete with reflective strips on it. After all that you still think if someone hits me from behind then is my fault?

If you are turning right it will be. At least they could have a strong argument which could be avoided with a set of lights.
    12. I have interchangeable towed equipment (for example, a baler, crop sprayer, grass rake and so on) in my yard
    that has no lights. Do the revised lighting and visibility standards apply to these type of vehicles?

Yes. However, such equipment will only need lights if, when attached to a tractor or self-propelled agricultural
    machine, it blocks the lighting and reflectors fitted to the front or rear of the tractor or self-propelled agricultural
    machine itself.

From FAQ section at end of this RSA page.
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Vehicle-Standards/Agricultural-Vehicles/Lighting-and-Visibility/

emaherx wrote: »
    If you are turning right it will be. At least they could have a strong argument which could be avoided with a set of lights.

But the indicator can be seen. Tedders are far worse as they cover both sides and many lads dont bother with lights at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Right indicator is very important, can't believe you're not putting lights on it, you're more particular than most

Anyways that enough internet for me. Dont know what it is about posters here if its jealousy or what but they just cant wish someone well and leave it at that.

The slightest thing has to criticised. Was the very same when the tractor arrived. Certain posters had to find faults with it and argue where a different brand is superior.

Begrudgry is a terrible thing.

But the indicator can be seen. Tedders are far worse as they cover both sides and many lads dont bother with lights at all.

Never said I wasnt putting lights on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Anyways that enough internet for me. Dont know what it is about posters here if its jealousy or what but they just cant wish someone well and leave it at that.

The slightest thing has to criticised. Was the very same when the tractor arrived. Certain posters had to find faults with it and argue where a different brand is superior.

Don't worry bout it Reggie. You're a great poster here that's full of details that others wouldn't share at all. Probably why people question you so much. I'd say not many here would have things as right as you, I certainly don't haha

Holy crap Reggie! It's not jealousy at all. I find lightning very important even on old crap like mine. I use magnetic lights on my mower and take them off while mowing and put them back when going on the road.

I wish you luck with your new equipment, but if your mower partially obstructs your tractor lighting and you have an accident turning right you will be found at fault, I only responded to you stating you couldn't be found at fault if rear ended.

Will we put up a few pictures of our mowers to see what faults we can find?
    I'll put one up of our marrangon later _lights would be the least of my problems ha.

The same rule applies to them.
    I wouldn't mind about the many lads either, you don't pay their insurance ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

To you, me and everyone else here, this makes sense BUT In this day and age...common sense not being too common and a growing number looking for a handy few quid, I'd go out of my way to light it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Suckler wrote: »
    To you, me and everyone else here, this makes sense BUT In this day and age...common sense not being too common and a growing number looking for a handy few quid, I'd go out of my way to light it up.

In the "Compo Culture" we have in this country, no business is safe from idiots.
    40 year old woman on a night out with friends, possibly a few drinks on board, falls off a swing that she willingly got up on.
    Sues owner of swing because "No instructions as to its use" and because it "wasnt supervised by a member of staff".
    Holy fuxx, and this from someone who thinks they are competent to run the country....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Here is an image of the 3228MN which I think is the one Reggie has. It does partially obscure the right light cluster, but if the person behind is keeping their distance and observing the lights and speed, it should not be an issue although it is non compliant.
    It would be ideal if there were a set of lights lower on the implement but having seen Reggie's stuff on here, I'd have no problem driving behind him.
    “(5) Subject to sub-article (6), where an agricultural tractor or self-propelled agricultural machine draws an agricultural trailer, interchangeable towed equipment or fully mounted agricultural equipment which obscures the lighting and reflectors fitted to either the front or rear of that tractor or self-propelled machine, the tractor or self-propelled machine shall not have complied with the lighting requirements specified in Part II unless a lighting board is fitted to the trailer, the interchangeable towed equipment or the fully mounted agricultural equipment.
    Ref: Lighting & Visibility Regulations

Not quite sure what the hullabaloo is all about as his first reply on it stated it was a fault - so he is aware of it. As a contractor I'd say he knows the regs as well if not better than the rest of us. I don't think he said he wasn't putting additional lights on it? The magnetic lights are a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Rare bird to see in Co. Cavan!
    Now, where's that Lotto slip...

8QfnYEy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Why is the filler cap so high? I assume that the tank goes back up under the cab floor and it is to stop diesel flowing back out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bullocks wrote: »
    Will we put up a few pictures of our mowers to see what faults we can find?
    I'll put one up of our marrangon later _lights would be the least of my problems ha.

Brilliant design on the Pottinger here to be fair, might be easy enough to fabricate something similar onto the kleverland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Back a good few years ago when combines were first becoming common, a farmer locally here bought one for contract work. One day, he was turning slowly off the main road into a field when a woman in a car banged into the back of him. Irately, she said to him, "I didn't see your indicator turned on". He replied, "Mam, if you couldn't see the combine, what chance had you of an indicator" :-)

Here is an image of the 3228MN which I think is the one Reggie has. It does partially obscure the right light cluster, but if the person behind is keeping their distance and observing the lights and speed, it should not be an issue although it is non compliant.
    It would be ideal if there were a set of lights lower on the implement but having seen Reggie's stuff on here, I'd have no problem driving behind him.

I certainly wasn't meant in anyway to make little of Reggies new machinery. But most manufacturers of mounted mowers don't attach any lighting which in this day and age is just wrong. And I agree if a person is keeping their distance and observing there should be no issue, but we've all experienced the idiots who over take regardless of what lighting/ indicators we have. I'd prefer if in an accident with such an idiot that they would have no argument about obscured or even partially obscured lights.

Here is a water tank that I use, if driving too close behind my tractor the tractors lights may be partially obscured and we all know once the idiot sitting too close behind decides it's time to over take he will look past all lights and look for upcoming traffic. €25 in Aldi for light bord leaves them with no argument if they over take while I'm turning.

IMG-20190520-173859.jpg
    image uploader

Sorry lads , I took few pics of the mower there and it wont let me attach it up saying the file is too big . I wouldn't mind but it's a small mower

. I wouldn't mind but it's a small mower

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Sorry lads , I took few pics of the mower there and it wont let me attach it up saying the file is too big . I wouldn't mind but it's a small mower

What were you filing? Can you not throw the file into the tractor, and take the photo again? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Lads, anyone have a MF80 loader. Have to make up the stands for a neighbour, if so, any chane of photos and a few measurements.

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Lads, anyone have a MF80 loader. Have to make up the stands for a neighbour, if so, any chane of photos and a few measurements.

I've an 880 loader which has very similar stand. The stand is just 2 lengths of solid square profile bar that slide down and are locked in place with 2 big bolts. Don't imagine you need to be too precise in the measurements, but what are you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

:D:D Open the file with MS Paint and save as a *.JPEG file. That reduces the file size.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

emaherx wrote:
    I've an 880 loader which has very similar stand. The stand is just 2 lengths of solid square profile bar that slide down and are locked in place with 2 big bolts. Don't imagine you need to be too precise in the measurements, but what are you looking for?

Even if you send on a few pictures, that would be perfect

• Advertisement

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Even if you send on a few pictures, that would be perfect

Will send on a few later or tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

New toy finally arrived

Well wear.

Looks nice and tidy folded up. Much easier than the JD's or similar that swing straight back behind.

:D:D  Open the file with MS Paint and save as a *.JPEG file. That reduces the file size.
    Ah stop I don't think I have MS Paint . I'll email or whatsapp them to any of ye that want to pop them up for me

Ah stop I don't think I have MS Paint . I'll email or whatsapp them to any of ye that want to pop them up for me

https://imgbb.com/

Use this link to upload.
    Then choose the BB code option and copy/paste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If u have smartphone you can download a resized app. I use "photo and picture" resizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Postimage.org is one of the best hosting sites imo.

Choose your pic hit upload then copy the hotlink for forums. Then paste it into your post here.

• Advertisement

Mower

Mower

Good man Muckit the app worked.
    Thanks Emerax aswell
    I hope it's worth the wait.
    It won't block the lights on the tractor anyhow

The brother is a much tidier than me. This is his mower and he cuts most of our silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Trailed mowers are gone out of fashion these days, haven’t seen one in use for years.

Odelay wrote: »
    Trailed mowers are gone out of fashion these days, haven’t seen one in use for years.

Keep an eye out at vintage shows for them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I sent them to myself on Facebook messenger, and then download the file, automatically resizes it then.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I sent them to myself on Facebook messenger, and then download the file, automatically resizes it then.

I'm not on face book either. Boards is as social as I get really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

The brother is a much tidier than me. This is his mower and he cuts most of our silage

At least your mower has a functioning driveshaft cover 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Don't think I've seen a mounted mower in my neck of the woods yet. Everyone uses trailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'm not on face book either. Boards is as social as I get really!

whats app does the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Same here but they are too expensive now given that the modern centre pivot cut every bit as clean. A few years back the cut from a mounted mower couldn't compare.

9935452 wrote: »
    At least your mower has a functioning driveshaft cover 😂😂

Ya, he would want to throw a new cover on his. He will too, and if he doesn't the old fella will because he is anal about handbrakes and PTO covers.

Ya, he would want to throw a new cover on his. He will too, and if he doesn't the old fella will because he is anal about handbrakes and PTO covers.

Well if there is something to be anal about it's probably not the worst idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Heavy crop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie is probably too busy for boards since yesterday morning.
    But if you're reading this I'm just after coming across a road accident involving a tractor, fold up vicon mower doing a right hand turn and a car passing out just as the tractor was turning in.
    The front wheel of the tractor collided with the front of the car and both are tooked up against a wall.

To me it looks like there's no indicators on the mower or else covered in grass. The right hand indicator on the tractor wouldn't have been visible.

But at the moment they are all waiting on the guards to show up.
    Strange thing was the accident occurred at the entrance to the machinery dealers yard where the mower was sold.

Reggie you said you were fitting lights but if you haven't already, get them on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement