Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What do people charge for loading, hauling and stacking bales. Roughly a mile draw.

Have 2 fellas that helped us out this year. 1 was charging 45 per hour and the other is charging 45 plus VAT

Moving bales is outrageously expensive, especially when they have to go up on a trailer. Typically you are looking at a load per hour when you have a couple of mile draw, say 15 bales on a load means its 3 euro per bale to move them. It makes the bale insanely expensive. And if you were strapping each bale down as your supposed to then god knows how much more expensive it would be.

Having them beside the yard makes it a lot cheaper - we were baling and moving 45 an hour beside the yard and that brings it down to a much more paletable euro per bale

Moving bales is the biggest problem with them - we try to stack the vast majority now in outyards and just move as needed in winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

Panch18 wrote: »
    Have 2 fellas that helped us out this year. 1 was charging 45 per hour and the other is charging 45 plus VAT

Moving bales is outrageously expensive, especially when they have to go up on a trailer. Typically you are looking at a load per hour when you have a couple of mile draw, say 15 bales on a load means its 3 euro per bale to move them. It makes the bale insanely expensive. And if you were strapping each bale down as your supposed to then god knows how much more expensive it would be.

Having them beside the yard makes it a lot cheaper - we were baling and moving 45 an hour beside the yard and that brings it down to a much more paletable euro per bale

Moving bales is the biggest problem with them - we try to stack the vast majority now in outyards and just move as needed in winter
    I'd rather be getting the lad without the vat in future. Vat is a killer when you can't get it back .

mengele wrote: »
    I'd rather be getting the lad without the vat in future. Vat is a killer when you can't get it back .

Oh we normally do get the without VAT guy - he's some fella to move bales in fairness to him, and I don't think he's holed a bale yet.

But we had 300 to move, the weather wasn't great and couldn't get the regular guy so to be honest I was glad to pay the VAT to yer man

But VAT is some killer on top of jobs - it's a real kick in the balls on top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Oh we normally do get the without VAT guy - he's some fella to move bales in fairness to him, and I don't think he's holed a bale yet.

But we had 300 to move, the weather wasn't great and couldn't get the regular guy so to be honest I was glad to pay the VAT to yer man

But VAT is some killer on top of jobs - it's a real kick in the balls on top

To be honest you have to pay vat

Reggie. wrote: »
    To be honest you have to pay vat

you do if the guy is registered - but our bale fella is probably under the threshold for registering

I'm just saying that it adds some amount to costs of getting stuff done

you do if the guy is registered - but our bale fella is probably under the threshold for registering

I'm just saying that it adds some amount to costs of getting stuff done

From the FCI meetings of late you'll shortly have to have invoices for everything in the near future in order to claim off your tax at end of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

From the FCI meetings of late you'll shortly have to have invoices for everything in the near future in order to claim off your tax at end of year

This has always been the case. You need an invoice to be sure of surviving an audit in fairness.

I think the whole contractor system is gone a bit mad. From what I can see most contractor's business models are completely unsustainable.

In my lifetime (and I'm only in my mid thirties) the usual contractors tractor has gone from a 100hp Ford 7600 (Or maybe the odd 3040) to some enormous 300hp Fendt. The harvester has gone from a Mengele to a 1000hp monster, and the mowers have gone from Deere 1360 to a big X. On average everything is 3x the size it was in the early 90's. I don't think there is 3x the amount of work being done, but there are far fewer contractors.

Farmers have massive expectations, but don't want to play their part in financing this mad gear and no one wants to engage in the glorified slavery of driving for these guys. All this gear and expense is for a very low value product; mere grass. While hauliers might have €1m worth of stock in the back of Scania, our good contractors are using €300k machines to horse €300 of grass around the place.

I honestly think there needs to be a rowing back from the big outfits to a more collaborative system of machinery ownership. At the end of the day, few farmers need to be able to cut more than 60 ac a day. It would make more sense if the smaller farmers grouped together and hired their time and machinery, but probably won't do it as they will prefer fooling around with a few sucklers or sheep.

maidhc wrote: »
    This has always been the case. You need an invoice to be sure of surviving an audit in fairness.

I think the whole contractor system is gone a bit mad. From what I can see most contractor's business models are completely unsustainable.

In my lifetime (and I'm only in my mid thirties) the usual contractors tractor has gone from a 100hp Ford 7600 (Or maybe the odd 3040) to some enormous 300hp Fendt. The harvester has gone from a Mengele to a 1000hp monster, and the mowers have gone from Deere 1360 to a big X. On average everything is 3x the size it was in the early 90's. I don't think there is 3x the amount of work being done, but there are far fewer contractors.

Farmers have massive expectations, but don't want to play their part in financing this mad gear and no one wants to engage in the glorified slavery of driving for these guys. All this gear and expense is for a very low value product; mere grass. While hauliers might have €1m worth of stock in the back of Scania, our good contractors are using €300k machines to horse €300 of grass around the place.

I honestly think there needs to be a rowing back from the big outfits to a more collaborative system of machinery ownership. At the end of the day, few farmers need to be able to cut more than 60 ac a day. It would make more sense if the smaller farmers grouped together and hired their time and machinery, but probably won't do it as they will prefer fooling around with a few sucklers or sheep.

I'm working off that kinda model. 140hp machine here and shes plenty big enough. All my machines are moderate size. Paired up with a few lads where I provide mowing and raking for them and I'll get them baling jobs. More versatility with us rather than one man doing it all type of outfit

Another addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Another addition.
    What does it do. It looks like a turnip seeder of some kind but your not into veg so I presume it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Base price wrote: »
    What does it do. It looks like a turnip seeder of some kind but your not into veg so I presume it's not.

Air seeder for the harrow I’d say.

Airseeder for the powerharrow. For sowing grass and the likes. Will look like this eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Airseeder for the powerharrow. For sowing grass and the likes. Will look like this eventually
    From memory you had a yellow one before. Is this new one the bees knees :)
    Also is that a camera on it to see how much seed is used/left.

From memory you had a yellow one before. Is this new one the bees knees :)
    Also is that a camera on it to see how much seed is used/left.

Have the APV aswell. The APV would be fancier than this one. It's more of a robust one for the powerharrow as it's more mechanical than electronic

Some pics of the 6-140C so far this year

Some more

Last ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

I was just remarking how clean you were keeping her in the first batch of pics.....then I started on the second batch... :eek: ;)

Fine looking tractor! She doesn't seen to be idle anyway.. What's the difference between the C and H in those models?

hopeso wrote: »
    I was just remarking how clean you were keeping her in the first batch of pics.....then I started on the second batch... :eek: ;)

Fine looking tractor! She doesn't seen to be idle anyway.. What's the difference between the C and H in those models?

That was the bloody lime from reseeding. Got bloody everywhere

• Advertisement

That was the bloody lime from reseeding. Got bloody everywhere

I'd say lime spreading must be the worst job ever... Any time I see someone spreading, my first thought is, what state is the tractor in....

I'd say lime spreading must be the worst job ever... Any time I see someone spreading, my first thought is, what state is the tractor in....

It's supposed to cause issues with ad blue tractors. The talk is that the lime and urea dont get on with one another

The H has the same chassis as the C. Has a different can tho. Well played out but no suspension. The H has a 3.6l deutz engine.

The C is a hardier machine. It has a bigger cab with suspension. Runs an Iveco 4.5l engine.

Strangely the H has a rear lift of 6 ton where the C has 5.5 ton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Lads around here, my first thought is "what state are their lungs in"..

4jCrGaZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Fair play Reggie outfit is top class It's great to see how you've expanded the fleet over time we'll wear with all. I'd love if a local contractor had that tine harrow few fields here badly could use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Lads around here, my first thought is "what state are their lungs in"..

4jCrGaZ.jpg

Did you post that pic a good while back as well Nek?
    Looks the kinda kit that’s been on the go a long time... funny how you expect almost every tractor now to be 4 wheel drive, but I guess lime is prob the one job that you’d expect good conditions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I think that spreader might be ground drive. Edit it's says it on the side I'm blind ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Looks the kinda kit that’s been on the go a long time... funny how you expect almost every tractor now to be 4 wheel drive, but I guess lime is prob the one job that you’d expect good conditions...

Lime spreading around here would be hp hungry work enough travelling a good bit of ploughed ground for tillage men.

I did indeed, must be two years ago at least.
    I was coming down the road as he was spreading.
    Heading up a steepish hill, load nearly empty and yer man was standing in the spreader shovelling the last of it onto the belt....

With the ground speed PTO, it is 4 wheel drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I did indeed, must be two years ago at least.
    I was coming down the road as he was spreading.
    Heading up a steepish hill, load nearly empty and yer man was standing in the spreader shovelling the last of it onto the belt....

With the ground speed PTO, it is 4 wheel drive.

I thought land drive was the lime spreader was driven off the wheels of the spreader rather than the PTO?

But is it that the PTO drives the wheels of the spreader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I thought land drive was the lime spreader was driven off the wheels of the spreader rather than the PTO?

Is it not the conveyor only, driven off the wheels?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

I must spread a few loads. What roughly does it cost to spread a lorry (20ton). Loading and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I must spread a few loads. What roughly does it cost to spread a lorry (20ton). Loading and all

About 23euro a tonne round here, 22euro a tonne for a full load, lime and spreading.

On a "ground drive" set up, the PTO shaft is driven by the tractors back wheels.
    On those lime spreaders the PTO drive coming from the tractor is powering the spinners and belt on the spreader, and also driving the spreaders wheels.
    Massey's and Fiats had a ground speed PTO, not sure what other makes had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Some pics of the 6-140C so far this year

Local landini dealer over here was telling me they are now canging the profile of the tyres for some contractors on there new landinis . The tyres change is leaving them with a top speed of 62km an hour .

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Local landini dealer over here was telling me they are now canging the profile of the tyres for some contractors on there new landinis . The tyres change is leaving them with a top speed of 62km an hour .

Nah. They can reach 50k with adjustments. 60k sounds a little too far fetched and dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Do you have an agitator Reggie? Is it so much a load or so much an hr for tanking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Nah. They can reach 50k with adjustments. 60k sounds a little too far fetched and dangerous

Would of been a slightly bigger tractor than your one about 200hp deaux engine and box afaik . Would of had 50k box as standard . Didn't believe him at first but had some trailers in for a long draw .landini was keeping up with new FasTrack was impressed to say the least . Very few landinis over here very much tractor snobs in this area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Id imagine there not calibrating correctly for the new tyres?

Would of been a slightly bigger tractor than your one about 200hp deaux engine and box afaik . Would of had 50k box as standard . Didn't believe him at first but had some trailers in for a long draw .landini was keeping up with new FasTrack was impressed to say the least . Very few landinis over here very much tractor snobs in this area

Thst was a 7 series so. Next one up from mine

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you have an agitator Reggie? Is it so much a load or so much an hr for tanking?

No and not sure if I'll get one. Probably will in time tho. The tanker is per hour. Have to put dribble bars on her in the back end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No and not sure if I'll get one. Probably will in time tho. The tanker is per hour. Have to put dribble bars on her in the back end

You keeping the moscha or changing?

You keeping the moscha or changing?

Moscha is staying with it

The H has the same chassis as the C. Has a different can tho. Well played out but no suspension. The H has a 3.6l deutz engine.

The C is a hardier machine. It has a bigger cab with suspension. Runs an Iveco 4.5l engine.

Strangely the H has a rear lift of 6 ton where the C has 5.5 ton.

Almost two different tractors altogether then..... I just assumed one was a higher spec, or maybe a different gearbox. What HP does the 3.6l Deutz go up to? Seems like a small block in that size of tractor....

Almost two different tractors altogether then..... I just assumed one was a higher spec, or maybe a different gearbox. What HP does the 3.6l Deutz go up to? Seems like a small block in that size of tractor....

The C would be the higher spec one. The 6H goes to 125 I think and the C goes from 125 to 145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can I ask why you are putting on dribble bars, yet keeping the moscha? Does different crops react to different types or is it for ground conditions?

You previously posted some photos of some grass you spread back to back with a splashplate and the moscha. How did they turn out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Can I ask why you are putting on dribble bars, yet keeping the moscha? Does different crops react to different types or is it for ground conditions?

You previously posted some photos of some grass you spread back to back with a splashplate and the moscha. How did they turn out?

Don;t derogation farms have to use dribble bars after june.

Some farms are now in deragation so need the bars and some places I go to only want the moscha and not the splash plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Can anyone recommend a good degreaser? Need to clean tractor and looking for something decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Sillycave wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good degreaser? Need to clean tractor and looking for something decent

Diesel and hot wash

Terrible for envirnoment mind

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    Diesel and hot wash

Terrible for envirnoment mind

Never use hot wash here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement